Powered by Outside

What bike would be good for my 14 yr old for DJ/Skatepark riding??

PB Forum :: Bikes, Parts, and Gear
What bike would be good for my 14 yr old for DJ/Skatepark riding??
Posted: Nov 14, 2007 at 17:19 Quote
bikemane wrote:
how much is a half decent bmx?

spend like 800 and build one up stock bmx are worhtless

Posted: Nov 14, 2007 at 17:24 Quote
superdudster666 wrote:
bikemane wrote:
how much is a half decent bmx?

spend like 800 and build one up stock bmx are worhtless

You'll have a hard time building a half decent bmx with only 800 unless you spend months looking for good deals. There are TONNES of good complete bmxes out there,800 will get you a very nice complete, but not a good custom. Plus he's just starting out and doesn't need a 2000 dollar custom build. a 5 or 600 dollar complete will serve him just fine.

Posted: Nov 14, 2007 at 17:28 Quote
but if was going to spend money for mtb a nicer bmx could be cheaper and you can build a great bmx for 800

Posted: Nov 14, 2007 at 17:31 Quote
photo

the sunday on the end is custom and it's super nice and light and it was about 800

Posted: Nov 14, 2007 at 17:36 Quote
If you buy all the parts new, then no, you wont get a very good bmx with $800.

Frame: $300
Cranks: $200
Bars: $80
Fork: $140
Stem: $80

Those are average prices for good bike parts. You're all ready up to $800 and you would still need to buy the pedals, sprocket, bb, hs, wheels, tires, grips, brakes, seat, post, clamp, chain, etc. $800 won't get you a nice custom bmx unless you buy most of your stuff used and get killer deals.

You'd be better off buying a complete.

Posted: Nov 14, 2007 at 17:41 Quote
Thanks for all the input. I didn't want this to turn into a huge debate about bmx vs. mtb. Personally, I love them both. About the price of a build up vs. a package bike, a guy at the bike shop here said to buy the $300.00 package bike with the decent components, buy the frame you want to put it on, and then sell the brand new package frame to someone else. Not a bad idea either.

Posted: Nov 14, 2007 at 17:49 Quote
lettusdude wrote:
If you buy all the parts new, then no, you wont get a very good bmx with $800.

Frame: $300
Cranks: $200
Bars: $80
Fork: $140
Stem: $80

Those are average prices for good bike parts. You're all ready up to $800 and you would still need to buy the pedals, sprocket, bb, hs, wheels, tires, grips, brakes, seat, post, clamp, chain, etc. $800 won't get you a nice custom bmx unless you buy most of your stuff used and get killer deals.

You'd be better off buying a complete.

dude if you don't buy used but like last years stuff on closout

who would spend 80 on bars 80 on a stem
or 200 for cranks?
i have a nice fbm stem that i got for 50 bars for 50 macneil silencer to
stolen team cranks and s&m bb for 130
and a good fork can be like 100 dollers

Posted: Nov 15, 2007 at 10:47 Quote
if your son values his wrist's get him a nice street mtb because suspention is allways nice the first couple times where you can make a mistake once or twice where as with a rigid one or two mistakes and he'll be in extreme pain with his wrist's

Posted: Nov 15, 2007 at 10:51 Quote
Chase 1, 2, 3 , or 4.

cheese Smile

Posted: Nov 15, 2007 at 10:53 Quote
apple-tree wrote:
if your son values his wrist's get him a nice street mtb because suspention is allways nice the first couple times where you can make a mistake once or twice where as with a rigid one or two mistakes and he'll be in extreme pain with his wrist's
hes 14 not a baby.

Posted: Nov 15, 2007 at 11:03 Quote
norco 125 or 250
specialized p1 or p2

Posted: Nov 15, 2007 at 13:07 Quote
apple-tree wrote:

What???

If you have an extremely bad landing then you might jar your wrists and they might sting for about 5 minutes, you soon get used to it and im sure your muscles develop so it doesnt hurt if you land bad.

The upside to rigids is you soon learn to be much smoother thus making not only your park riding smoother but every aspect of your bike riding smoother including mtb. You also have to be more accurate with your landings thus making you a better rider.

Your argument has nothing going for it apart from if your a lazy rider and cant be bothered landing smoothly then use sus. IMO sus is a complete waste of time for dirt and park unless you are one of the lazy riders like the guy above.

Posted: Nov 15, 2007 at 13:09 Quote
if you are looking for a good deal on bmx bikes go to www.danscomp.com

Posted: Nov 15, 2007 at 13:16 Quote
davidtaylforth wrote:
apple-tree wrote:

What???

If you have an extremely bad landing then you might jar your wrists and they might sting for about 5 minutes, you soon get used to it and im sure your muscles develop so it doesnt hurt if you land bad.

The upside to rigids is you soon learn to be much smoother thus making not only your park riding smoother but every aspect of your bike riding smoother including mtb. You also have to be more accurate with your landings thus making you a better rider.

Your argument has nothing going for it apart from if your a lazy rider and cant be bothered landing smoothly then use sus. IMO sus is a complete waste of time for dirt and park unless you are one of the lazy riders like the guy above.

im not lazy, i just get made fun of for riding my rigid's :\

Posted: Nov 15, 2007 at 13:20 Quote
apple-tree wrote:
davidtaylforth wrote:
apple-tree wrote:

What???

im not lazy, i just get made fun of for riding my rigid's :\

Haha why? Ride what you want to, although its difficult not to succumb to peer pressure

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.016874
Mobile Version of Website