Powered by Outside

Ditching the Knock Bloc

PB Forum :: Trek
Ditching the Knock Bloc
Posted: Aug 15, 2021 at 17:25 Quote
Mitch - I plan to keep my knock block on my 2020 EX 7, but I just noticed that when the bars/forks are turned to the stop, with slight pressure they will turn about another 10 degrees (each side), but with noticeable resistance. I looked up how it works and it doesnt make sense to me. Any advise? Bike has about 1000miles. Thanks!

Posted: Aug 16, 2021 at 10:03 Quote
Jimmyshoe wrote:
Mitch - I plan to keep my knock block on my 2020 EX 7, but I just noticed that when the bars/forks are turned to the stop, with slight pressure they will turn about another 10 degrees (each side), but with noticeable resistance. I looked up how it works and it doesnt make sense to me. Any advise? Bike has about 1000miles. Thanks!

That is normal! The interlocking tabs for the spacers and stem are sized slightly different: the tabs are smaller than the channels they fit into. This allows there to be a little excess movement when turning with force to each side.

-Mitch

Posted: Oct 29, 2021 at 21:43 Quote
hi mith

hOW DO I REMOVE THE KLNOCK BLOCK ON THE TREK SLASGH CARBON 2021?
!!!

no spacer lokc ring in stock by the way.. i need to remove completely

trek wrote:
shorelocal wrote:
Anyone tried successfully removing the knock bloc and replacing with a standard headset? Or even better, replacing with an angleset? If so, what level of success did you have? What are the specific bearing sizes (top and bottom)?

I understand the risk but I'm willing to take the chance ... I just want to slacken out my HA and install a 10mm longer fork.

Just wanted to jump in here. We don't advise an Angleset HS with the Knock Block HS as the two would not interface. Removing the Knock Block is also not a good idea since you risk the fork crown hitting the frame. If you are just trying to run your own stem, purchase the Knock Block Lockring Spacer (545523) and put it at the bottom of your stack and throw your stem of choice on top.

-Mitch

Posted: Nov 8, 2021 at 9:39 Quote
FastRiding wrote:
hi mith

hOW DO I REMOVE THE KLNOCK BLOCK ON THE TREK SLASGH CARBON 2021?
!!!

no spacer lokc ring in stock by the way.. i need to remove completely

trek wrote:
shorelocal wrote:
Anyone tried successfully removing the knock bloc and replacing with a standard headset? Or even better, replacing with an angleset? If so, what level of success did you have? What are the specific bearing sizes (top and bottom)?

I understand the risk but I'm willing to take the chance ... I just want to slacken out my HA and install a 10mm longer fork.

Just wanted to jump in here. We don't advise an Angleset HS with the Knock Block HS as the two would not interface. Removing the Knock Block is also not a good idea since you risk the fork crown hitting the frame. If you are just trying to run your own stem, purchase the Knock Block Lockring Spacer (545523) and put it at the bottom of your stack and throw your stem of choice on top.

-Mitch

IDK who this "mith" guy is, but I got your answer.

You'll want to order the blank Knock Block chip for your 2021 Slash, then swap it with the tabbed chip to have no more Knock Block for all those x-ups you could ever want! The part number for the blank chip is: W1048249

-Mitch

Posted: Nov 20, 2021 at 23:40 Quote
trek wrote:
Nick1982 wrote:
I've bought a knock block spacer so i could change my stem and it doesn't work.
When i turn the handlebars to full lock it stops but apply a little bit more pressure and it carries on turning.
Any help would be much appreciated
????????

With the Knock Block Lockring spacer on the bottom of the stack and the tab in the groove (arrow lined up as well), there will still be a small amount of movement. But it should stop at the end of the turn.

-Mitch

I have this problem, I reported it to the trek and they don't give a shit, and there are more people like me, more than one fork has hit the frame.

They "trek" offered me a crash replacement for frame, but it's not a good solution for me. I spent a lot of money on a bike on purpose, a knock block that was supposed to work does not work, and now I have to spend another money on a new frame because the knock block did not work?

