Powered by Outside

Little Tricks while in the shop

PB Forum :: Mechanics' Lounge
Little Tricks while in the shop
Posted: Oct 14, 2007 at 20:42 Quote
This is more of an anecdote than a tip, but it could be useful in boosting shop morale.

Here's what you need:
1) (1) small one man bathroom with crack under the door
2) (1) inner tube
3) (1) air compressor
4) (1) unsuspecting buddy to go number 2

Here's what you do:
1) slide the tube all the way under the door except for the valve stem (Make sure you keep a firm grasp on it though. If it's not their first rodeo, they'll grab the tube and pull it all the way in, and then you're busted)
2) inflate the tube until there is a glorious explosion

The john at my old shop was perfect for this one. Just big enough to turn around in. I've been at both ends of this one, and believe me, it's kinda scary having a tube explode in your face.Smile

Posted: Oct 15, 2007 at 13:01 Quote
2005bigfoot wrote:
hahahahahahahahaha^^^^^^ how was that for u

Well it put a hole in the wall... I covered it up with some duct tape Razz

Fairly mild compared to losing an eye or something crazy like that

Posted: Oct 25, 2007 at 12:16 Quote
Well this is kind of a simple one, but I always cut old inner tubes so they can't be mistaken for a new one. One other one is always keep a piece of clean white paper in yer pocket for truing rotors.

Posted: Oct 25, 2007 at 13:31 Quote
dotca wrote:
lbobbitt513 wrote:

and use bowls, bowls are perfect to keep all your pieces from running away

or a box or a bucket. Anything to hold your parts in.

Better yet, make a small investment and get a magnetic parts tray. It will pay for itself the first time you knock it over and the parts just fall under the bowl and not across the room and under everything.

O+
Posted: Oct 25, 2007 at 14:06 Quote
take the end off of your air blower dealy for your compressor and screw a QR into the end and you can shoot ball bearings. on the helpful side, just clean everything as you take it apart because nothing is worse than working on a dirty bike. you dont have to torque everything on super tight because for one you could strip bolts and second its only harder to get apart the next time. double check everything once you are done. if something is worn just replace it, this goes for chains, sprockets, jockeywheels, any bearings, bolts, cables that have been worn through, tires, and anything else you can think of.

Posted: Oct 25, 2007 at 14:19 Quote
tonka-bike wrote:
Well this is kind of a simple one, but I always cut old inner tubes so they can't be mistaken for a new one. One other one is always keep a piece of clean white paper in yer pocket for truing rotors.

O dang I've done that twice in a row... I was soo pissed off...

Heres another simple one thats probably obvious

If it becomes really hard to thread some thing in... its going in wrong... ie pedals and bolts

Posted: Oct 25, 2007 at 14:36 Quote
Use two peices of wood and a rubber mallet while installing headset cups if you dont have a headset cup press.

Posted: Oct 25, 2007 at 14:43 Quote
measure twice, cut once

measure like a girl, hammer like a man

etc etc

a bike stand makes everything so easy, esp bleeding brakes.

when threading pedals in etc i always start by turning the wrong way deliberately, this helps in ling up threads. eg 1 turn wrong way then do up correct way.

ditty for tightening pedals. "Right hand side is right" (ie RIGHT hand side pedals are done up the RIGHT way ie clockwise and therefore left pedal is done up anti clockwise)

bb cups are opposite to above ditty

Posted: Oct 25, 2007 at 14:44 Quote
i use a long coach bolt with nice big washers on to use as a headset press

Posted: Oct 25, 2007 at 14:54 Quote
thud wrote:
mcclave17 wrote:
pattyosullivan wrote:
a few good shop tricks are:
1) when threading anything in (esp pedals) always use your fingers and grease first to make sure you dont cross-thread. once they're in all the way, tighten them with your pedal wrench
2) only tighten down stem caps till they begin to resist, otherwise you can break them easily
3) an old cut up bike tube and some zip-ties make a perfect chainstay protector
4) air compressors are a must for a shop so you can quickly inflate tires, clean off dirty parts, remove and install grips, and can fire valve caps at your friends
5) fire is an amazing fix for getting oil off brake pads and rotors
6) lastly, a shop apron can help alot cuz it can hold tools you need to use again soon, keep you from getting your badass riding shirt and shorts dirty or stained, and generally makes you look pretty cool, especially in front of the ladies

hope these shop tips help

true that on air compressors, you can also shoot old grips at ur buddies too. and yes i never start working without my apron, definate stud factor

i shall memorize these now but imnot so sure bout the fire bit might end up in a garage or 2 been burnt id have to try this out side

when i say use fire, i dont mean BUILD a fire, i mean use a lighter or torch to burn off the oil and grease. not much chance of burning down the building unless you're a complete moron. after a few stops they work good as new. brake cleaner tends not to work as well as it doesnt really remove oil. only dirt.

Posted: Nov 10, 2007 at 15:01 Quote
mr-bigginzs wrote:
when your sizing a new chain on a bike make sure the chain is on the biggest rings, and after your size it makes putting the pin back in easier if you zip-tie the derailer to the chainstay.
you can also bend a paper clip to hold two of the chain links together.

Posted: May 28, 2008 at 18:57 Quote
Hi, i have a seized seatpost(i think) and since it's an stp which means i cant use chemicals to burn through the aluminium seatpost because it will burn throught the frame, i really dont know what on earth to do. Can u help me?

Posted: May 28, 2008 at 19:00 Quote
blah12325 wrote:
Hi, i have a seized seatpost(i think) and since it's an stp which means i cant use chemicals to burn through the aluminium seatpost because it will burn throught the frame, i really dont know what on earth to do. Can u help me?

Try using a penetrating oil like WD40 between the post and seat tube, then take a mallet to it. If that doesn't work, flip your bike upside down, take your seat off (if possible) and clamp it to a vice. Then twist your bike on the vice until it breaks free.

Posted: May 28, 2008 at 19:01 Quote
blah12325 wrote:

Get a buddy to help you...
Take your saddle off.
Put the seat post in the vice
Then you and you buddies just need to twist the frame to pull it off the seatpost

Its not pretty but usually works cause all the leverage from the frame

Posted: May 28, 2008 at 19:11 Quote
Try to break it free all in one shot, going slow is going to bend things.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.021959
Mobile Version of Website