Powered by Outside

Hey, can you get a speeding ticket on a bike?

PB Forum :: Downhill
Hey, can you get a speeding ticket on a bike?
Posted: Jul 24, 2009 at 18:58 Quote
[Quote="tim-ellis"]
em-j wrote:
Mitchen wrote:
Yeah I think in Australia they have sidewalk speed limits for bike riders but I'm not sure if you can get a ticket for it.
I thought it was illegal to ride on the footpath unless you're under twelve or something?
I have a friend who was fined for riding under the influence of alcohol lol They only realised he was drunk after he rode straight into a fence.

Nah, I ride on footpaths to get to friends places. The only sort of harrasment I get is old/bald/fat guys telling me to get off the footpath.

Posted: Jul 24, 2009 at 21:42 Quote
em-j wrote:
rossgirvan wrote:
In the U.K. at least no you cannot get a speeding ticket as you have no license or a speedometer if you contested it would not hold up in court. The only way you can be prosecuted is to recieve (first time) a caution for cycling recklessly.
I wish it was the same here, they've brought in this law now where police are allowed to estimate your speed. They claim that as they have training to judge the speed of a vehicle moving away from them that it's a perfectly justifiable way to prosecute someone.
that sounds like bullshit. there is no way for them to be able to tell your speed by just looking at you.

Posted: Jul 25, 2009 at 1:20 Quote
em-j wrote:
rossgirvan wrote:
In the U.K. at least no you cannot get a speeding ticket as you have no license or a speedometer if you contested it would not hold up in court. The only way you can be prosecuted is to recieve (first time) a caution for cycling recklessly.
I wish it was the same here, they've brought in this law now where police are allowed to estimate your speed. They claim that as they have training to judge the speed of a vehicle moving away from them that it's a perfectly justifiable way to prosecute someone.
That is ridiculous - and us Brits think we have it bad over hear, looks like the whole world is living under a nanny state now...

Posted: Jul 25, 2009 at 1:40 Quote
IN FRANCE IT S WORSE THAN THAT, i saw on evening news a few month back, a report on a dude who got arrested cause he was riding drunk, and honest he wasn t completely wasted.... 1.3 grams i think, on a saturday night back from a party....

saw vids of australians track riders getting issues for riding brakeless, and that includes massive 30 cops intervention....the cops made them desinflate the tires completely to make sure they d walk home...it s reached a point where it s getting kind of SILLy!!!

Posted: Jul 25, 2009 at 1:48 Quote
i got a speeding ticket. i was biking to work, and there's this huge downhill section followed by a short uphill, so i was using momentum from the downhill so i wouldn't have to pedal up the next hill. i'm on my single speed riot in a tuck going down the hill, completely booking it. i go past a cop, dont think much of it. keep going down, and i see a motorcycle cop sitting on the side of the trail with his radar gun waiting for me. blipped his siren and told me to pull over using his PA. i got written up doing 25mph down the hill, posted speed limit on the bike path is 10mph. i ended up contesting the ticket because 1) there were no posted speed limit signs and 2) the police officer wrote down my information wrong. that was a PITA, but i didn't want to loose my license...

Posted: Jul 25, 2009 at 2:01 Quote
rrampoldi wrote:
em-j wrote:
rossgirvan wrote:
that sounds like bullshit. there is no way for them to be able to tell your speed by just looking at you.
It's a massive wank. My cousin got nailed for speeding near my house on a dark, windy road riding his gixxer thou. The cop who pulled him up was too far away to see that he had a numberplate (they thought the bike was stolen) so they nailed him for 50kph over even though they admitted they couldn't see him clearly. Joke or what.

Posted: Jul 25, 2009 at 2:02 Quote
rrampoldi wrote:
em-j wrote:
rossgirvan wrote:

Actually yes they can hold this up in court if they have 'advanced driver' training AKA they are traffic police.
Normal cops in their Fiat Pandas or whatever they are driving wouldn't be able to hold this up in court.

