Powered by Outside

Will a lake jump hurt my blk mrkt 357?

PB Forum :: Dirt Jumping & Street
Will a lake jump hurt my blk mrkt 357?
Posted: Mar 1, 2010 at 15:02 Quote
haha no probs bud i get carried away arguing my point sometimes Salute
more air in the tires in practice wont realy make that much diference in the time it takes to sink it just wont help it float better either

Posted: Mar 1, 2010 at 18:35 Quote
Making the air pressure in the tire high enough to create a relevant buoyancy decrease would explode your tires.

Posted: Mar 1, 2010 at 19:18 Quote
Yes.. if you dont dry and relube everything afterwards.
No.. if you DO dry and relube it after.

Either way dont bother, get a cheap department store bike, wrench on it to make it more rideable and practice with it.

As a side note if you're dock jumping to try new tricks, do yourself a favor and really try to land them as if you're still on ramps or dirt. Dont get the "foam pit syndrome" where you get lazy and throw the bike half way into the jump, you'll never really learn anything doing it this way.

Posted: Mar 1, 2010 at 19:21 Quote
Harparo wrote:
Making the air pressure in the tire high enough to create a relevant buoyancy decrease would explode your tires.

that's true, but from a fundamental standpoint, increasing air pressure in tires decreases buoyancy marginally as it may be, it still happens

Posted: Mar 2, 2010 at 2:58 Quote
mike-smith wrote:
freeride-idiot wrote:
so you think air is weightless then ?? i think i must explain in laymens terms for you example at work we order a bottle of gas presurised gas in a bottle is bought by the litre or by the kilogram as is marked on the bottle if you get an empty bottle and a full bottle then try to pick them up you will very quickly learn that air does weigh somthing
you will also find that when you take a breath the air in your lungs is at atmospheric pressure not 30-60psi like a bike tire
unless you run at a higher psi than everybody else lol are pressurised
wow a degree in mechanical/electrical and aeronautical degrees that must have taken some time to study for in 3 vastly different areas this must have taken oooh 20 years??
i would expect especialy with an aeronautical degree you of all people should know that air definatly does weigh somthing?

My point is that you said that if you increase the pressure in your tyres it would make a bike significantly heavier and therefore sink just as fast? an increase in pressure would increase the mass of air which would aid bouyancy.

and i said qualifications, not degrees. I have a basic to adequate understanding of what im talking about, otherwise i wouldnt have bothered.
Also, we do not have to know about weight of air in the aeronautical subject, just the density

Increase the pressure and the surface area then yes the floatation would be increased,but increase the pressure as freeride idiot pointed out in a confined space and the weight would increase as the gas is forced into a liquid.

Posted: Mar 2, 2010 at 16:57 Quote
After all of that what I'd really like to know is: Where, at this time of the year, in South Dakota can you find a lake that's warm enough to avoid hypothermia?

Posted: Mar 2, 2010 at 18:26 Quote
In short: yes.

The real question is:

Is it worth your time and money to constantly service your bike for the sake of doing lake jumps?

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.011934
Mobile Version of Website