PINKBIKE BUY/SELL: The Ultimate Guide to Success

PB Forum :: Scams & Stolen Bikes
PINKBIKE BUY/SELL: The Ultimate Guide to Success
FL
Posted: Jun 12, 2016 at 20:54 Quote
erikwyattatmedotcom wrote:
won-sean-animal-chin wrote:

Sent them an email and no response. I originally sent them a msg on their buy n sell ad for the Michelin tires so I sent them a couple more messages with my order number. I can see that they checked the message but no response there either. I have paid by PayPal . They haven't taken the money yet but I've confirmed the transaction. In less than the time when I first put in the order I've bought and received 2 chan reaction orders. Maybe Trump has put up a wall between north Vancouver and revelstoke

just checked my paypal account. he took the money out may 18. he hasn't responded to numerous emails or messages. his ads are still up with the link to his online site on his pinkbike homepage.. Anyone know if there is still pinkbike moderators following these possible scammers?

Might have to man up and call them. They have what appears to be a mostly legit business.

ya found their phone number today. their site looks legit although limited items

FL
Posted: Jun 13, 2016 at 17:41 Quote
erikwyattatmedotcom wrote:

just checked my paypal account. he took the money out may 18. he hasn't responded to numerous emails or messages. his ads are still up with the link to his online site on his pinkbike homepage.. Anyone know if there is still pinkbike moderators following these possible scammers?

Might have to man up and call them. They have what appears to be a mostly legit business.

ya found their phone number today. their site looks legit although limited items

Phoned the number from the PayPal payment info. Dude says at first I have the wrong number. I questioned him on it. I said are you sure this isn't "bikepartdeals" ? And that I got the number from my PayPal account. Then he changes his tune and says he knows those guys and didn't know why "they" used "his" number. I asked the operators names and he said Paul McGinnis and Dan(said he didn't know last name) . So I asked his name. He stuttered and stammered then answered Jeff and he'll contact "them" and get them to get back to me. What a moron. Shortly after that he checked his inbox for the message I sent yesterday. If that isn't the definition of a scammer , I don't know what is

Posted: Jul 26, 2016 at 17:46 Quote
Sold bike here for 750 though paypal. Guy claimed the fork was broken, brakes and crank. I agreed to a return so the guy wouldn't actually brake the parts..anyways he threw the bike and parts in a box with no padding and shipped it. Well it scratched up fork and carbon frame making it worth hundreds less. Paypal refused to uphold their "ship back in condition it was received" policy in my two appeals since they say "he claimed it was already damaged." On the phone I asked if it was a 5 dollar part damaged would you come to the same conclusion? "Yes." There is no way to prevent this from happening, I did everything by the book but in the end anyone can claim anything and screw you over. Anyone have a way to prevent this from happening to other users here who could likely be in the same situation as me?

Posted: Jul 26, 2016 at 17:48 Quote
harm0n20 wrote:
So I sold and shipped my bike to a guy in Ukraine and he just messaged me saying that the top tube was damaged but the packing material was not. Is this a known way of scamming somehow? It was a brand new front triangle that had maybe three rides on it and I went over the thing with a toothbrush! There was no way it was damaged when I shipped it!! I used plenty of foam and packing material to protect the frame in particular when boxing it up. THERE WAS NO EFFING DAMAGE!!!!!

Happened to me its a easy way for a buyer to backout of the sale.

Posted: Sep 2, 2016 at 19:21 Quote
Does anyone know how to find a sellers phone number

Posted: Jan 6, 2019 at 19:07 Quote
Ajarm19 wrote:
Does anyone know how to find a sellers phone number

Should be listed in the info at the top of the ad

Posted: Jan 6, 2019 at 22:36 Quote
Gregorysmithj1 wrote:
Sold bike here for 750 though paypal. Guy claimed the fork was broken, brakes and crank. I agreed to a return so the guy wouldn't actually brake the parts..anyways he threw the bike and parts in a box with no padding and shipped it. Well it scratched up fork and carbon frame making it worth hundreds less. Paypal refused to uphold their "ship back in condition it was received" policy in my two appeals since they say "he claimed it was already damaged." On the phone I asked if it was a 5 dollar part damaged would you come to the same conclusion? "Yes." There is no way to prevent this from happening, I did everything by the book but in the end anyone can claim anything and screw you over. Anyone have a way to prevent this from happening to other users here who could likely be in the same situation as me?

This is why it's so Important to get Detailed pic's of the bike, before shipping, and send them to the buyer, showing if there is any damage. People will try to scam to get a partial refund, and keep the item, or get a complete refund, and never return the item. Also a good idea on spendy parts, i.e. a bike, ect..to take out Insurance on it, that way if the buyer says it's damaged, but the pic's show otherwise, make the buyer file a claim..they usually think twice before doing so.

