What to expect with a torn ACL & MCL

PB Forum :: Fitness, Training and Health
What to expect with a torn ACL & MCL
Posted: Jun 6, 2015 at 17:30 Quote
MilkweedSeed wrote:
Just got back from a light trail ride. Was awesome to be back on the bike!!!
Feeling a bit sore, but planning to hit something a little more challenging tomorrow. No pain no gain. Speedy recovery to all and be safe

Exactly the sentiment i want to hear/read/see Smile

Posted: Jun 6, 2015 at 20:36 Quote
My little Kyle has his last regular season ice hockey game (they're undefeated Cool ) early in the morning. Then it's time to ride!!! Looking to go for 3 hoursSmile . And wrap up the day with a little fire wood cutting. Can't wait!!!

Posted: Jun 7, 2015 at 16:03 Quote
Congrats on getting back on the bike...... great feeling I bet and you still got most of the summer left.

FL
Posted: Jul 2, 2015 at 14:10 Quote
Justachillin2 wrote:
Strewthm8 wrote:
Just had my ACL operation bout 5 weeks ago. Took 3yrs from initial injury, but glad it's done now. Back on bike after 5 weeks, but taking it very easy. Surgeon said long as movements in straight line should be fine. Do worry bout pushing to hard, but when on the bike, it's hard not to.
Well hope you guys are all OK and finally getting back out on your bikes, even if it is only leisurely rides.

Nice! That's pretty quick! From what I heard is that you don't need your acl but it could pop out at any time and it's pretty much wearing a brace for any activity. I just got my bandages off today and good lord. It wasn't just with a scope for my mcl. It's like a 7 inch incision. I would post a pic but don't know if it would be appropriate.

Just had my 6 week follow up. He told me to finally ditch the crutches. First thing I asked was when can I ride again. He laughed and said stay off the trails for 6 months. Screw that. He said I could ride on the road lightly now and full out on the road in 6 more weeks. I don't know how you are riding trails after 5 weeks. I guess people heal different. I'm just glad I'm walking again.

Posted: Jul 2, 2015 at 16:49 Quote
Meniscus damage will increase the recovery time. Also depends the kind of condition you go into the sugery with.... plus the steps you take after.

My understanding is that some people feel pretty much 100% even before its completely healed. It takes 6 months at least and anything risky before its fully healed (whether you feel great or not) is not a good idea. ACL is a funny thing.... you dont always use it or need it but when you do you want your new ACL to be fully healed.

My problem right now is Im doing so well without my ACL Im startimg to question getting the surgery at all. Its a mind game.

Posted: Jul 3, 2015 at 2:02 Quote
If you're riding XC style trail centre stuff and taking it easy I can't see it being any madder than riding on the road.

Full on DH would be a stretch and I wouldn't recommend that, in fact my mate did exactly that after a month of healing he was straight back out smashing heavy lines, within 3 months he was back to square one. He didn't even know he'd stapped it again!

That said, my Meniscus is shafted as well so I'm guessing I'll be in the same slow boat to recovery :-(

FL
Posted: Jul 3, 2015 at 5:39 Quote
Unsecure image, only https images allowed: http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y126/justachillin2/C47E2FE3-5783-4F5F-8E61-E7352F04078D.jpg
jskiff wrote:
If you're riding XC style trail centre stuff and taking it easy I can't see it being any madder than riding on the road.

Full on DH would be a stretch and I wouldn't recommend that, in fact my mate did exactly that after a month of healing he was straight back out smashing heavy lines, within 3 months he was back to square one. He didn't even know he'd stapped it again!

That said, my Meniscus is shafted as well so I'm guessing I'll be in the same slow boat to recovery :-(

yeah that's what I'm afraid off. I'll take it easy for sure. [IMG]http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y126/justachillin2/C47E2FE3-5783-4F5F-8E61-E7352F04078D.jpg[/IMG]

FL
Posted: Jul 3, 2015 at 5:40 Quote
Justachillin2 wrote:
jskiff wrote:

yeah that's what I'm afraid off. I'll take it easy for sure.

Posted: Jul 3, 2015 at 7:20 Quote
Justachillin2 wrote:
Justachillin2 wrote:
jskiff wrote:

F*ck me!

That's well put me off having the Op haha

I thought it was done via keyhole?

FL
Posted: Jul 3, 2015 at 8:53 Quote
jskiff wrote:
Justachillin2 wrote:
Justachillin2 wrote:

F*ck me!

Lol yours will. That was from the mcl graph. I tore it in the middle when normally it tears on either end. It tends not to re grow in the middle. So now I have a huge scar and some dead guy as my new mcl and acl. You will be fine. Make sure you ask for a nerve block though.

Posted: Jul 3, 2015 at 8:57 Quote
Justachillin2 wrote:
jskiff wrote:
Justachillin2 wrote:

F*ck me!

Lol yours will. That was from the mcl graph. I tore it in the middle when normally it tears on either end. It tends not to re grow in the middle. So now I have a huge scar and some dead guy as my new mcl and acl. You will be fine. Make sure you ask for a nerve block though.

I don't know dude......

My MCL is hyper extended, the meniscus at the back of my knee is torn and my ACL has completely snapped!

They are using my Hamstring I believe so no dead dudes or anything. at least you're on the mend though fella :-)

FL
Posted: Jul 3, 2015 at 9:18 Quote
jskiff wrote:
Justachillin2 wrote:
jskiff wrote:

F*ck me!

I don't know dude......

My MCL is hyper extended, the meniscus at the back of my knee is torn and my ACL has completely snapped!

They are using my Hamstring I believe so no dead dudes or anything. at least you're on the mend though fella :-)
You will be fine. You can see the little hole where they did the acl and meniscus. There are two of them. They pull the new acl through the top which is another little hole and snap it in place. Don't worry. You will be fine. Trust me. Been through two already. Lol

Posted: Jul 3, 2015 at 11:13 Quote
Justachillin2 wrote:
jskiff wrote:
Justachillin2 wrote:

I don't know dude......

You will be fine. You can see the little hole where they did the acl and meniscus. There are two of them. They pull the new acl through the top which is another little hole and snap it in place. Don't worry. You will be fine. Trust me. Been through two already. Lol

Cheers dude feel a bit better now haha Smile

Posted: Jul 3, 2015 at 19:00 Quote
Wow that is serious gnar scar for the MCL dude. I completely tore (grade 3) both my mcl and acl (no meniscus damage). The doc says I have a lax MCL now but Im bow leg'ed enough that it shouldnt be a problem. Im 5 months out from the injury and doing everything I want to including DH mountain biking. I do have some pain in the MCL and hamstring region still but strength , balance etc. is good. I havent really tested it with pivoting sports like basketball, football, squash ect and would like to ski (or switch to snowboard again) again. I have played a little basketball and soccer with the kids but nothing serious.

I find its screws with my head the fact that I can do so much but still need a surgery that will put me back at least half a year to do the things Im doing right now.

Posted: Jul 16, 2015 at 12:22 Quote
That MCL scar looks FRIGGIN NASTY dude! Best of luck to you.
My knee is still not great, seems like I will take longer to heal than anticipated. Starting to get pains in the hamstring area, where they harvested the graft. Supposed to see doctor in October, but may need to call in a early visit. Therapist thinks I have tendinitis, may be pushing myself to much. The patella tendon has been on fire the last 3 weeks, since I went to a water park with my boys. I guess the inclined walking barefoot on the blacktop is the main culprit.

Hears to healing those knees!Beer

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.035365
Mobile Version of Website