Powered by Outside

need help to manual

PB Forum :: Freeride & Slopestyle
need help to manual
Posted: Jan 10, 2008 at 17:22 Quote
then he's not lifting and shifting his weight back properly.

i'm a skinny chinese dude, i'm 5'9" and weigh 125, i can pull up almost any bike into a manual on flat. p2s? check. cross-country hardtails with long chainstays? check. that was my last bike. friends' downhill bikes? check. even my friend's (skinna) little brother's norco six with 24 inch double tracks and shocks set up for a little 80 pound kid... check.

incidentally, the hardest bike i've ever attempted to manual is my friend's medium hardrock with a 120mm stem, the long stem really screws you up. so if you have a long stem, get a short stubby one and it'll help.

Mod
Posted: Jan 10, 2008 at 21:24 Quote
Strength is not an issue, its all in how you do it. Sounds like you know how to manual in the 1st place ie. pulling back, not up and using your knees and hips to control your balance point.
I can manual my super long Orange 224 DH race bike better actually then my little hardtail....Mostly because I spend more time on it! I've found that it is a bit harder to get to the right spot obviously, but once it is there its more stable. On my little bike it takes one yank to get to that point but on my big bike its almost like I pull back once to get it there and then there is an extra push my hips and knees....maybe just to stabilize it I guess and sag into the travel.

Posted: Jan 10, 2008 at 23:51 Quote
on a full sus, to manual would it be better to have the front suspension set up for really quick rebound, allowing to get the front wheel up easier?

i've heard that on 40's with quick rebound you can push down on the forks, and it will pop you up into a manual.

Posted: Jan 11, 2008 at 7:35 Quote
exetertim wrote:
on a full sus, to manual would it be better to have the front suspension set up for really quick rebound, allowing to get the front wheel up easier?

i've heard that on 40's with quick rebound you can push down on the forks, and it will pop you up into a manual.

im calling shenanigans on that.
id think it would have to top out to actually raise off the ground.

Posted: Jan 12, 2008 at 12:07 Quote
it's easier going down a little hills,you need somes good speed.keep doing wheelies ,when you feel stables an comfortables ,stop pedaling ,balance your bike whit your butt n your back brake.you can also lock your front wheel when she's up.an my best advice is time,patience an when you try too much, you make it worst. good luck

Posted: Jan 12, 2008 at 12:49 Quote
I've always found it makes it alot easier for beginners to visualize 'sitting' on your rear wheel.

This them to understand just how much you need to lean back to actually pull of a succesful manual; as most of the time people just dont want to lean back far enough, or if they do they just pull back stupidly and flip out.

Other basic tips for when you get going!

1. If your fronts dropping, straighten your legs, it'll pop right back up!

2. If your front is to high up and your going to flip soon bend your legs it will drop back down

3. Learn to feather your brake to stop you from flipping out when you lean back to far! This can be pretty grizly if you fall of at speed!

4. Dont be trigger ( or lever ) happy so to speak. Sometimes i notice alot of riders ( including myself ) end up by pulling the lever ever so slightly without needing to, resulting in much more effort needed to keep the manual going and generally making the task alot harder, keep this in mind so your not constantly dragging your rear brake ever so slightlty but enough to make a difference when you dont need to be pulling it!

Practice practice pratice! Thats what it takes, as with alot of things, but once you have it, it's a great skill to have, its appliable to many aspects of riding and you'll find that you will be a much better all round rider!

Sepi

Posted: Jan 12, 2008 at 12:58 Quote
i am just learning to manual and i think to myself to try and sit on the rear wheel with straight legs and pop the front up.its working but i can't do it very far though,only been learning for about 3 weeks now but i do it everyday on my paper round along with bunny hopping stuff and i am getting better but it does take alot of practice

Posted: Jan 12, 2008 at 13:16 Quote
when trying it make sure you put your heels down dont point you toes it wil push you front down. hope this helps

Posted: Jan 12, 2008 at 13:41 Quote
creamsoda89 wrote:
then he's not lifting and shifting his weight back properly.

i'm a skinny chinese dude, i'm 5'9" and weigh 125, i can pull up almost any bike into a manual on flat. p2s? check. cross-country hardtails with long chainstays? check. that was my last bike. friends' downhill bikes? check. even my friend's (skinna) little brother's norco six with 24 inch double tracks and shocks set up for a little 80 pound kid... check.

incidentally, the hardest bike i've ever attempted to manual is my friend's medium hardrock with a 120mm stem, the long stem really screws you up. so if you have a long stem, get a short stubby one and it'll help.

lol, dude, we look alike..

a long stem can only make it easier to pop a manual, you are just not used to it because it may appear to be too easy to flip over..

manual is easier with high speed, it keeps you from falling to your sides, so all you have to worry about is up and down and how not to die when you mess up at high velocity.

Posted: Jan 12, 2008 at 20:17 Quote
the long stem actually stretched me out too much, so i wasn't able to control the bike as well as a smaller or shorter one... less room for body english.

Posted: Mar 16, 2008 at 15:11 Quote
same problem, i have a medium sized 41 pound coiler, and i am 5,8, but i can not manual, my friend can manual my bike for miles, i can wheely for ever but not manual, i can only get it for 6 feet, and i practise alot.

O+
Posted: Mar 16, 2008 at 15:13 Quote
codyloveskona wrote:
same problem, i have a medium sized 41 pound coiler, and i am 5,8, but i can not manual, my friend can manual my bike for miles, i can wheely for ever but not manual, i can only get it for 6 feet, and i practise alot.

Lean back to the point where you're uncomfortable, and then feather the brake to keep you from falling backwards. It's scary to do at first, but it helps you stay up.

Posted: Mar 16, 2008 at 15:15 Quote
Hombre3000 wrote:
codyloveskona wrote:

Lean back to the point where you're uncomfortable, and then feather the brake to keep you from falling backwards. It's scary to do at first, but it helps you stay up.
ya, i have a fear of dropping my bike.

O+
Posted: Mar 16, 2008 at 15:19 Quote
codyloveskona wrote:
Hombre3000 wrote:
codyloveskona wrote:

ya, i have a fear of dropping my bike.

You have to get over that if you're trying to manual, or else it'll never happen. Practice on dirt or grass.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.014137
Mobile Version of Website