Powered by Outside

Info on living in Whistler

PB Forum :: Canada - West
Info on living in Whistler
Posted: Jan 24, 2009 at 20:56 Quote
laurie1 wrote:
Well, look at the current economic situation and ask yourself this: How many people are taking lavish vacations to a resort when they are getting laid off and money is getting tight?

Just think, I could ask my boss about a voluntary layoff and start collecting EI. Bam, I'm on my way to Whistler, free money and I won't need to work! tup

O+
Posted: Jan 24, 2009 at 20:59 Quote
Dude you have to consider the fact that you are not the only one that wants to move to Whistler and 'live the dream'...just imagine all the people from all over the world that want to move to Whistler. With all those people, there must be great competition for jobs, and a place to live. Also the fact you are american puts you lower on the list. I'm sure they would rather hire Canadians before foreigners. Also, the current economic situation in North America isn't helping your chances.

Mod
Posted: Jan 24, 2009 at 21:01 Quote
Cactus262 wrote:
Just think, I could ask my boss about a voluntary layoff and start collecting EI. Bam, I'm on my way to Whistler, free money and I won't need to work! tup

Yes, because we all know that is how EI works and that you receive 100% of your wage while on it... Rolleyes

Posted: Jan 24, 2009 at 21:05 Quote
From what I heard, the Staff acomadations were pretty shitty. Is that true? I know they cost waaay less then hotel room or something like that.

Posted: Jan 24, 2009 at 21:06 Quote
gdawg wrote:
Dude you have to consider the fact that you are not the only one that wants to move to Whistler and 'live the dream'...just imagine all the people from all over the world that want to move to Whistler. With all those people, there must be great competition for jobs, and a place to live. Also the fact you are american puts you lower on the list. I'm sure they would rather hire Canadians before foreigners. Also, the current economic situation in North America isn't helping your chances.
True, true. Well I have a good job now and will be able to save up enough money to get through the summer if I dont get a job. I guess I could look at the positive side of no job, more ride time and less people on the mountain.

Posted: Jan 24, 2009 at 21:06 Quote
laurie1 wrote:
Cactus262 wrote:

Yes, because we all know that is how EI works and that you receive 100% of your wage while on it... Rolleyes

Don't worry, a sense of humour is optional.

O+
Posted: Jan 24, 2009 at 21:11 Quote
huckingaDemo7 wrote:
gdawg wrote:
True, true. Well I have a good job now and will be able to save up enough money to get through the summer if I dont get a job. I guess I could look at the positive side of no job, more ride time and less people on the mountain.

I'm not saying it's impossible to find work in Whistler. I would just advise against moving there assuming you will find work to find out its not going to happen. If you can save up enough cash to live there for 2-3 months that would be awesome. And as you said...more ride time! Remember though, Whistler is bloody expensive.

Posted: Jan 24, 2009 at 21:20 Quote
gdawg wrote:
huckingaDemo7 wrote:
gdawg wrote:

I'm not saying it's impossible to find work in Whistler. I would just advise against moving there assuming you will find work to find out its not going to happen. If you can save up enough cash to live there for 2-3 months that would be awesome. And as you said...more ride time! Remember though, Whistler is bloody expensive.

Thanks for the heads up. Im sure there is always some dirty jobs that no one wants. I have heard it is expensive, whats is so expensive? Cost of rent, food? I live in the Bay area if you know where that is and rent is atleast $1000 for a room around here and that seems like the going price for a room in a shared house during summer, or is it more?

I hope the exchange ratio stays the same so my $1 is worth 1.25 in canada which should help out with my saved money.

Mod
Posted: Jan 24, 2009 at 21:24 Quote
It's like every resort. Everything is inflated as they know you will pay for it and if you are a first timer, you get raped up there as all you do is eat within the immediate vicinity of Whistler and don't venture out far enough for the "deals." Food, alcohol, entertainment (bars/clubs), shopping, and accommodation all adds up rather quickly. I am sure you have been to Mammoth before. It is the same deal…

Posted: Jan 24, 2009 at 21:28 Quote
laurie1 wrote:
It's like every resort. Everything is inflated as they know you will pay for it and if you are a first timer, you get raped up there as all you do is eat within the immediate vicinity of Whistler and don't venture out far enough for the "deals." Food, alcohol, entertainment (bars/clubs), shopping, and accommodation all adds up rather quickly. I am sure you have been to Mammoth before. It is the same deal…

Yeah at Fernie the BP Change's to a winter Menu ... Like an extra $5 a pizza.

Also the Rent In Fernie is well above the Average for the region.

Posted: Jan 24, 2009 at 21:31 Quote
laurie1 wrote:
Ya I hear you. I will be driving up there so I will have my truck to get out of the tourist traps and be able to buy affordable food.

So sometime in the 3-4 months im up there could you guys show me around northshore, woodlot, ex... those cool places, I will drive usWink

O+
Posted: Jan 24, 2009 at 21:34 Quote
huckingaDemo7 wrote:
laurie1 wrote:
Ya I hear you. I will be driving up there so I will have my truck to get out of the tourist traps and be able to buy affordable food.

So sometime in the 3-4 months im up there could you guys show me around northshore, woodlot, ex... those cool places, I will drive usWink

If you come to Vancouver Island you can drive me around.

O+
Posted: Jan 25, 2009 at 11:57 Quote
You have to remember that most people who live and go to whistler are so rich that they haven't been affected by the economy in the least.
Just some food for thought.....

Mod
Posted: Jan 25, 2009 at 12:02 Quote
nishnash wrote:
You have to remember that most people who live and go to whistler are so rich that they haven't been affected by the economy in the least.
Just some food for thought.....

You're kidding right. People who live in Whistler have cabins/other homes there but they are feeling the pinch. People lost hundreds of thousands if not millions in the stock market. Ask them how many trips to Whistler they are taking. The very wealthy are probably the most affected as they are the people that have a lot of interest in the market and have lost oodles of money. That has to be one of the dumbest comments I have ever heard. Everyone has been affected by the economy. Everyone from the homeless to the very wealthy! I mean Whistler only forecasted a 40% drop in visitors but people are flocking there by the tens of thousands... Rolleyes

O+
Posted: Jan 25, 2009 at 12:07 Quote
Hmm lets see.....
about 60% of my friends (between 11 and 16) have whistler ski passes.
including those the 90% of em ski in whistler 5 or more times a year
40% spend more than one day there
And those are just my friends. And those numbers are educated guesses, not random numbers. The amount of people that I KNOW in vancouver that go to whistler regularly have not stopped because of the economy. They just have to much money.
EDIT: What I am trying to say is people are losing money, lots of it, but they can still afford to go to whistler, saying they cant is like saying if bill gates lost 3/4 his money he wouldn't be able to afford a lamborghini......... Do you get my point?
EDITx2: Also when you say the wealthy are the biggest hit, look at it this way, they lose 50% of their money overnight (as an example) they still have lets say 10mil in their bank. That 10mil is 10mil, they can still spend it how they please. Sure they lost 10mil, so more than an average joe could afford to lose, but they still have more money than the average joe. You have to look at it relitavely, not the numbers by themselves, but the numbers compared to the other numbers if you get what i mean.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.015173
Mobile Version of Website