school drop out anybody?

PB Forum :: Off-Topic
school drop out anybody?
Posted: Jun 3, 2008 at 13:18 Quote
Funny how I am a dropout (from College) and I am about to start a job where I will be making more money than my few friends who graduated college. Yeah it might be shittier work but it ain't really that hard and you get a ton of time off. Once I find a true passion for a career, I will go to school once again and earn a degree. Until then, I'm just livin'. Dropping out from highschool? That's just f*cking retarded. At LEAST get a diploma. Then consider college.

Posted: Jun 4, 2008 at 6:06 Quote
chads wrote:
I can sse some people finding a reason to drop out. But every reason they give is a sorry assed excused. Every reason I've heard from buddies dropping out has the content of "Oh...I'm not smart enough" or "I cant afford college/university anyways" or "I can get a job here/there that pays 20$ and hour"... Those who also put out the excuse of "Not liking to be pushed around by teachers for useless grades"--Straight up BS. If you as to so much think that you'll be able to make a living off 20$ an hour, 40 000$ a year, forget about it. You must'nt forget that 20$ an hour is pretty much as high as you'll see in you're life if you done have some sort of college diploma...unless you're insanely lucky. If you can build me a sensible gathering of what the cost of life is per month and show me that you can live the life you have now, show me and I'll drop out of school myself.

Here it is just for fun.I'm studying in Toronto right now to get me a job that might start me at 40G a year...but I'm not planning on staying in Toronto simply because I wouldnt be able to afford anything to live comfortably. Just my rent right now is 12 000$ a year, Food is 8 000$+. A car would be 16 000$+ a year including gas and inssurance...I still have yet to consider taxes and things suchs as medical needs.

Doesnt exactly leave much room for error in life. Beeing withdrawn from work for what ever reason leads to instant failure pretty much. Also, to have a life with out the ambition of advancing in life blows me away. Going from meat flipper to night manager is not considered an advancement neither is part time to full time. I see it as a total waste of life and opportunety and its not the fault of those who chose to drop out. Kids just arent informed enough about the bag of potatoes that falls on your shoulders once you're out there. Dont just think you're the only on getting that weight on your shoulders either...Life is just that way.

Just shake off all the nasty bits and get your head out of those disneyland daydreams...wake up for god sake. You're only doing yourself a favor by getting an education.

P.S. I'm also going to be 45 000$ in debt the day I graduate. I'm getting as big of a bag of potatoes as anyone here could be.

Oh really?

i think you need to check your statistics University boy. Not only do more people coming out of college get jobs in their chosen fields, but many will make more then $20/hr.

I'm studying a trade right now, with potential to pull 6 figures a year(and yes, I know that for sure) without being 45000 in debt. Have fun!.

Posted: Jun 4, 2008 at 6:40 Quote
Aaron-J wrote:
chads wrote:
I can sse some people finding a reason to drop out. But every reason they give is a sorry assed excused. Every reason I've heard from buddies dropping out has the content of "Oh...I'm not smart enough" or "I cant afford college/university anyways" or "I can get a job here/there that pays 20$ and hour"... Those who also put out the excuse of "Not liking to be pushed around by teachers for useless grades"--Straight up BS. If you as to so much think that you'll be able to make a living off 20$ an hour, 40 000$ a year, forget about it. You must'nt forget that 20$ an hour is pretty much as high as you'll see in you're life if you done have some sort of college diploma...unless you're insanely lucky. If you can build me a sensible gathering of what the cost of life is per month and show me that you can live the life you have now, show me and I'll drop out of school myself.

Here it is just for fun.I'm studying in Toronto right now to get me a job that might start me at 40G a year...but I'm not planning on staying in Toronto simply because I wouldnt be able to afford anything to live comfortably. Just my rent right now is 12 000$ a year, Food is 8 000$+. A car would be 16 000$+ a year including gas and inssurance...I still have yet to consider taxes and things suchs as medical needs.

Doesnt exactly leave much room for error in life. Beeing withdrawn from work for what ever reason leads to instant failure pretty much. Also, to have a life with out the ambition of advancing in life blows me away. Going from meat flipper to night manager is not considered an advancement neither is part time to full time. I see it as a total waste of life and opportunety and its not the fault of those who chose to drop out. Kids just arent informed enough about the bag of potatoes that falls on your shoulders once you're out there. Dont just think you're the only on getting that weight on your shoulders either...Life is just that way.

Just shake off all the nasty bits and get your head out of those disneyland daydreams...wake up for god sake. You're only doing yourself a favor by getting an education.

P.S. I'm also going to be 45 000$ in debt the day I graduate. I'm getting as big of a bag of potatoes as anyone here could be.

Oh really?

i think you need to check your statistics University boy. Not only do more people coming out of college get jobs in their chosen fields, but many will make more then $20/hr.

I'm studying a trade right now, with potential to pull 6 figures a year(and yes, I know that for sure) without being 45000 in debt. Have fun!.

yaa.... the course im in you only get a diploma or advanced diploma and most of my freinds who finished the first year with me are making 20-24 an hour first year no experience.
I would like to see were your getting your info from.

p.s. you can make around 6 figures with experience in my field also so I think your data is a little bit flawed.

