Powered by Outside

Do you keep fingers on your brakes all the time ??

PB Forum :: Dirt Jumping & Street
Do you keep fingers on your brakes all the time ??
Posted: Apr 10, 2008 at 14:56 Quote
I keep a finger on the brakes on my BMX, so I don't always take it on and off, as I like brake style tricks, like spin taps, stalls, and the like.

Dh, obviously I keep my fingers on my brakes, though sometimes, I take them off for 5-10 seconds, and count it out as I ride. I find it helps if I'm having a problem with a rough section. Keeps my mind off my brakes, makes me faster, and makes me choose lines better.

Posted: Apr 11, 2008 at 9:43 Quote
it depends, if i do a jump i use all my fingers on the grips, but for normal riding i put one finger on each leaver

Posted: Apr 11, 2008 at 10:43 Quote
StevePrice wrote:
bikebreaker wrote:
silentrider wrote:
i only really ride street so there is no need for quick reactions on my brake.

Eek Cars? People? Kids?

dude theres more reason for quick reactions. cars, lamp posts and a punch in the face for accidenlty colliding with a pedestrain hurt more then crashing into a bush in a trail for example.

not where i ride though. empty industial estates so none of that to worry about apart from the lamp posts but i find they dont tend to hit me afterwards aswell.

Posted: Apr 11, 2008 at 10:57 Quote
When on my dj bike I dont use my brakes unless I need them, I prefer just holding the bars. I think it comes from the fact I rode BMX 1st and only ever used my brake for tyre taps and stuff like that + I cant bunny hop for shit covering the brakes, but I can do then super high just holding the bars. It translates onto my dh bike too as I only really cover the brakes if I'm on a sketchy bit or am going well fast.

There's no right or wrong way, just whatever feels best.

Posted: Apr 11, 2008 at 11:01 Quote
exetertim wrote:
bikebreaker wrote:
Always! Specially over DJ's. A quick dab of the rear can save you from crashing! The split second it takes you to move your finger from the bar to the lever can be too much and result in a crash!

exactly, at least were seeing some truth now. I think that anyone who rides with no fingers on brakes is stupid, you never know what can happen.
I'm not stupid because i choose to not have a finger on my lever. i think having all fingers and palm on the bar will givve you more strength, stablity and control. im not saying i dont use brakes, i do if i am doing a trick involiving them (except for bmx, it is brakeless)

Posted: Apr 11, 2008 at 11:02 Quote
I have 2 fingers out but I dont have them on the lever because found out that I was on the brake all the way doen a hill

Posted: Apr 11, 2008 at 16:14 Quote
When i'm jumping I ride full fist because when im going down the run in I get really panicy in my head and if i have a finger on my brake im going to pull it.

Posted: Apr 11, 2008 at 16:21 Quote
i use one brake for dh and when i have to stop fast (haye nine.... lol) i use 2 or three finger for what my brakes are

Posted: Apr 14, 2008 at 14:39 Quote
I usually use one finger on each lever, even if i am not pulling them. It makes me feel just a bit more confident

Posted: May 7, 2008 at 14:59 Quote
Hey i have a similar question: I always have one finger on brakes when doing just regular DH, but when hitting fairly large jumps or drops i take my fingers off the levers becuase i feel like a cant control the bike with just my four fingers. I feel like i should have a finger on the lever at all times, just because whenever i land i always have alot of speed, and if its not a super wide landing it can get a bit sketchy... does everyone else have their fingers on the levers at all times??

Posted: May 7, 2008 at 15:01 Quote
i have my fingers on the brakes when im downhillin of street riding but when i take of from a jump i have them of but right when i land i put them back on

Posted: May 7, 2008 at 15:07 Quote
I only have my finger on the brake when I'm using it....and no need for a front brake either.

Posted: May 7, 2008 at 15:16 Quote
95% of the time i run with one finger on each brake. i will take my finger off Only if i am just catching my breath and cruising but then i usually put all my fingers over the bars and it really helps relax your arms. i found that if you have to take your fingers on and off you are always changing grip which is probably more risky. once you can grip solid with 3 fingers and a thumb i think you are better off cause then you keep a tight grip all the time and also can run the brakes all the time.

O+
Posted: May 7, 2008 at 23:54 Quote
i dont think i have any fingers on my brakes unless im trying to slow down and any other time i have no fingers on my brakes. have a look at this pic, no fingers on brakes Big Grin

photo

Posted: May 7, 2008 at 23:59 Quote
i always do some time wen i have no brakes my frends noticed that i still keep one finger off the bars were the brakes would be lol

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.014235
Mobile Version of Website