Powered by Outside

Devinci 8 Flat 8 or Kona Stinky? Which is better for freeriding

PB Forum :: Freeride & Slopestyle
Devinci 8 Flat 8 or Kona Stinky? Which is better for freeriding
Posted: Apr 18, 2009 at 2:44 Quote
Devinci all the way. Konas ride like tanks. Will Kona ever get rid of the 4 bar?
Same goes for the FSR and specalized.

Posted: Apr 18, 2009 at 10:40 Quote
Seriously go with the Devinci. People defending kona 99 percent of the time own a kona. They just cant admit that their precious bike is known for breaking. no disrespect to ANYONE here. im just saying. Freeride is rough. Konas arent.

Posted: Apr 18, 2009 at 10:52 Quote
D-ponko wrote:
Seriously go with the Devinci. People defending kona 99 percent of the time own a kona. They just cant admit that their precious bike is known for breaking. no disrespect to ANYONE here. im just saying. Freeride is rough. Konas arent.
Generally the people who own a bike know it best.
I could say that the norco a-line breaks all the time...
just because some random guy on the internet told me so.
Does that make me right?

I've owned several Kona's... mostly because I haven't had the funds to get anything better.
They are fine bikes, and rather durable.
I'm the first to admit they have limits.
But I'm also the first to say that most broken kona's are because the rider is a hack and landed 20ft to flat and expects his bike to not break.

The only true flaw in their design was the links on the 2006(?) stinky(could have been the stab as well, not sure)... but they fixed that for 2007 and offer the links free to any owner of a 2006.

For the record... I've seen a Session 88 get totaled by a rock being kicked up from the tire... and I've yet to do any damage to my stinky when doing some rather gnarly stuff(including some badass bails)...

It's all in the rider dude. You abuse your rig and it won't last.
To the original poster... as I've said before, go testride them both and get what you like better.
The Dev is the higher quality rig I think, but the kona is by no means shit.
(I see guys still doing FR on their old 2001 stinky's, doing shit that some people wouldn't go near)

Posted: Apr 18, 2009 at 11:06 Quote
It amuses me to see such young people with strong assumptions based on Internet Rumours.. ASS umptions... Dont believe everything you read..

Demo some bikes..Talk to people who own certain bikes..

Get some skills...Any bike will work..

Posted: Apr 18, 2009 at 11:21 Quote
my buddy's brother beat his buddy down one of the toughest trails near me when he was riding an 03 stinky while his buddy was on an 08 Norco Team DH so it does all depend on rider's preference and on rider's skill

Posted: Apr 18, 2009 at 16:32 Quote
knightridersix04 wrote:
my buddy's brother beat his buddy down one of the toughest trails near me when he was riding an 03 stinky while his buddy was on an 08 Norco Team DH so it does all depend on rider's preference and on rider's skill

this is the deciding factor, not the price/reputation of the bike

Posted: Apr 19, 2009 at 13:46 Quote
i've got an 07 stinky and love it. i agree with the above poster that it's all in the rider. any bike will break if you abuse it enough. when the largest mtb park in the world has stinky's for their rental bikes it means something.

Posted: Apr 19, 2009 at 13:48 Quote
timmyfosho wrote:
i've got an 07 stinky and love it. i agree with the above poster that it's all in the rider. any bike will break if you abuse it enough. when the largest mtb park in the world has stinky's for their rental bikes it means something.
Its just corporate sponsorship, they get the bikes super cheap... no to mention the other 5 or 10 rental places up there... u can rent any bike up there...

Posted: Apr 19, 2009 at 13:58 Quote
yeah i know. i'm just sayin.....

Posted: Jun 5, 2011 at 19:16 Quote
specializ20 wrote:
konarider187 wrote:
the only reason why u see more snapped konas is beacuse there the most popular dh/fr bike so of corse your going to see more of them broken

+1

Posted: Jun 5, 2011 at 19:17 Quote
konarider187 wrote:
the only reason why u see more snapped konas is beacuse there the most popular dh/fr bike so of corse your going to see more of them broken

no because there crap

Posted: Jun 7, 2011 at 3:48 Quote
dont feed the trolls...
kona is a durable brand.. check graham aggasiz.

Posted: Jun 7, 2011 at 11:11 Quote
nut-case wrote:
dont feed the trolls...
kona is a durable brand.. check graham aggasiz.

he gets them for free... they dont mention the ones he breaks...
kona = entry level
you get what you pay for...

O+ FL
Posted: Jun 7, 2011 at 17:45 Quote
GOD DAMMIT DIG THIS REALLY HAVE TO BE GRAVE DIGGED?

Kona Stinky= crap suspension, ok warranty, cheap price, durable frame.

Unlike many others in this thread, I actually own one and actively ride it. That being said, can everyone PLEASE stop saying the same things over and over again. You shouldn't be biased about a bike unless you've ACTUALLY HAD AN EXPERIENCE WITH ONE BREAKING, and not something you read over the net.

[/RANT]

Posted: Jun 8, 2011 at 0:17 Quote
hmm crap warrenty?.... didnt have any experience with it...
but it is a life time warrenty I always thought

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.020744
Mobile Version of Website