Pinkbike will be undergoing scheduled maintenance on May 29 at 9pm PST for up to 6 hours. We apologize for any inconvenience caused during this time.
Powered by Outside

does anybody else know the truth about global warming

PB Forum :: Social / Political Issues
does anybody else know the truth about global warming
Posted: Jun 28, 2019 at 17:47 Quote
Matt115lamb wrote:
Well if your right but we still try to make the planet a cleaner and healthier place , then we’re all winners ..........apart from the big oil and coal corps ! Oh well !!

Sure. But a protracted political battle for profit is not helping anyone EXCEPT the energy industry. Our current "climate alarmists vs climate deniers" battle is just the green tech industry and fossil fuel industry fighting over our money...which is why the focus is on the fight - i.e. "we gotta convince 'em we're right!" when in reality, convincing is not what's needed. Spending less money on things and more money on preparing for and adapting to our inevitable future is what's needed.

So the real solution is to stop buying things, and stop arguing over stuff that doesn't matter.

Posted: Jun 28, 2019 at 20:28 Quote
Says the worlds biggest consumer , I’m gunna copy this chat and safe it for 30 years !

Posted: Jun 29, 2019 at 12:39 Quote
TheRaven wrote:
his has also been debunked, ironically enough by the alarmist site that created the 97% fallacy:

He makes many of the same errors that contrarian critics make: ignoring the papers self-rated by the original authors; and making unwarranted assumptions about what the “no-position” abstracts and papers mean.

There's a bit of a problem with that debunking for you, my guy: The methodology that Andy Skuce uses to debunk the 99.9% consensus claim made by James Powell yields a consensus north of 98%, which is still greater than the original 97% claim. So if you want to find a debunking of overwhelming consensus among the scientific commuity that supports your position – ie. that the consensus doesn't exist – you're going to have to find another way to do it.

TheRaven wrote:
The reality, that anyone educated in a scientific field instantly recognizes, is that it's absolutely impossible to get 97%, or 99% of scientists in ANY field, to agree on ANYTHING. It just doesn't happen.

Plate tectonics, atomic theory, evolutionary theory, Big Bang theory.

Posted: Jul 1, 2019 at 5:54 Quote
harriieee wrote:
There's a bit of a problem with that debunking for you, my guy: The methodology that Andy Skuce uses to debunk the 99.9% consensus claim made by James Powell yields a consensus north of 98%, which is still greater than the original 97% claim. So if you want to find a debunking of overwhelming consensus among the scientific commuity that supports your position – ie. that the consensus doesn't exist – you're going to have to find another way to do it.

Still intent on beating the dead horse eh? This is why I compared you guys to flat-earthers. There is no convincing you.

I don't have to debunk anything, it's already been done. The 97% number was based on 77 researchers (NOT all "climate scientists") who actually explicitly stated their position. The remaining 10k either did not agree to volunteer their research, or did not state a position. Hundreds actually responded to the 97% claim by stating they explicitly DID NOT AGREE. All these other numbers you have been throwing out there - the 99.84%, and the 98%...etc...are all derivatives from that same sample. All of this is covered in the links I already provided, and can be further verified with a simple google search.

This is so old it's museum material at this point, and i'm not going to address it again.

AGAIN I WILL RE-STATE - I AM NOT DEBATING WHETHER OR NOT HUMANS HAVE AN EFFECT ON THE EARTH'S CLIMATE OR THAT WE MAY BE CONTRIBUTING TO WARMING. I AM ADDRESSING ONLY THE CLAIM THAT THERE IS SOME KIND OF CONSENSUS ON THE IDEA THAT WE ARE THE PRIMARY CAUSE AND HAVE DIRECT CONTROL OVER IT.

TheRaven wrote:
Plate tectonics, atomic theory, evolutionary theory, Big Bang theory.

Also no. We understand even less about many of these topics than we do about climate change.

Posted: Jul 1, 2019 at 5:59 Quote
Matt115lamb wrote:
Says the worlds biggest consumer , I’m gunna copy this chat and safe it for 30 years !

Hey I make no excuses for the citizens of my country. I can only control the choices I make, and how I influence others, and I do the best I reasonably can. I type this on a 9-year-old computer that will be replaced only when it dies...same with my 10-year-old truck...I only buy used vehicles and electronics, and do the same anywhere else it's possible to do. None of this is going to "fix" the climate, but it does offer a positive example, and IF we actually hope to reduce our effect on the planet we depend on, whatever that effect may be, reduction in consumption is the only way it's going to happen.

Posted: Jul 7, 2019 at 15:50 Quote
I'll just leave this here.

Views: 2,998    Faves: 9    Comments: 2

we need to plant more trees

lots and lots more.

Posted: Aug 25, 2019 at 5:09 Quote
I recommend to read this book to everyone, regardless of their view of the mater at hand:
https://www.amazon.com/Climate-Crash-Abrupt-Change-Future/dp/0309093120

If this doesn't make you shit your pants: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xHziSe96UHY

Great filter is coming...

Posted: Aug 25, 2019 at 5:33 Quote
Nervozza wrote:
I recommend to read this book to everyone, regardless of their view of the mater at hand:
https://www.amazon.com/Climate-Crash-Abrupt-Change-Future/dp/0309093120

If this doesn't make you shit your pants: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xHziSe96UHY

Great filter is coming...

Posted: Aug 25, 2019 at 10:53 Quote
We’re (all) doomed !

Posted: Sep 22, 2021 at 10:13 Quote
The globe warms and it cools. The center of earth is pretty hot.
Human involvement has proven minuscule.
I test power plants for nox; co; nh3; voc's
...they pass all day every day.

Posted: Sep 22, 2021 at 10:21 Quote
jrocksdh wrote:
The globe warms and it cools. The center of earth is pretty hot.
Human involvement has proven minuscule.
I test power plants for nox; co; nh3; voc's
...they pass all day every day.
Sorry matey but it’s been proven without doubt it is the major factor in climate change ! You guys shout the loudest but are full of hot air , pardon the pun !

Posted: Sep 22, 2021 at 12:38 Quote
Matt115lamb wrote:
Sorry matey but it’s been proven without doubt it is the major factor in climate change !

You gotta be kidding me dude. This claim was debunked literally 7 posts ago! And you were part of the conversation!

Posted: Sep 22, 2021 at 13:30 Quote
iffy wrote:
I'll just leave this here.

Views: 2,998    Faves: 9    Comments: 2

we need to plant more trees

lots and lots more.

Keep on trucking!

O+
Posted: Oct 14, 2021 at 15:47 Quote
TheRaven wrote:
Matt115lamb wrote:
Sorry matey but it’s been proven without doubt it is the major factor in climate change !

You gotta be kidding me dude. This claim was debunked literally 7 posts ago! And you were part of the conversation!

Forgive him he is slow and doesn’t catch on fast..

Posted: Oct 14, 2021 at 23:18 Quote
krumpdancer101 wrote:
TheRaven wrote:
Matt115lamb wrote:

Forgive him he is slow and doesn’t catch on fast..
ouch ….that was a low blow !

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.015167
Mobile Version of Website