Posted: Jul 25, 2009 at 2:04 Quote
levvii wrote:
rrampoldi wrote:
em-j wrote:

Actually yes they can hold this up in court if they have 'advanced driver' training AKA they are traffic police.
Normal cops in their Fiat Pandas or whatever they are driving wouldn't be able to hold this up in court.
lol I don't think i could take a cop seriously if he rolled up in a Fiat Panda lol

Posted: Jul 25, 2009 at 2:12 Quote
never got s ticket. i rode in a school zone once and they had a speed trap there, i pedaled out in 8th gear wheni still had gears and that was over 50k for sure and in a 40 zone and nothing

Posted: Jul 25, 2009 at 2:18 Quote
rockurfrigginbike wrote:
chrisCRACK wrote:
I've been pulled over.
Speed limit on a sidewalk in Canada is like 22km/h, and i was going 29 down a hill.

He just gave me a warning because I "didn't know" lol

same man
they took all my info cause next time i get no warning
no more DH races with my buddies in downtown toronto Frown
and he also said that if you have tires over 2" thickness you have to ride on the road Confused
is this true? or is it just the pigs making another excuse?

That means I can't ride my BMX on the road or on the side walk. It has 20" wheels so legally it's considered a toy, and is illegal to ride on the road. I have 2.1" tires front and rear, so that means it's illegal to ride on the side walk. I guess I just have to hover. Ninja

Posted: Jul 25, 2009 at 6:11 Quote
levvii wrote:
That only applies to speeding vehicles, the traffic cops have to have their motors calibrated and a certificate to prove so, otherwise it could be contested in court, within reason of coarse. Pedal cycle-wise as the vehicle you are in control of has no speed indication they cannot give you a ticket or fine, however they can tell you to wind yer' neck in and you have to comply.

Posted: Jul 25, 2009 at 10:29 Quote
tim-ellis wrote:
bubabmx24 wrote:
yea i got a speeding ticket, i was trying to catch a bus and i guess your not suppose to have bikes on the curb and i was riding on the curb, stupiest law i f*cking know, the cop gave me a ticket and i went to court and got 35 community service hours.
e your'e kidding?? Blank Stare
Nope..

Posted: Jul 25, 2009 at 10:31 Quote
Were you on a BMX? If so, you should have won at court. BMX bikes are legally considered toys because of the 20" wheel size( at least in Canada and the U.S.A). Since it's not a vehicle, it has to be ridden on the sidewalk, and not the road.

Posted: Jul 25, 2009 at 10:39 Quote
lettusdude wrote:
Were you on a BMX? If so, you should have won at court. BMX bikes are legally considered toys because of the 20" wheel size( at least in Canada and the U.S.A). Since it's not a vehicle, it has to be ridden on the sidewalk, and not the road.
Yea i was on a bmx, i guess the cop got really pissed at me and my cuz because we were riding at skate park and then all we see is a dick coming with his flashing lights and tells us to leave. so we ride downtown to catch a bus and then he shows up again and tells us to stop and he wrote up a ticket stating that we were riding our bikes on the sidewalk and should be riding on the street which is stupied because the cars are going about 45-50mph and there is no bike path, so we start arguing about it and then he just gave us a ticket, i went to court and the douchbag didnt show up and the ticket said i was on a skateboard and i was on a bike, the judge said the fine was $180 n usd, and i said i would rather do community service. so i got 35 hours.

Posted: Jul 25, 2009 at 11:25 Quote
bubabmx24 wrote:
lettusdude wrote:
Yea i was on a bmx, i guess the cop got really pissed at me and my cuz because we were riding at skate park and then all we see is a dick coming with his flashing lights and tells us to leave. so we ride downtown to catch a bus and then he shows up again and tells us to stop and he wrote up a ticket stating that we were riding our bikes on the sidewalk and should be riding on the street which is stupied because the cars are going about 45-50mph and there is no bike path, so we start arguing about it and then he just gave us a ticket, i went to court and the douchbag didnt show up and the ticket said i was on a skateboard and i was on a bike, the judge said the fine was $180 n usd, and i said i would rather do community service. so i got 35 hours.

Thats why when you get a ticket you have to make sure it says somewhere on it "Bicycle".

A skateboarder in my town got a ticket for whatever on his board and the cop didn't write down that he was on a skateboard so when he went court the cop who ticketed him didn't show and he got points on his license because of it.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.021247
Mobile Version of Website