Powered by Outside

Need to buy a chainsaw!

PB Forum :: Trail Building
Need to buy a chainsaw!
Posted: Feb 12, 2014 at 7:02 Quote
15 years old and you want a chainsaw??? its not a toy mate, buy a bow saw for the trails, you cut yaself cuz you were playing withit you are royally f*cked.

Posted: Feb 12, 2014 at 7:13 Quote
I use a hand saw or machete for cutting down trees. Takes ages if the trunk is thick but makes me much more selective in what to cut down. Also there is far more satisfaction when i put a lot of work into doing something.

Posted: Feb 28, 2014 at 18:10 Quote
For years I cleared local trails with just a bow saw and an axe. Didn't take much longer, cheap so I had more cash, and it was a great workout. I'd suggest a fiskars axe, I can fall a tree with a sharp one of those in a couple swings.

With that being said, I now have a MS 170. It's small, fast, and its also scary. When I first started I thought it wasn't so bad, pretty easy to handle the saw. But then your saw kicks back or a tree you are cutting falls and almost crushes you. That kind of stuff really gives you a reality check and reminds you that you aren't the boss. You probably think its no big deal running a saw but that thing can wreck your life quick.

It's like shooting a gun, bud. Good techniques and proper safety measures you will be golden. Buying a gun on a whim your gonna end up with a bullet in your foot. If you don't listen to us who advise against it (at your age), at least get the need proper equipment (head, eye, ear, leg) at minimum, and ideally proper training or lessons from an experienced operator.

Posted: May 5, 2014 at 1:35 Quote
Ok, i have an opportunity to buy a saw, its only $30 and it looks pretty good (its used), i will most likely buy it, i have also set aside $150 for protective gear what d you suggest i get?

Posted: May 5, 2014 at 1:40 Quote
I would suggest you go take a safety course then reassess. Your parents would probably pay for the course.

Posted: May 5, 2014 at 1:41 Quote
yh think ill probably do that

Posted: Apr 6, 2023 at 0:17 Quote
Chainsaw is not for kids. It can harm you, it can cause you injury with a sudden kickback. You need to learn how to avoid kickback and injury while using chainsaw ( https://sawadvise.com/how-to-prevent-chainsaw-kickback-and-injury/ ). That is why your parents are right

Posted: Jun 29, 2023 at 4:35 Quote
He is 25 now bud…

Posted: Jul 17, 2023 at 11:18 Quote
James-Carey wrote:
He is 25 now bud…

This is one of the older threads I'm subbed too, it's amazing how many feel the need to answer the same stuff over and over!

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.019360
Mobile Version of Website