Powered by Outside

I want to run brakeless but i live on a hill... anyone else with this problem?

PB Forum :: BMX (20")
I want to run brakeless but i live on a hill... anyone else with this problem?
Posted: Jun 28, 2009 at 9:17 Quote
yeeah me too, just roll on the grass beside the road, you will slow down.

Posted: Jun 28, 2009 at 9:22 Quote
I have ran equal amounts of time brakeless and with brakes. Personally, I felt no difference in weight with them on and off, so the weight thing is sort of pointless. You can do more things with a brake (unless you're extremely skilled and can do things like abubacas, tailtaps and fufanus brakeless, which I doubt is the case here). It helps a lot in emergency situations. I suggest you keep your brakes on. Learn to not use them much if you want to get the feel of brakeless, it's not like anyone is forcing you to press them... Grip your bars with all 4 fingers at all times, to resist the temptation.

If I was brakeless yesterday, I would have probably been splattered all over the side of a Nissan Pathfinder. Dickhead came flying out of a blind alleyway, didn't even look to see if anyone was coming... my friend and I left some nice streaks on the ground, yelled a lot of obscenities and spat at him. a*shole.

Posted: Jun 28, 2009 at 9:26 Quote
JokerMachine wrote:
I have ran equal amounts of time brakeless and with brakes. Personally, I felt no difference in weight with them on and off, so the weight thing is sort of pointless. You can do more things with a brake (unless you're extremely skilled and can do things like abubacas, tailtaps and fufanus brakeless, which I doubt is the case here). It helps a lot in emergency situations. I suggest you keep your brakes on. Learn to not use them much if you want to get the feel of brakeless, it's not like anyone is forcing you to press them... Grip your bars with all 4 fingers at all times, to resist the temptation.

If I was brakeless yesterday, I would have probably been splattered all over the side of a Nissan Pathfinder. Dickhead came flying out of a blind alleyway, didn't even look to see if anyone was coming... my friend and I left some nice streaks on the ground, yelled a lot of obscenities and spat at him. a*shole.
not that hard

Posted: Jun 28, 2009 at 9:35 Quote
xt-shreder wrote:
Jokermachine wrote:
abubacas, tailtaps and fufanus brakeless
not that hard

Definitely not easy to learn, and unless you're very good, won't look nearly as nice as if you did them with a brake.

Posted: Jun 28, 2009 at 14:54 Quote
Haydos585 wrote:
mikedjumpin wrote:
if you ride brakes you have to cut ur mounts off or ur a bitch

i hope thats a joke

nah man, itd make people comit

Posted: Jun 28, 2009 at 19:07 Quote
mikedjumpin wrote:
Haydos585 wrote:
mikedjumpin wrote:
if you ride brakes you have to cut ur mounts off or ur a bitch

i hope thats a joke

nah man, itd make people comit

I have optional brake mounts, meaning i can take them off but still have them if i want brakes. Big Grin

Posted: Jun 28, 2009 at 23:23 Quote
i have no problem with people taking their mounts off if they are optional
i just think that people should think about what they're doing when they shave them off
i just see it killing resale value and i know people are like
ohhhhh nah im never going to sell my bike i love it
but wait till next year when new parts come out and your struggling to sell your frame because people dont want to ride brakeless anymore

Posted: Jun 29, 2009 at 0:03 Quote
Haydos585 wrote:
i have no problem with people taking their mounts off if they are optional
i just think that people should think about what they're doing when they shave them off
i just see it killing resale value and i know people are like
ohhhhh nah im never going to sell my bike i love it
but wait till next year when new parts come out and your struggling to sell your frame because people dont want to ride brakeless anymore

people will ride what they ride. not because some trend tells them to.. brakeless has been around long before any of us even we knew what a bike was, hell! what do you think the first bike had? sure as hell didnt have brakes, better put those feet down! haha

oh and a year, and new parts is not going to change peoples riding style. PLEASE! dont give us that bullcrap. There will ALWAYS be riders in every genre of riding. you think that people who ride fixies are just gonna all of a sudden start riding regular road bikes because some new parts come out.

the people that do it for the trend will follow, the people who are hardcore will do what they please.

Posted: Jun 29, 2009 at 0:58 Quote
may not necessarily be a year but i think that if you shave your mounts off buy a new frame and try to sell your old frame you'll have a bit of trouble.
but to be honest there are many people (maybe not you personally) that do things to their bikes purely because everyone else is..

(according to wikipedia the penny farthing did have brakes)

Posted: Jun 29, 2009 at 1:12 Quote
Use the brakes then.

Brakeless is such a trend these days and big waste of shoes.

Posted: Jun 29, 2009 at 2:17 Quote
ive been brakeless for over a year,
im still going strong with the same shoe, i dont live in a particularly hilly area.
(i wear nike 6.0s not coz im a trend whore but because nigel sylvester wore them and at the time i thought he was the shit)

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.016483
Mobile Version of Website