Powered by Outside

Kicked Off?

PB Forum :: Off-Topic
Kicked Off?
Posted: Nov 6, 2007 at 12:58 Quote
this is just an idea and im not sure if its good or not, but maybe when somebody goes to make a new thread, before it shows up in the forum it has to be approved by a moderator, just an idea.

Posted: Nov 6, 2007 at 12:59 Quote
r-m-r wrote:
gabor wrote:
r-m-r wrote:

I don't know who said that, but I don't recall approving that.

We have guidelines above the message composition window and we have the rules posted elsewhere. The vast majority of them are just common sense.

We can only hold people's hands for so long. I'm not sure I want to have every forum cluttered with rules, tutorials, reference material, etc. just so we can say "I told you so" when we ban people.
I was thinking more along the lines of not postering everything with F R&G but maybe sticking it in the most frequented sections.

(Aside from the obvious cluttering, I doubt I'd have the patience to stick 50 stickies up, one in each subforum Smile ).

If you really want to, then sure, but only in the forums that are notorious for having crap posts.

The irony, though, is that the idiot posters are the same people who would never be bothered to read 'em.

My thinking precisely

Posted: Nov 6, 2007 at 13:00 Quote
gabor wrote:
MadMike2007 wrote:
However often you disply the rules, there are always going to be people that disobey, and whilst having them in each popular forum is a good idea, it may not neccesarily solve the problem. Might help though Big Grin
True. Should we just leave it as it is then?

Give it a try, I assume you can always remove it if it just turns out to be clutter.

Posted: Nov 6, 2007 at 13:02 Quote
mtnbikermaniac wrote:
this is just an idea and im not sure if its good or not, but maybe when somebody goes to make a new thread, before it shows up in the forum it has to be approved by a moderator, just an idea.

Yeah, but then you get 30 odd threads a day needing approving. Remember that the mods are volunteers and may not have time to sift through that many threads.

Posted: Nov 6, 2007 at 13:02 Quote
mtnbikermaniac wrote:

ARE YOU INSANE?!

Seriously, we have thousands of posts per day. Do you know how much we get paid for this job? We get a Pinkbike T-shirt every few years. I do NOT have the time for that!

I'm not trying to be rude, I'm just saying "HOLY CRAP! NOOOO!"

Posted: Nov 6, 2007 at 13:03 Quote
MadMike2007 wrote:
gabor wrote:
MadMike2007 wrote:
However often you disply the rules, there are always going to be people that disobey, and whilst having them in each popular forum is a good idea, it may not neccesarily solve the problem. Might help though Big Grin
True. Should we just leave it as it is then?

Give it a try, I assume you can always remove it if it just turns out to be clutter.
After a brief discussion on MSN, I think the conclusion is that we'll leave everything as they are, except for the title of the Rules & Guidelines thread in this Off Topic subforum which I changed to something more conspicuous: "Forum Rules & Guidelines."

I meant 3000 by the way...

Mod
mtnbikermaniac wrote:

that would take much to long... I'm guessing that a couple hundred new threads get posted up everyday... I don't think that any of the mods have the time to read through them and mod at the smae time. Time is valuable.

Posted: Nov 6, 2007 at 13:04 Quote
r-m-r wrote:
mtnbikermaniac wrote:

ARE YOU INSANE?!

Seriously, we have thousands of posts per day. Do you know how much we get paid for this job? We get a Pinkbike T-shirt every few years. I do NOT have the time for that!

I'm not trying to be rude, I'm just saying "HOLY CRAP! NOOOO!"

i was talking about just threads, not posts, and again it was just an idea

Posted: Nov 6, 2007 at 13:06 Quote
mtnbikermaniac wrote:
i was talking about just threads, not posts, and again it was just an idea

And I'm just having some fun with you.

I appreciate the idea and it's true that that would help, but it's not practical.

Posted: Nov 6, 2007 at 13:07 Quote
On the topic of moderation I suppose... I've always wanted to browse the mod forum... It seems like there's some interesting stuff in there.. Razz

Posted: Nov 6, 2007 at 13:08 Quote
its still a good idea. it would definitely help filter out all the useless threads

Posted: Nov 6, 2007 at 13:08 Quote
gibson19 wrote:
On the topic of moderation I suppose... I've always wanted to browse the mod forum... It seems like there's some interesting stuff in there.. Razz

You would not BELIEVE what goes on in there! HOOO-boy, that is some spicy stuff! The secrets! The gossip! The nude pictures! The plans for world domination!

Actually no, it's remarkably boring. We have about one to five posts per day, mostly discussing how to best manage the site.

Posted: Nov 6, 2007 at 13:09 Quote
frolosophy wrote:
its still a good idea. it would definitely help filter out all the useless threads

So would banning everybody and only allowing me to post my rants here, but I wouldn't call THAT a good idea, either. Razz

Mod
Posted: Nov 6, 2007 at 13:10 Quote
r-m-r wrote:
gibson19 wrote:

You would not BELIEVE what goes on in there! HOOO-boy, that is some spicy stuff! The secrets! The gossip! The nude pictures! The plans for world domination!

Actually no, it's remarkably boring. We have about one to five posts per day, mostly discussing how to best manage the site.

I donno - your mod topics always look interesting. Like the 'Quality of Posts' one etc.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.010952
Mobile Version of Website