Powered by Outside

Air .vs. Coil

PB Forum :: Downhill
Air .vs. Coil
Posted: Apr 21, 2008 at 23:06 Quote
for DH i prefer the coil just because i have riddin it alot longer, but the air is nice and has some advantages

Posted: Apr 21, 2008 at 23:13 Quote
lelandjt wrote:
I think these air vs. coil threads can end cuz we've come to the same conclusions every time. We're generally talking DHX Air vs DHX Coil but the same goes for ROCOs.
-Everything related to the damper including durability is the same because they are the same damper.
-Air has more friction (generated by the seals between the air canister and the damper body) and that means slightly less sensitivity.
-Air has slightly more maintenence but this is only having to regrease the air seals, once or twice a year, very quick and easy.
-If you're really big you need coil cuz the Air only goes to 300psi, I'm 170 and have to run 220 psi.
-For full-on DH coil is better cuz the spring rate won't change as the shock heats up during a run (air will get firmer).
-Weight difference is between .5 and 1.5 pounds depending on shock legnth and spring
Should this be stickied?

this post would make a good stickie. However, it won't stop anybody from starting useless threads.

Posted: Jul 26, 2008 at 22:35 Quote
Coil is the best way to go hav a dhx 5 coil and it is sweet

Posted: Jul 27, 2008 at 9:59 Quote
Check out the 2009 Norco Team DH
it runs roco air

Posted: Jul 27, 2008 at 10:54 Quote
air, no messing around with springs

Posted: Aug 18, 2008 at 11:23 Quote
I think it depends on the application. I've ridden with a few air and coil shocks and they all have their good and bad points.

For XC / AM / Enduro air shocks are the way to go IMO. They're lighter, have an almost infinite tuning range (good for me cuz I'm still growing), and have a nice plush feel to them.

For FR / DH I think coil shocks still have the edge. Yes, you may have to change springs for your weight, but the shock is much more responsive and eats up the bumps much better. Plus it's a proven design and is a little more reliable than the air shocks.

However as far as forks go, I think air all the way. Apart from the reasons I mentioned earier (less weight, infinite tuning range), the feel to them is amazing (much better than any coil fork). They're just so much nicer overall IMO.

Posted: Dec 11, 2008 at 21:05 Quote
i have a 07 gemini i lowered it to about 35 but i want a air but idk

Posted: Dec 11, 2008 at 21:17 Quote
SpikeX wrote:
I think it depends on the application. I've ridden with a few air and coil shocks and they all have their good and bad points.

For XC / AM / Enduro air shocks are the way to go IMO. They're lighter, have an almost infinite tuning range (good for me cuz I'm still growing), and have a nice plush feel to them.

For FR / DH I think coil shocks still have the edge. Yes, you may have to change springs for your weight, but the shock is much more responsive and eats up the bumps much better. Plus it's a proven design and is a little more reliable than the air shocks.

However as far as forks go, I think air all the way. Apart from the reasons I mentioned earier (less weight, infinite tuning range), the feel to them is amazing (much better than any coil fork). They're just so much nicer overall IMO.

not to shoot you down. although air definitely has its advantages (i run a talas and a DHX air on my NOMAD and prefer it that way over coil) and would always (except racing DH where i'd run 40's) run an air fork for weight reasons and tunability reasons.

however take ANY air fork. not installed on any bike. turn it upside down and cycle it. you will feel a slight bit of stiction no matter if its new, old, or broken in. do it with say a Fox Vanilla (36 OR 32) and there will be far less stiction.

Posted: Jun 23, 2009 at 19:55 Quote
if you want lo loose weight in a dhx 5 just put helium in the resistor instead of air. it makes it super light but for some reason my shock has started to leak a lot of oil

Posted: Jun 23, 2009 at 22:56 Quote
dhdemo840 wrote:
if you want lo loose weight in a dhx 5 just put helium in the resistor instead of air. it makes it super light but for some reason my shock has started to leak a lot of oil

LOL

Posted: Jun 23, 2009 at 23:02 Quote
Helium is lighter, and a smaller molecule than oxygen. That's why it leaks.

Posted: Feb 14, 2010 at 13:25 Quote
i know this is pretty late... but I just swapped my coil TST for a air TST and its amazing... the air is smoother then the coil. it also weighted down the bike alot, and it feels like i loss 3 or 4 pounds...

Rocco air TST or WC is a great investment. super simple to service even a idiot with 3 tools can do it. They dont really have compression damping either (except for WC) so the travel is really smooth.

Posted: Feb 14, 2010 at 16:44 Quote
Been racing, hucking and freeriding a Roco WC air for 2 years now, its at its annual rebuild with Ronnie and will be back on the ride hopefully by the end of this week.

Love air, it tracks beatifully in the mid strok staying glued to the ground, doesnt have as much pop off the lips and jumps but can be adjusted.
235lbs and yet to blow one up, great for racing and overall had good luck with it!

Not a coil hater I have a vivid 5.1 sold my elka stage 5 and ran avys I like coil I just dont mind riding air. It works and its been great!

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.015233
Mobile Version of Website