Powered by Outside

Post Your Specialized SX

PB Forum :: Post Your Ride
Post Your Specialized SX
Posted: Feb 1, 2021 at 13:31 Quote
Waited a couple weeks and found a decent Fox Float X2 within specs for the SX. Doesn't come with any hardware, which is to be expected. Are there any recommendations for hardware? Anything special I need to consider with the bike yoke? Both the Yoke and shock should be here in a couple of days.

Posted: Feb 5, 2021 at 17:09 Quote
So yes, the BikeYoke components come with everything needed to bold up the shock on the Yoke side. You will need to press in bushings for it, a vise with soft jaws and some various socket sizes made the job pretty painless. I reused my old hardware for the front, although the shock did come with some delrin style split bushing, I worked those out, pressed out the old steel bushing from the coil shock, and pressed it in the X2. Again, rather painless. Haven't gotten a chance to ride it yet. I put 250lb of air pressure and went with the Fox recommend settings on the HS,LS compression and rebound. I'll play with these a bit at the skills park.

The old coil shock has some oil slipping past the internal seals. I noticed some wet areas that were dusty on the underside of it. Stands to reason after 10 years of use and me being 210lbs.

Fox Float X2 7.875 x 2.0 2009 Spesh SX Trail

Next up is a wheel build. I have a Chris King front hub and I am debating trying out some cheap Carbon rims from China. Hookless 40mm. The rear hub I still have yet to find. I would like to match with a Chris King rear, but the 135mm axle makes using an XD driver a bit of a chore. So maybe a HOPE 4 or something along those lines would be better suited?

Posted: Feb 7, 2021 at 9:38 Quote
good to see your sxt is growing nicely Smile

one of my best friends build a wheelset for his sx trail on hope pro4 hubs and light bicycle carbon rims.. he was pretty amazed about the quality and price of the rims and would recommend them over any expensive enve rims ... maybe this is something for you?

i'm still oldschoolin with my ex471 rims .. Big Grin

Posted: Feb 7, 2021 at 19:47 Quote
where did you buy it?
09SXtrail wrote:
So yes, the BikeYoke components come with everything needed to bold up the shock on the Yoke side. You will need to press in bushings for it, a vise with soft jaws and some various socket sizes made the job pretty painless. I reused my old hardware for the front, although the shock did come with some delrin style split bushing, I worked those out, pressed out the old steel bushing from the coil shock, and pressed it in the X2. Again, rather painless. Haven't gotten a chance to ride it yet. I put 250lb of air pressure and went with the Fox recommend settings on the HS,LS compression and rebound. I'll play with these a bit at the skills park.

The old coil shock has some oil slipping past the internal seals. I noticed some wet areas that were dusty on the underside of it. Stands to reason after 10 years of use and me being 210lbs.

Next up is a wheel build. I have a Chris King front hub and I am debating trying out some cheap Carbon rims from China. Hookless 40mm. The rear hub I still have yet to find. I would like to match with a Chris King rear, but the 135mm axle makes using an XD driver a bit of a chore. So maybe a HOPE 4 or something along those lines would be better suited?

Posted: Feb 8, 2021 at 7:29 Quote
suechtiger wrote:
one of my best friends build a wheelset for his sx trail on hope pro4 hubs and light bicycle carbon rims.. he was pretty amazed about the quality and price of the rims and would recommend them over any expensive enve rims ... maybe this is something for you?

i'm still oldschoolin with my ex471 rims .. Big Grin

Thanks for all your help and input man. Do you happen to know what company he used for his rims? Nextie was the brand I was looking at. As with most of these Chinese brands, it's not usually the quality of the parts but the quality control. Some of the items I have gotten have been great and others, even with great reviews, have been trash. I feel like bike culture in Europe is more about DIY, where as the US tends to use local bike shops for everything.

Your build is easily the nicest build. I am using this bike more as an excuse to educate myself. It has some "modern standards" with things like tapered head tube and one piece seat post linkage, but it's oldschool with ISCG, 135mm rear axle spacing, and short top tube length with modest 66 degree headtube. Not to mention the slack seat tube. Part of me wants to run internal cabling. Disassemble the frame and use my buddies Mill to make cuts for the tubes. I think there is enough material to accommodate that without compromising the frames integrity.

andreDHlive wrote:
Where did you get it?

I used Suechtiger's suggestion. I found it a few other places but he linked the best price considering the conversion rate. I think it was like $130 at the time I purchased. So not exactly cheap, but it's a quality piece. It will add a few grams over the factory Aluminum components.

Here is the link

Posted: Feb 13, 2021 at 19:44 Quote
Thanx... so there is no place to get it in the States

Posted: Feb 14, 2021 at 8:43 Quote
andreDHlive wrote:
Thanx... so there is no place to get it in the States

I think I found one and it was about $50 more, before shipping. I feel like Europe is to bicycles what America is to cars.

Posted: Feb 17, 2021 at 2:08 Quote
did any one put a coil shock in a SX frame ( the slope style version with 100mm of travel) ?????

I know I need a bike yoke to fit it but what shox will clear the frame

I'm using my as a small trial frame, the sx trail would be just too much for my local trails

here is how it looks now
my Specialized SX and my friends Specialized Big Hit I . . oldschool bikes in red

Posted: Feb 17, 2021 at 9:47 Quote
na buddy.. there is no bikeyoke for the sx slope and i dont think the ones from the sx trail will fit.. even if they would fit, you wont find a coil shock for that small lenght :/

i would suggest to upgrade that old fox rp23 with a newer fox float dps in the same length as your rp23 (should be 165mm?!) ...

i really need to get a sx slope for my little son, that might be a bike for a lifetime and a lot of options to use Smile

Posted: Feb 17, 2021 at 10:02 Quote
suechtiger wrote:
na buddy.. there is no bikeyoke for the sx slope and i dont think the ones from the sx trail will fit.. even if they would fit, you wont find a coil shock for that small lenght :/

i would suggest to upgrade that old fox rp23 with a newer fox float dps in the same length as your rp23 (should be 165mm?!) ...

i really need to get a sx slope for my little son, that might be a bike for a lifetime and a lot of options to use Smile

sx slope has a 190x50 shock so getting a coil isn't so difficult - bomber CR, ohlins, cane creak

I updated my air shock to a fox float ctd

Posted: Feb 17, 2021 at 11:30 Quote
oh ok.. then my info was wrong about the length

but due to the specialized yoke, u cant fit a coil in to the frame (or?!)

btw. i never saw an sx with a coil .. not on pb or anywhere else on the net.. if someone got a pic, plz share it to us/me

Posted: Feb 17, 2021 at 20:54 Quote
Why wouldn't the bike yoke for the SX trail fit? Before the bike yoke people would use the SX slope to run an air shock. They would need to cut a bit off so could you not just make up that distance with stroke length?

Posted: Feb 17, 2021 at 22:55 Quote
i dont know if the yokes from the sx slope and sx trail have the same length...
and if the bikeyoke one would fit, it would also lower the input length of the shock... so u would need something arround 180mm then i guess (?)

Posted: May 7, 2021 at 13:37 Quote
Spring starting to come around here in Colorado. Friend and I hit Erie single track. I'm just a novice and it's nothing major but, still shredding the SX whenever I get the opportunity. I push some Maxxis Holy Rollers on factory 26ers for parks like this. The extra speed is nice although it doesn't exactly inspire confidence in the berms. Soft soils out this way.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.020906
Mobile Version of Website