Powered by Outside

Pinkbike's Official *!Street Tuner!* Thread

PB Forum :: Off-Topic
Pinkbike's Official *!Street Tuner!* Thread
Posted: Jun 27, 2008 at 17:19 Quote
swiftpain wrote:
laurie1 wrote:
You have a lot to learn then. The G35 is built on the same platform as a Nissan 350z. Therefore, almost every performance part that fits on a 350z also fits on a G35. The G35 is also the same as the newer Nissan Skyline cars that are produced overseas. I think I might start a project car out of a coupe.
clearly you have alot to learn. the G35 uses the same motor as the 350z yes, and both motors as far as tuning goes are hard to make horsepower from simple bolt ons as they are tuned and topped from the factory. an exhaust and intake on these cars will gain you barely any HP, mabey even lose you some. One thing you can do is ecu flashing, but any real power addition will come from forced induction, or nitrous. aka not the greatest tuner car for making huge hp.

owww oww, stop, it hurts, the ignorance, damn, stop it!

Dude. Here we go. Exhaust and an intake will NOT cause it to lose power at all. ALL factory exhaust systems on factory vehicles are required to meet very stringent noise and emissions levels, that do not apply much for the aftermarket crowd. So step one, you lose a restrictive exhaust on a G35 or 350z, and you immediately gain oh problably, 5-15hp, depending on the system. NO problem at all to do. Intake just opens up the front breathing of the car- pretty pointless to do one without the other, if you're a power geek. Again, favtory systems have to meet durability standards, and noise standards, and form factor. So, you rip out that donkey plastic box with the pan filter, and replace it with a higher-flowing cone filter, with no size restrictions or shape changes along the way. The air now flows smoother, faster, and cooler, into the plenum. That's allowing throttle response, which, is effectively the result of more available power on tap.

CHipping a NA car is not as effective as a turbo setup, but they can do a little.

The last setup I did opened over 20hp from exhaust alone, dyno proven.

and no laurie, I got nothing on a slammed G35 like that. BUt a woman did rear end me while I was pumping gas into my car two days ago... she hit the gas instead of the brake, pushed my car well over 30ft, between concrete pylons, parked cars, and a dumpster, before she managed to get her car wedged on a pole. pics in a minute.

Posted: Jun 27, 2008 at 17:35 Quote
ive read that the tip shouldnt be able to fit your fist in it, then your just loosing power. my budyys is huge and screams city blocks away. another thing draco, what do you prefer cld air intake or a short ram?

Posted: Jun 27, 2008 at 17:43 Quote
flowride312341231 wrote:
ive read that the tip shouldnt be able to fit your fist in it, then your just loosing power. my budyys is huge and screams city blocks away. another thing draco, what do you prefer cld air intake or a short ram?

Tip size has nothing to do with it. See my first post about 'can't lose power'. The *real* rule of thumb, is that what ever size the tubing is as it exits the exhaust manifold, thats the biggest size you run. Never run a tube larger than your smallest diameter. It wont make it lose power, there is just no gain, and it typically drones.

dont get me started on riced out muffler add-ons and why they sound stupid.

as for intakes, it depends, im in a pickle myself about it. Right now, I did a ridiculous 5" diameter cone filter with a nice lil taper back down to my stock MAF box.. which is like 2.75" i think. Its really damn short. It sounds awesome, to be honest, very quiet and reserved, until you hit 3krpm, then you hear it... then at 4krpm, it sounds liek a tuned VR6 ripping off. Hell I even get a turbo-esque woosh out of it.

But I'm not noticing any performance improvement over the slightly smaller shortie I did.. So now I am thinking about going true cold air and seeing what the deal is.

The... other R32 slammed-
photo

my car is the bumper on the far left. I was at the pump where the silver olds is. I was actually only at about her tires.. she pushed me the whole way! I was standing next to it (better than the second before, when I was standing behind it :-/ )
photo

Posted: Jun 28, 2008 at 15:33 Quote
But nothings wrong with your bumper?

Posted: Jul 1, 2008 at 2:45 Quote
draco wrote:
swiftpain wrote:
laurie1 wrote:
You have a lot to learn then. The G35 is built on the same platform as a Nissan 350z. Therefore, almost every performance part that fits on a 350z also fits on a G35. The G35 is also the same as the newer Nissan Skyline cars that are produced overseas. I think I might start a project car out of a coupe.
clearly you have alot to learn. the G35 uses the same motor as the 350z yes, and both motors as far as tuning goes are hard to make horsepower from simple bolt ons as they are tuned and topped from the factory. an exhaust and intake on these cars will gain you barely any HP, mabey even lose you some. One thing you can do is ecu flashing, but any real power addition will come from forced induction, or nitrous. aka not the greatest tuner car for making huge hp.

owww oww, stop, it hurts, the ignorance, damn, stop it!

