Powered by Outside

Newmarket (And surrounding area)

PB Forum :: Canada - East
Newmarket (And surrounding area)
Posted: Apr 14, 2010 at 16:45 Quote
Ahhhhhh, crap, totally should have read this earlier, would have come out. I'm gonna go for a ride tomorrow afternoon and see how everything is. Maybe do some planning.

Canadmos wrote:
Today we found a new spot along an old trail for a killer skinny log ride section......It is going to be awesome.

Where abouts is this? There's a large tree trunk down diagonally across part of a trail that has been chainsawed to let you through. I was gonna shave down the top of that to make a log ride with an up/down ramp. Is that the same one you are talking about or somewhere else. This ones on a trail that runs paralel to the creek in the north-east part of the forest. I'll try to take a pic tomorrow if I remember to bring the cam.

O+ FL
Posted: Apr 14, 2010 at 17:29 Quote
To be honest, I'm not sure how to describe where this log ride is haha. It is along the trail that has not been cleared off or maintained in a while. It is a fair sized tree that fell in between two other trees and is elevated a bit.

Speaking of that unused trail, a friend and myself are going to work on opening that back up and make it nice and fresh. It might take a while though, as two bridges will need to be made (we already started one, just need to put it together). Once that is completed, the trail will be a complete figure eight and will be much more fun to ride on a regular basis.

Keep an eye out for turkeys. I smashed into one ripping down a hill today. It scared the shit out of me. Redface

And last note of the day. The only sloppy part of the trails now, is the super twisty section way in the back near Bathurst. Other than back there, the rest of the trails are super tacky. The ground isn't dry yet, but it is firm and offers more grip than you'll ever need. I'm praying that the weather stays nice like this with little rain.....

Posted: Apr 14, 2010 at 17:41 Quote
Ah, I think I know the tree you mean, different place.

How's the Turkey?:P

O+ FL
Posted: Apr 19, 2010 at 18:43 Quote
Today was pretty cool on the trail. I came across at least 5 people on bikes and saw two others off in the distance. I also to spoke to some random guy in the park parking lot about the trails.

It also looks like someone tried to move one of the bridges, so it is a little wiggly right now (just a caution as it is kind of unstable at one end). I forget which bridge it is, but you'll be able to see it as soon as you get close to it. I'm going to anchor it down a bit better this weekend.

Posted: Apr 19, 2010 at 19:00 Quote
Went for a ride through today. The trails are in awesome shape. I ran into someone who said they posted on here and had drawn up a map of the area. Any chance you can post it here?

I'll be out there tomorrow clearing trees and raking out the section of trail west of the creek and north of the farmer's field. Does anyone know what the plan for the trail that goes left and up the hill was? It just sort of fades away near the top of the hill. Looks like a great spot for building.

If all goes well I'll try to cobble together a bridge or two to access that section. The dude I ran into already set up two logs at one crossing. Come by and say hi/help out. I'll have beers, tools, and my camera if you feel like being a famous internet biker. Name's Mark.

O+ FL
Posted: Apr 20, 2010 at 4:48 Quote
Hey Mark, I'm the one you bumped into last night. I think you also bumped into a friend and myself a few weeks ago. Cleaning that older trail sounds awesome. If we can get that trail fixed up and in good shape then the trails will be a complete circle.

I'm also not sure what that trail is that goes up the hill and just sort of fades away. Its pretty easy to miss the turn on that trail and end up going the wrong way, only to find out its a dead end haha..

Posted: Apr 20, 2010 at 18:21 Quote
Havn't been out much these days, been sick and busy with work/weddings etc... Did a quick ride thurs last week, ( shouldn't have, was way too sick ) trails were in pretty good shape, just a little soft down in the southwest lowlands.

I wont be available much for trail building this year till July after some personal commitments are over but am always willing to lend a hand, swing an axe, build a bridge etc.

There's always seems to be some confusion though as to where everyone is talking about, we really do need to come up with some kind of solid maping system or concensus on what is where.

O+ FL
Posted: Apr 20, 2010 at 19:17 Quote
I have an okay map made. I'm not sure if its a good idea to post it in here, but I'll definitely send a message to you with it.

No worries on the building front, as long as you get to ride at some point. Beer

Posted: Apr 21, 2010 at 15:20 Quote
Was out at Ravenshoe today, great fun out there, always. Also got me excited to finish some trails around here...

Anybody down to head out tomorrow? I've never been out to these trails and I'm not really sure where to access them

O+ FL
Posted: Apr 21, 2010 at 15:31 Quote
I'll definitely be riding tommorow night at about 5:30. I'll be riding all over, so I'm sure you'll spot me at some point. I'm the crappy rider wearing the grey long sleeve Fox jersey.

i'll send ya a link to the map too in a minute...

O+
Posted: Apr 22, 2010 at 12:16 Quote
Just came across this thread, I browsed through the previous pages but I couldn't find where on Bathurst this trail is located. I usually go to Jokers hill but there aren't any interesting features you guys are talking about there.

O+ FL
Posted: Apr 22, 2010 at 12:30 Quote
Where is Jokers Hill?

Posted: Apr 22, 2010 at 13:28 Quote
Well I'll be heading out there in about an hour. hopefully I'll find my way in off of woodspring?!

Trevor

Posted: Apr 22, 2010 at 14:05 Quote
any secret to finding the entrance. I was lookin on google street view, I'm guessing the entrance is somewhere around where that forest picks up, behind the guardrail, but I can't really see an entrance in.

Im heading out in like 10 minutes, just lookin for some pointers so I don't miss it.

Trevor

O+
Posted: Apr 22, 2010 at 14:13 Quote
Canadmos wrote:
Where is Jokers Hill?
It's like 200m before highway 9, Off of Bathurst. Pretty crappy trail but it's thew only one I know of thats close.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.026624
Mobile Version of Website