Pinkbike will be undergoing scheduled maintenance on May 29 at 9pm PST for up to 6 hours. We apologize for any inconvenience caused during this time.
Powered by Outside

As a bicycle mechanic what is your most hated job?

PB Forum :: Mechanics' Lounge
As a bicycle mechanic what is your most hated job?
Posted: Jan 26, 2009 at 16:04 Quote
street-panda wrote:
when my boss inserts me in the basement Frown
You should report him to the Police.

Posted: Jan 26, 2009 at 16:14 Quote
blind123456 wrote:
we have these 2 guys that come to our bike shop often they are poor, dirty guys, but so nice. they get there bikes from the dump and bike parts from there too. theres bikes are always so f*ck we see parts on our bike that we have thrown out and they come back and say can you fix this. then we have to explain to them that we just threw it out and its cant be fixed. may not sound bad but fixing a bike where parts dont fit right and smells like dump sucks.

There was one dude around here like that-great guy. About two years ago a bunch of the local guys, ATC's mostly, got together and bought him a brand new Giant Boulder SE.

Posted: Jan 26, 2009 at 16:40 Quote
trying to adjust shitty brakes that dont work as it is!

O+
Posted: Jan 26, 2009 at 16:44 Quote
oldude wrote:
street-panda wrote:
when my boss inserts me in the basement Frown
You should report him to the Police.
yeah dude.
thats just wrong.

Posted: Jan 26, 2009 at 17:05 Quote
konarider92 wrote:

i hate super old bikes and the owners always like i dont want new brakes i just want u to get these running because these are the origianly brakes. oo so much fun

Posted: Jan 26, 2009 at 17:30 Quote
blind123456 wrote:
konarider92 wrote:

i hate super old bikes and the owners always like i dont want new brakes i just want u to get these running because these are the origianly brakes. oo so much fun

ha or the same deal but they want a brand new original brake... and other parts. honestly.. does J&B stock shit from 30 years ago? some stuff yeah but not most things..

Posted: Jan 27, 2009 at 19:50 Quote
definitely the old bikes that the owners think should work like new. and truing a wheel that the customer complains about not being perfectly true after being taco'ed, but they're too cheap to buy a new one.

Posted: Jan 27, 2009 at 20:04 Quote
Gsnickets wrote:
definitely the old bikes that the owners think should work like new. and truing a wheel that the customer complains about not being perfectly true after being taco'ed, but they're too cheap to buy a new one.

i fined roadies to be the worst with having to straighten wheels perfectly

O+ FL
Posted: Jan 27, 2009 at 20:19 Quote
Those stupid Landrider bikes, with "autoshift technology" They bad mouth bike shops on their infomercial but if someone has a problem they send em to a bike shop. That and when its a real turd that need polishing but the guy only wants like his rear brake adjustment but the wheel is so untrue and the hub is so loose that thats impossible but he only wants to spend $15. God I hate that and similair situations

Posted: Jan 27, 2009 at 20:22 Quote
If all of you mechanics are tired of dealing with customers, why don't you all save your self some energy and get another job.

Posted: Jan 27, 2009 at 20:24 Quote
foxmtbing wrote:
If all of you mechanics are tired of dealing with customers, why don't you all save your self some energy and get another job.

cause not all customers are bad. and the perks of working at a bike shop are sweet

O+ FL
Posted: Jan 27, 2009 at 20:26 Quote
foxmtbing wrote:

because its not our fault, we're the know it all bike mechanics, if we could just get rid of those damn customers we'd finally be able to relax.
But seriously, other professions just hate their jobs or they go to a bar to vent, we just go to pinkbike to vent. I'm sure we all really love our jobs and I for one cant picture doin anything else, but everyones gotta vent sometime.

Posted: Jan 27, 2009 at 20:30 Quote
sk8kid33 wrote:
foxmtbing wrote:

because its not our fault, we're the know it all bike mechanics, if we could just get rid of those damn customers we'd finally be able to relax.
But seriously, other professions just hate their jobs or they go to a bar to vent, we just go to pinkbike to vent. I'm sure we all really love our jobs and I for one cant picture doin anything else, but everyones gotta vent sometime.

I've worked in a bike shop about 2 years ago. If its what you choose to do, you shouldn't be bitching about the people you serve. Say you own an expensive car, and you take it to a mechanic, wouldn't you want them to do the best job possible for you?

O+ FL
Posted: Jan 27, 2009 at 20:38 Quote
foxmtbing wrote:
sk8kid33 wrote:
foxmtbing wrote:

I've worked in a bike shop about 2 years ago. If its what you choose to do, you shouldn't be bitching about the people you serve. Say you own an expensive car, and you take it to a mechanic, wouldn't you want them to do the best job possible for you?

My last one then I'll stop, I dont wanna hijack the thread. Yes I would in short, thats why none of us are whining about the $5000 Yetis, we're all complaining about department store bikes and stuff. If you had an '86 Ford Festiva would you take it to the BMW dealer with $100 and whine because it didn't run like an M3 when ya picked it up????? I'm goin on year FIVE working in a shop and the last year 9/10 bikes were crap, so I'm reserving my right to complain a bit.

And as far as a new job goes, with this economy??? Please.

Posted: Jan 27, 2009 at 20:57 Quote
Dogshit, need I say more?

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.017677
Mobile Version of Website