Dude. Here we go. Exhaust and an intake will NOT cause it to lose power at all. ALL factory exhaust systems on factory vehicles are required to meet very stringent noise and emissions levels, that do not apply much for the aftermarket crowd. So step one, you lose a restrictive exhaust on a G35 or 350z, and you immediately gain oh problably, 5-15hp, depending on the system. NO problem at all to do. Intake just opens up the front breathing of the car- pretty pointless to do one without the other, if you're a power geek. Again, favtory systems have to meet durability standards, and noise standards, and form factor. So, you rip out that donkey plastic box with the pan filter, and replace it with a higher-flowing cone filter, with no size restrictions or shape changes along the way. The air now flows smoother, faster, and cooler, into the plenum. That's allowing throttle response, which, is effectively the result of more available power on tap.

CHipping a NA car is not as effective as a turbo setup, but they can do a little.

The last setup I did opened over 20hp from exhaust alone, dyno proven.

and no laurie, I got nothing on a slammed G35 like that. BUt a woman did rear end me while I was pumping gas into my car two days ago... she hit the gas instead of the brake, pushed my car well over 30ft, between concrete pylons, parked cars, and a dumpster, before she managed to get her car wedged on a pole. pics in a minute.
sorry your wrong. do some research on the VQ engines, not only i read an article in an important mag confirming exactly what i said just the other day. if you want i can photo copy it. you will not make barely any power from bolt ons to the g35 350z motors sorry.

Posted: Jul 1, 2008 at 2:56 Quote
Draco works on cars for a job, in England. All high performance stuff, I would never second guess him when it comes to this stuff. He KNOWS what he is talking about, it'd not random facts coming out of his ass. Just cause it's in a magazine does not mean it is true you know. I can write a article for a magazine that is all lies and get it printed.

Posted: Jul 1, 2008 at 8:12 Quote
Are you talking about that engine specifically? or in general bolt ons. I remember reading an article on importtuner.com where they compared low end spark plugs and high end ones. They tested it on a dyno and this 1 high end set produced a 1-2 hp gain everytime. Random but thought id share that!

Posted: Jul 1, 2008 at 10:13 Quote
swiftpain wrote:
sorry your wrong. do some research on the VQ engines, not only i read an article in an important mag confirming exactly what i said just the other day. if you want i can photo copy it. you will not make barely any power from bolt ons to the g35 350z motors sorry.

I would like to see it. I have never seen a reputable magazine try and claim that what you get from the factory is essentially the pinnacle of performance.

I'm sure even with subtle modifications, Ferraris can go faster.

Posted: Jul 1, 2008 at 12:06 Quote
I can see where swift pain is coming from. These G35's are luxury cars, therefore they are topped out at the factory and made to go really fast stock. A civic for example is not made to go fast its made as an economy car (for girls in my opinion) with good gas mileage. Think about a BMW M5, crazy fast stock that you wouldnt even want to put anything on it.

Posted: Jul 1, 2008 at 13:09 Quote
Pyro011 wrote:
I can see where swift pain is coming from. These G35's are luxury cars, therefore they are topped out at the factory and made to go really fast stock. A civic for example is not made to go fast its made as an economy car (for girls in my opinion) with good gas mileage. Think about a BMW M5, crazy fast stock that you wouldnt even want to put anything on it.

M5 is a tuner. BMW does not make the M series in a factory they send it to a fellow(his name slips my mind) who then TUNES them to be a M series car.

Posted: Jul 1, 2008 at 13:11 Quote
hrdbiker wrote:
Pyro011 wrote:

M5 is a tuner. BMW does not make the M series in a factory they send it to a fellow(his name slips my mind) who then TUNES them to be a M series car.

Proof? I watched a segment on daily planet of BMW manufacturing an M5 in their factory so please back up your statement.

Posted: Jul 1, 2008 at 14:27 Quote
Pyro011 wrote:
hrdbiker wrote:
Pyro011 wrote:

Proof? I watched a segment on daily planet of BMW manufacturing an M5 in their factory so please back up your statement.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BMW_M_GmbH

M doesnt stand for a guys name i messed up but they still arent production cars their classified as a tuner.

Posted: Jul 1, 2008 at 16:13 Quote
Yes, the G35 is somewhat of a luxury car. Yes, it has a VQ engine from a 350Z. No, those engines don't like bolt ons. Yes, it's stupid to assume it's "topped out" (what the hell is that supposed to mean?) from the factory, you can find more power in it fairly easily. Plus, it's a really nice car. Extra power and better suspension really brings it out.

And on another topic, neon underglow is stupid. So are big steel wings. And if I have one more dumbass in a Cavalier with those plastic spinner hubcabs tell me he can smoke my Honda, I'll ask him to race for ownership.

Posted: Jul 1, 2008 at 16:27 Quote
CrankShaftYQX wrote:

And on another topic, neon underglow is stupid. So are big steel wings. And if I have one more dumbass in a Cavalier with those plastic spinner hubcabs tell me he can smoke my Honda, I'll ask him to race for ownership.

Do it then burn the Sunfire. Well have one less crappy american car on the road.

Posted: Jul 1, 2008 at 16:33 Quote
ezekiel82 wrote:
I would like to see it. I have never seen a reputable magazine try and claim that what you get from the factory is essentially the pinnacle of performance.

I'm sure even with subtle modifications, Ferraris can go faster.
The new Nissan Skyline GTR, very hard to tune. Nissan has put so many things into it that the most tuners have been able to do is change the rims.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.066668
Mobile Version of Website