Powered by Outside

Banshee Wildcard

PB Forum :: Bikes, Parts, and Gear
Banshee Wildcard
O+
Posted: Nov 24, 2012 at 20:33 Quote
traildigger94 wrote:
DJRYNO4LIFE wrote:
Hay guys sorry for the dumb question but What size shock does the wildcard fit, i know that 5" is 7.875x2.25 but whats the 6.5" shock size?

Facepalm the same but in the 6 inch setting (on the swing arm there is 2 holes the end one is the 5 inch setting and the one closest to the middle is the 6.5 inch setting
but doesnt it need a diffrent size shock... so seeing as id have a 7.875x2.25 shock how does it all of a sudden gain a inch and a half from just changing the hole..

Posted: Nov 24, 2012 at 21:44 Quote
DJRYNO4LIFE wrote:
traildigger94 wrote:
DJRYNO4LIFE wrote:
Hay guys sorry for the dumb question but What size shock does the wildcard fit, i know that 5" is 7.875x2.25 but whats the 6.5" shock size?

Facepalm the same but in the 6 inch setting (on the swing arm there is 2 holes the end one is the 5 inch setting and the one closest to the middle is the 6.5 inch setting
but doesnt it need a diffrent size shock... so seeing as id have a 7.875x2.25 shock how does it all of a sudden gain a inch and a half from just changing the hole..
Facepalm

O+
Posted: Nov 24, 2012 at 22:23 Quote
nato wrote:
DJRYNO4LIFE wrote:
traildigger94 wrote:

Facepalm
Wouldnt it need like a 8.5x2.5 shock to run more travle....Somebody please explain this to me....ive been mindf*cked!Blank Stare

Posted: Nov 25, 2012 at 0:06 Quote
Few things that I think your misunderstanding. The rear travel isn't by the shock size, but the suspension design and how far the wheel moves from being fully extended. By changing the mounting holes on the shock, its like giving it a similar, but still slightly different suspension design so that the shock bottoms at 5" instead of 6.5". Just an example to help you understand better, say there are 2 bike that have a 3" stroke and 9.5" i2i shock, one could get 180mm travel like the scott voltage fr and the other 200mm travel like the morewood makula, with the exact same shock, it's all a matter of design and how much rear wheel movement there is before the shock is bottomed.

O+
Posted: Nov 25, 2012 at 0:16 Quote
Straner wrote:
Few things that I think your misunderstanding. The rear travel isn't by the shock size, but the suspension design and how far the wheel moves from being fully extended. By changing the mounting holes on the shock, its like giving it a similar, but still slightly different suspension design so that the shock bottoms at 5" instead of 6.5". Just an example to help you understand better, say there are 2 bike that have a 3" stroke and 9.5" i2i shock, one could get 180mm travel like the scott voltage fr and the other 200mm travel like the morewood makula, with the exact same shock, it's all a matter of design and how much rear wheel movement there is before the shock is bottomed.
That makes alot more sense now thanks for your helpBeer

Posted: Jan 13, 2013 at 22:29 Quote
I am getting a wildcard frame to replace my dirtbag. Super stoked. both 2009 models. Im going to be moving all the parts from my dirtbag to the wildcard. I have a domain 318 180mm on right now but I am looking to upgrade. Should I get a travel adjust fork with 160mm and 135mm,170mm lyrik or another 180mm fork? I like the idea of the travel adjust for more efficient pedaling and a more dedicated slope bike in the small travel setting but I also like the idea of the larger travel fork. I want a bike thats a jack of all trades that can pedal, be an am/fr bike and be a slope bike when it needs to be. Im leaning towards the travel adjust fork but Id like to hear some input on it or hear from people with experiance with different fork travels on the wildcard.

Posted: Jan 14, 2013 at 3:04 Quote
I can nothing but recommend going with Travel-Adjust on the Wildcard!
I don´t do any Type of Slopestyle on my Wildcard. Instead I´m using it as my Do-it-All-Bike, and with adjustable Travel in the Rear and a Lyrik U-Turn-Coil (115-160 mm), or anything else in that Travelrange, you will get the best out of the Wildcard for sure. Additionally I went with a -1,5 Deg Angleset for more Downhill-Shreddability - great Combination over all.
For Allday-Rides I turn down Travel mostly to 140 mm up Front and the small Travel in the Rear. For Parkdays the Fork gets it´s full Travel, the Rear mostly was left in the short Travel, to be honest, because the Geometry feels better overall.
From my personal Perspective I never felt I needed more than a 160 mm Travel-Fork on the Wildcard. Go with 170 mm and an Angleset, if you like. 180 mm maximum Travel is kind of personal Preference - would be too much for my liking ...

Posted: Jan 14, 2013 at 6:45 Quote
nostyle wrote:
I can nothing but recommend going with Travel-Adjust on the Wildcard!
I don´t do any Type of Slopestyle on my Wildcard. Instead I´m using it as my Do-it-All-Bike, and with adjustable Travel in the Rear and a Lyrik U-Turn-Coil (115-160 mm), or anything else in that Travelrange, you will get the best out of the Wildcard for sure. Additionally I went with a -1,5 Deg Angleset for more Downhill-Shreddability - great Combination over all.
For Allday-Rides I turn down Travel mostly to 140 mm up Front and the small Travel in the Rear. For Parkdays the Fork gets it´s full Travel, the Rear mostly was left in the short Travel, to be honest, because the Geometry feels better overall.
From my personal Perspective I never felt I needed more than a 160 mm Travel-Fork on the Wildcard. Go with 170 mm and an Angleset, if you like. 180 mm maximum Travel is kind of personal Preference - would be too much for my liking ...
All true BUT i loved my Wildcard with a 180 mm fork.
Mini DH bike it was.
Currently have a Domain U turn fork but I leave at full travel all the time.
Always leave the rear at 5" too. feels right.

Posted: Jan 14, 2013 at 19:47 Quote
Ok so I bought a 2009 banshee wildcard today. Stoked!! got a great deal. 380 without a shock. Thats where my problem comes in. I need to move my dhx 5.0 coil to the wildcard from my dirtbag and the spacing is off on the upper link. Where can I get the propper spacers/mounting hardware to make this work.

Posted: Jan 14, 2013 at 21:26 Quote
If you can't source em out from a shock manufacturer then any machine shop should be able to custom make some up if you give them the measurements. Probably be at least $50 if not more to make them custom, as shop rate is $80+per hour in my experiences.......Salute

Posted: Jan 14, 2013 at 22:01 Quote
Any shop will have them or can get them in they aren't to expensive from what I remember. Getting the right ones will save you a lot of hassle rather than a mechean shop because if its off by the littlest it will wear and wear away at its self and become a problem (been there done that)

Posted: Jan 14, 2013 at 22:04 Quote
traildigger94 wrote:
Any shop will have them or can get them in they aren't to expensive from what I remember. Getting the right ones will save you a lot of hassle rather than a mechean shop because if its off by the littlest it will wear and wear away at its self and become a problem (been there done that)

Ya thats what I thought. Ill take it by the shop tomorrow and see if I can get them. Then the build will begin! Cant wait to ride this thing.

Posted: Jan 14, 2013 at 22:09 Quote
Nice, congrats on the new stead

Posted: Feb 28, 2013 at 22:26 Quote
The build for the banshee wildcard. Should have a pretty sick do it all bike once its all finished. Bored so I uploaded this.

Almost all the parts needed for the build. Just need to acquire my new fork then I can start. Cant wait to ride it! Going to be heavy though. Oh well...

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.012336
Mobile Version of Website