Powered by Outside

Hugene.......any good?

PB Forum :: Propain Bikes
Hugene.......any good?
Posted: May 4, 2022 at 10:16 Quote
Shakedown ride this weekend!

I've got a bit of a burlier spec, 36/Float X/Codes/Nobl TR37/inserts, so we'll see how that plays out. Might ditch the inserts as these tires are 1,250g... Used to think my 1,100g DHF was heavy.

Hoping the bearings in the float X address the small bump sensitivity to an extent.

The Tyee is amazing but that's a lot of bike! 160mm 29er is serious, and I just don't know if I have the terrain or skills to put that to use.

O+ FL
Posted: May 16, 2022 at 8:56 Quote
daxbox wrote:
PhoS wrote:
Good review, I agree with most of what you said. The Hugene definitely doesn't have a plush magic carpet feel but it does get out of the way when you hammer stuff, and it pedals so damn good.

What shock are you running? I really want to try the new FloatX on this if they're ever available again. I was surprised to have to put 260psi in my DPX2 to get good sag. I haven't had any rattle issues with a 34 oval, the bike is dead quiet.

I'd like to try out the Tyee now. We have demo day coming up so will definitely post up a comparison.

Climbs so well, I PR most of my climbs as compared to my previous rides! I'm running a Float X Factory, but yeah, I'm at 250psi to get proper sag. I'm curious about the Tyee, too; it'd be a lot of bike for what I usually ride, but if it climbs as good as they say... hmmm.... let me know how what you think of it.

So I got the Float X on. Was surprised that the shock came with a .6 volume spacer installed from the factory. You still rocking that one? I took it out to start off but I think I will end up re-adding something since it feels pretty linear. I have been running the Dpx2 with no volume spacer which felt perfect. Also I'm currently at 220psi with this shock to get my sag compared to the 260 with the DPX2.

Posted: May 18, 2022 at 5:56 Quote
Is it playful and poppy?

O+ FL
Posted: May 18, 2022 at 9:09 Quote
Andwewillrise wrote:
Is it playful and poppy?

Show me a sub 35lb trail bike that isn't? lol

Posted: May 18, 2022 at 10:23 Quote
So is it poppy and playful, easy to manual. i thought the long chainstays would make it not so

O+ FL
Posted: May 18, 2022 at 10:59 Quote
It doesn't pull up into a manual as easily as my last bike that had 434CS but I can still get it up. Yes the geo is playful, poppy is a matter of suspension settings on any bike.

Posted: May 26, 2022 at 23:22 Quote
PhoS wrote:
daxbox wrote:
PhoS wrote:
Good review, I agree with most of what you said. The Hugene definitely doesn't have a plush magic carpet feel but it does get out of the way when you hammer stuff, and it pedals so damn good.

What shock are you running? I really want to try the new FloatX on this if they're ever available again. I was surprised to have to put 260psi in my DPX2 to get good sag. I haven't had any rattle issues with a 34 oval, the bike is dead quiet.

I'd like to try out the Tyee now. We have demo day coming up so will definitely post up a comparison.

Climbs so well, I PR most of my climbs as compared to my previous rides! I'm running a Float X Factory, but yeah, I'm at 250psi to get proper sag. I'm curious about the Tyee, too; it'd be a lot of bike for what I usually ride, but if it climbs as good as they say... hmmm.... let me know how what you think of it.

So I got the Float X on. Was surprised that the shock came with a .6 volume spacer installed from the factory. You still rocking that one? I took it out to start off but I think I will end up re-adding something since it feels pretty linear. I have been running the Dpx2 with no volume spacer which felt perfect. Also I'm currently at 220psi with this shock to get my sag compared to the 260 with the DPX2.

I added a spacer and dropped a bit of psi, starting to get dialed in. I'm also learning that this bike does not like slow speeds. I went over twice a couple of weekends ago. I don't know, maybe I had the yips...

Posted: May 26, 2022 at 23:35 Quote
Andwewillrise wrote:
Is it playful and poppy?

PhoS wrote:
It doesn't pull up into a manual as easily as my last bike that had 434CS but I can still get it up. Yes the geo is playful, poppy is a matter of suspension settings on any bike.

Probably more from my (lack of) skills, but not as playful and poppy as compared to my other recent bikes (Tallboy, Bronson, Stumpy Evo, SB6). More of a serious ride, IMO, but someone with better skills will probably get more of the fun out of it. Finding more pop recently though, with the right suspension settings.

O+ FL
Posted: May 27, 2022 at 9:01 Quote
I've ridden the bike a few times on the floatx without any spacer and it feels a bit too planted. I've got the full spacer set now so I'm going to start adding some back. Otherwise I find this bike extremely easy to handle, and it carries a lot of speed and sticks where my Meta would have been breaking traction and getting loose. I didn't think I would get along with the steeper head angle and I was prepared to angleset it but actually it feels pretty balanced.

Posted: May 27, 2022 at 12:18 Quote
Also still playing with the Float X. I'm thinking the key is lower air pressures, a bit more sag and playing around with the spacers. Started at 250psi, now down to 220ish. Similar to my prior dpx2 I'm also running very little compression.

Everything else is dialed, geometry is perfect, and I'm pretty excited the way it turned out.

PS: MM/BB tire combo is unreal. Slush/mud river conditions, and they were on rails.

photo

O+ FL
Posted: Jun 1, 2022 at 10:48 Quote
PhoS wrote:
I've ridden the bike a few times on the floatx without any spacer and it feels a bit too planted. I've got the full spacer set now so I'm going to start adding some back. Otherwise I find this bike extremely easy to handle, and it carries a lot of speed and sticks where my Meta would have been breaking traction and getting loose. I didn't think I would get along with the steeper head angle and I was prepared to angleset it but actually it feels pretty balanced.

Got some more info on this. The FloatX needs a .4 spacer to be about the same compression ratio as the DPX2 I was running before with no spacer. ( 2.8cr ) The default .6 spacer that came in the FloatX is definitely too much ramp up on the Hugene for me at 180lbs/81kg and 30% sag. The .4 should be about perfect.

Posted: Jun 2, 2022 at 20:31 Quote
PhoS wrote:
PhoS wrote:

Got some more info on this. The FloatX needs a .4 spacer to be about the same compression ratio as the DPX2 I was running before with no spacer. ( 2.8cr ) The default .6 spacer that came in the FloatX is definitely too much ramp up on the Hugene for me at 180lbs/81kg and 30% sag. The .4 should be about perfect.

Nice. I'm about the same weight, I'm gonna give this a try. Thanks!

O+ FL
Posted: Jun 5, 2022 at 10:22 Quote
Definitely feeling dialed now with the .4 spacer, 15mm sag(30%). I took it to a shuttle day and hit some chunky trail and bigger jumps and it felt solid. Loving the longer rear end, no surprises if it lets go when you got it leaned over, super stable at high speed too.

chocolate rain

Posted: Jun 9, 2022 at 20:00 Quote
PhoS wrote:
Definitely feeling dialed now with the .4 spacer, 15mm sag(30%). I took it to a shuttle day and hit some chunky trail and bigger jumps and it felt solid. Loving the longer rear end, no surprises if it lets go when you got it leaned over, super stable at high speed too.

chocolate rain

OMG, you beautiful dirty __...

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.063369
Mobile Version of Website