Views: 266    Faves: 0    Comments: 0

Posted: Dec 5, 2021 at 15:01 Quote
For anyone still lurching this fourm, this is a good way to remove knock block, Cam McCaul, one of Trek's own riders, used this to lift the frame from the fork.

https://reverse-components.com/en/products/05%C2%B0-angle-spacer-tapered-forks

in this video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K5zH4baY0WY

(he's even the one to present it lol https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c8EApFT2jYA )

For the spec and angle weenies, if you run it in the high setting it'll be fine, and also if you think your bike will explode with a half-degree difference, either your bike isn't built good, or you're just thinking too much.

Good luck!

Posted: Dec 16, 2021 at 23:27 Quote
is the reverse enough for a rail? i have a german made one thats about twice as big. gives about 1° more slack to the head angle.

Posted: Dec 17, 2021 at 10:18 Quote
jensongroff wrote:
For anyone still lurching this fourm, this is a good way to remove knock block, Cam McCaul, one of Trek's own riders, used this to lift the frame from the fork.

https://reverse-components.com/en/products/05%C2%B0-angle-spacer-tapered-forks

in this video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K5zH4baY0WY

(he's even the one to present it lol https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c8EApFT2jYA )

For the spec and angle weenies, if you run it in the high setting it'll be fine, and also if you think your bike will explode with a half-degree difference, either your bike isn't built good, or you're just thinking too much.

Good luck!

Only then do you lose your guarantees ... what you propose is not recommended by the trek company.

Posted: Jan 2, 2022 at 6:57 Quote
Had my stem machined to fit knock block.
Bontrager needs to make more compatible stems.
Machined a Syntace 66mm 17deg.stem to get low on my supercal.
Worked perfect and the knock block still protects the frame.

FL
Posted: Dec 14, 2022 at 9:19 Quote
Has anyone tried getting a machine shop to make a 'double thickness' lockring?

So instead of the 10mm one which a lot of people have had issue with not gripping the stem enough to prevent rotation it would have a greater surface area making contact. Probably cost prohibitive but if someone had the skills or handy friend it might be worth a shot.

Posted: Jan 4, 2023 at 10:05 Quote
MarkyB916 wrote:

So instead of the 10mm one which a lot of people have had issue with not gripping the stem enough to prevent rotation it would have a greater surface area making contact. Probably cost prohibitive but if someone had the skills or handy friend it might be worth a shot.

Stay tuned... I am a few weeks from releasing this 2 bolt concept / Knock Block Delete. Been working on it for a few months.
My design will have a lot more holding force the the cheap trek single bolt. I plan to also offer a single bolt improved design that will increase the stem holding force for those with shorter stems.
#MadeInUSA

Posted: Jan 4, 2023 at 17:46 Quote
cool.
if its not too thick of a spacer i'd love it. Slammed stems are where a solution is needed. Still, looking forward to seeing what you got.
:thumbs up:

FL
Posted: Jan 5, 2023 at 5:57 Quote
Look forward to seeing it. Sadly, I'm based in the UK so might not be practical getting one (cost of shipping etc.).

I did think of buying 2 of the Trek ones and joining them together somehow (drilling and pins perhaps). Expensive but not as expensive as a written off frame.

IP90 wrote:
MarkyB916 wrote:

Stay tuned... I am a few weeks from releasing this 2 bolt concept / Knock Block Delete. Been working on it for a few months.
My design will have a lot more holding force the the cheap trek single bolt. I plan to also offer a single bolt improved design that will increase the stem holding force for those with shorter stems.
#MadeInUSA

Posted: Jan 28, 2023 at 16:09 Quote
Very keen to see more on this .

IP90 wrote:
MarkyB916 wrote:

#MadeInUSA

Posted: Feb 9, 2023 at 6:36 Quote
CNC's are putting out my new design in the next week or two. Should have some pics soon.
Thanks for following!

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.020270
Mobile Version of Website