Posted: Jun 4, 2008 at 7:26 Quote
I think a lot of it depends on where you studied at university. If you study at a mediocre/badly ranked university then people won't be too interested in you but graduate from Harvard, Oxford, Cambridge, etc and I'm sure things change a great deal.

Posted: Jun 4, 2008 at 7:27 Quote
gabor wrote:
I think a lot of it depends on where you studied at university. If you study at a mediocre/badly ranked university then people won't be too interested in you but graduate from Harvard, Oxford, Cambridge, etc and I'm sure things change a great deal.

Were talking about diplomas here not degrees though.
most diplomas are usually received at provincialy funded schools so not alot of them have a "reputation"
Well mine does because of the specific study and theres only a handful of schools in the country that specialize in it but thats an exception.

Posted: Jun 4, 2008 at 7:28 Quote
brad-maxwell wrote:
gabor wrote:

Were talking about diplomas here not degrees though
Crap, I should have read things more carefully, in that case disregard my post.

Posted: Jun 4, 2008 at 7:29 Quote
gabor wrote:
brad-maxwell wrote:
gabor wrote:

Were talking about diplomas here not degrees though
Crap, I should have read things more carefully, in that case disregard my post.

understandable no worries

Mod
Posted: Jun 4, 2008 at 7:36 Quote
or you could just go get a job in the oilfields/diamond fields and pull in like 20 grand a month with little education.Even a job in the welding sector with no education and no training around here starts at around $20 cleaning shop. Wendy's and tims starts at $15. It's pretty easy to find a job that pulls in more than that. And the price of living is pretty cheep. I could rent, buy food, run my car, have some fun on making $15 an hour working less than 40 hours a week.

Not that education isn't good - but you can definately get by without it. Do your highschool - not if it's for the money but for the life skills that you learn doing it.

Posted: Jun 4, 2008 at 10:09 Quote
well in my town the high schools and college offer a great option!

insted of sitting at school 5 days a week learning important subjects like maths,english,science and IT (face it everything is IT now a days) and learning the less important ones like double PE and music and French or something i get to do the importants ones 3 days a week and then for 2 day i go to college to earn a mechanic's Diploma

so when i finish school i will have my GCSE's in English, Science , maths and IT and will have the starting foundations for a Real job!

I hate school the little sh**s who dont want to be there get all the attention and people who want to get on and learn get left to stugle!!

Posted: Jun 4, 2008 at 10:14 Quote
alex-dh wrote:

insted of sitting at school 5 days a week learning important subjects like maths,english,science and IT (face it everything is IT now a days) and learning the less important ones like double PE and music and French or something i get to do the importants ones 3 days a week and then for 2 day i go to college to earn a mechanic's Diploma

so when i finish school i will have my GCSE's in English, Science , maths and IT and will have the starting foundations for a Real job!

I hate school the little sh**s who dont want to be there get all the attention and people who want to get on and learn get left to stugle!!
That sounds like a good idea, though 4 GCSEs seem awfully little (unless you're referring to chemistry, physics and biology separately). Either way, cool program.

Posted: Jun 4, 2008 at 12:52 Quote
gabor wrote:
alex-dh wrote:

That sounds like a good idea, though 4 GCSEs seem awfully little (unless you're referring to chemistry, physics and biology separately). Either way, cool program.

yea there is others too but they main ones

Posted: Jun 4, 2008 at 12:57 Quote
alex-dh wrote:
gabor wrote:
alex-dh wrote:

Cool, what sort of stuff are you doing in the mechanic's course?

Posted: Jun 4, 2008 at 14:15 Quote
gabor wrote:
alex-dh wrote:
gabor wrote:

first year we are doing basic car matainence like

changing tyres, oil filters, brakes disk and drum, hand brake adjustments, engine timing, cambelts, engine rebuilding, valating, exhausts fitting, clutch adjustments, Ignition, and changing and heath and safty in garage and other stuff

all great fun Big Grin

Posted: Jun 4, 2008 at 16:29 Quote
alex-dh wrote:
gabor wrote:
alex-dh wrote:

first year we are doing basic car matainence like

changing tyres, oil filters, brakes disk and drum, hand brake adjustments, engine timing, cambelts, engine rebuilding, valating, exhausts fitting, clutch adjustments, Ignition, and changing and heath and safty in garage and other stuff

all great fun Big Grin

Ya we have the same thing as that for schools in nova Scotia we call it opp.

Posted: Jun 4, 2008 at 17:44 Quote
I'm not going back to college and I'm making $25/hr, sometimes a lot more depending, and I'm loving what I'm doing and I'll be able to do it for the rest of my life. If all goes well, I'll be working full time in less than a year. No school debt to worry about.

But not everyone can get lucky with getting a good job without going to college, so unless you are very good at doing something that can get you a job without a degree, school is the best option.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.021504
Mobile Version of Website