Posted: Feb 5, 2019 at 4:44 Quote
Has anyone used Venmo for a transaction? It seems like they’d have a similar policy as PayPal and my seller is requesting it.

O+
Posted: Oct 20, 2019 at 7:38 Quote
I haven't seen anything mentioned about in-person cash transactions. I have a carbon road bike that I'd like to sell but I'm super paranoid about selling it on Craigslist, so that's why I'm going to post it here. However, I've never done this before, and I'm afraid of the person taking it for a spin and never coming back. So what can I do to prevent this? Obvious thing that comes to mind is to hold on to their money, but is that something that is usually done?

O+
Posted: Oct 20, 2019 at 8:10 Quote
bicla wrote:
I haven't seen anything mentioned about in-person cash transactions. I have a carbon road bike that I'd like to sell but I'm super paranoid about selling it on Craigslist, so that's why I'm going to post it here. However, I've never done this before, and I'm afraid of the person taking it for a spin and never coming back. So what can I do to prevent this? Obvious thing that comes to mind is to hold on to their money, but is that something that is usually done?

I have sold a couple of bikes on Kijiji and one on Pinkbike and have purchased a few as well.
Vet your replies carefully to try to weed out the tire kickers and scammers.
Ask for a cell phone number to communicate with them right up front. (Not fool proof but does weed out some)
Try to sell locally in face to face transactions. I purchased a bike after going to my bank branch with the seller to get a bank draft and went with him to his bank to deposit it.
Took the bike home after that.
If inviting a seller to your location, have the bike out of the garage/house on a bike stand if you have one. Keep the doors to the house and garage closed as to not invite inspection of your belongings inside. Have a few tools out with you so you can adjust the seat post for them.
Take a snap shot of their vehicle and plate with your phone. If you have security cameras set up the place where the bike will be inspected in front of a camera.
If the buyer shows up with a "friend" who has driven them to the point of sale, they will both likely disappear during a test ride.
If they are willing to fork over the cash before riding the bike, make sure they understand that if they damage or crash the bike, the cash is yours and the bike is theirs.
Edit: Make sure that if it is a cash deal that the serial numbers on the bills are not all the same! Wink

Posted: Oct 20, 2019 at 13:52 Quote
bicla wrote:

Meet in a crowed public place, or at least where there are lots of people around. If you selling for a good amount, which I'm guessing you are, check the cash, every bill, if there's a stack of them. Also get to the meeting place a bit early, and watch for the buyer to pull up, if he/she is alone, that's a good sign, if there are 2 or more, I'd be kind of leary, but not put off. What I would do is when the bike is being test ridden, stand by the buyers driver side door, just in case. Try to keep an eye on the bike if possible while it's being tested.

This all my sound like paranoia but it cuts down the odds of something bad happening. Usually you can tell if the buyer is a decent person, and has knowledge of bikes as to being a serious buyer. One last thing, if the buyer seems a bit nervous I would not let the bike out of my sight. Good luck with your sale.

Mod O+
Posted: Oct 20, 2019 at 15:02 Quote
bicla wrote:

Ask for their car keys and or their drivers license before they test ride the bike. Any serious buyer would and should have no issue doing this. Even bike shops ask for a license or car keys before allowing someone to take the bike for a test spin.

O+
Posted: Oct 20, 2019 at 17:34 Quote
markholloway wrote:
Ask for their car keys and or their drivers license before they test ride the bike. Any serious buyer would and should have no issue doing this. Even bike shops ask for a license or car keys before allowing someone to take the bike for a test spin.

This is very insightful. Thanks for the previous tips as well. So basically I'll do one of two things: either hold on to their driver's license + keys, or hold on to their money with the stipulation that if they break it, they buy it.

I sold a car on Craigslist for cash before, and it went super smoothly because I took some precautions, but the buyers were also 100% legit.

Posted: Dec 15, 2020 at 18:15 Quote
Hello new to this buy and sell thing on PB and i actually want to do both buy and sell i meen but most of the items i'm intrested in buying are from a differend country so face to face is imposible can anyone tell me for sure if COD is an option? Has anyone sold or bought to or from a differend country if so what was your experience? Thanks

Posted: Jan 16, 2021 at 10:49 Quote
I'm in the UK, bought from a guy in Germany who spoke good English (most do).

Had no problems, got what I wanted from him, rare parts too, unless you face a language barrier, I wouldn't let buying from another country put you off buying from another member on here, or even selling to another country, include insurance for a total loss, just remember to use PayPal!

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.024739
Mobile Version of Website