Pinkbike will be undergoing scheduled maintenance on May 29 at 9pm PST for up to 6 hours. We apologize for any inconvenience caused during this time.
Powered by Outside

Spindrift 2021

PB Forum :: Propain Bikes
Spindrift 2021
Posted: Mar 23, 2023 at 5:48 Quote
Combo of a press and light taps with a rubber mallet tbh, fairly easy, just make sure you line it up properly, transformed my mullet bike for the better

Posted: Mar 26, 2023 at 9:30 Quote
DanielFinegan wrote:
Hi there!

I've ordered a Spindrift and am looking at my dropper post options. I just ordered it with a standard seat post.

Could someone please measure their 29 inch size large frame from the BB to the seat clamp.

I had a look at this thread and did not find anything. I also looked on Propains website but cannot find this dimension.

Cheers!

Large 29 al frame from the middle of the bb to the top of the seat collar is 465 mm. 18.3 Inches.

Posted: Apr 7, 2023 at 8:20 Quote
hi guys, i searched the in forum for someone who has talked about, or done it, the dual crown spindrift but i couldn't find anything. is this a bad idea? I think it could be a nice freeride. What do you think about it?

Posted: Apr 7, 2023 at 21:11 Quote
DperruH wrote:
hi guys, i searched the in forum for someone who has talked about, or done it, the dual crown spindrift but i couldn't find anything. is this a bad idea? I think it could be a nice freeride. What do you think about it?

Ask from username Saintvsdiabolus.
https://m.pinkbike.com/forum/listcomments/?threadid=200759&pagenum=106

O+
Posted: Apr 7, 2023 at 22:01 Quote
DperruH wrote:

I've done it, rides awesome if you check the FAQ on the propain spindrift website it says you can run 200mm dual crowns

Posted: Apr 7, 2023 at 23:22 Quote
DperruH wrote:

That's how I run (edited to clarify) on a 27.5 bike. If you want to maintain the same geo (on a 27.5 wheels) a 180mm built dual is best, but you can go 200mm and you'll get a tiny bit slacker HA and raise the BB just a wee bit.

It is a bike that pedals AND mobs without the rear end length getting long. I can't stand a long rear and that it what keeps me away from ever getting a Rage as a freeride bike. You can flip the Rage rear but not to 435. Plus a Rage I would lose the dropper.

I went a 180mm build on the fork for the all mountain personality of it, that way nothing else changes besides better braking, steering precision, less flex, etc. Then I can lower the tubes in the crowns and slacken things up for long bike park days or a really long vert trail. IMO a quality 180mm is better than 200mm of not as quality, but quality can't change slackness in the right situation.

My only small wish for perfection running a dual without changing geo is a finding the perfect direct stem in a 40mm which is near impossible. There are a few but they fall short in one way or another. I thought I had it with the Pro Taper Direct Mount back when they advertised 35-50 adjustment. It was only marketing. In reality it only moves 5mm, 45-50. It took countless conversations with them but they saw the light and fixed it on their main site but off their site it is advertised wrong. They measure the entire bolt slot length and not the bolt center to center. I settled on a Yoshi at 45 (my fork offset is 46).

Note: edited the above post to later add that mine is a 27.5 wheel bike which makes a big difference when adding a dual as the crown to axle is limited. If you are 29er, geo shouldn’t change.

Posted: Apr 8, 2023 at 2:49 Quote
highndry wrote:
DperruH wrote:

That's how I run. If you want to maintain the same geo across the board a 180mm built dual is best, but you can go 200mm and you'll get a tiny bit slacker HA and raise the BB just a wee bit.

It is a bike that pedals AND mobs without the rear end length getting long. I can't stand a long rear and that it what keeps me away from ever getting a Rage as a freeride bike. You can flip the Rage rear but not to 435. Plus a Rage I would lose the dropper.

I went a 180mm build on the fork for the all mountain personality of it, that way nothing else changes besides better braking, steering precision, less flex, etc. Then I can lower the tubes in the crowns and slacken things up for long bike park days or a really long vert trail. IMO a quality 180mm is better than 200mm of not as quality, but quality can't change slackness in the right situation.

My only small wish for perfection running a dual without changing geo is a finding the perfect direct stem in a 40mm which is near impossible. There are a few but they fall short in one way or another. I thought I had it with the Pro Taper Direct Mount back when they advertised 35-50 adjustment. It was only marketing. In reality it only moves 5mm, 45-50. It took countless conversations with them but they saw the light and fixed it on their main site but off their site it is advertised wrong. They measure the entire bolt slot length and not the bolt center to center. I settled on a Yoshi at 45 (my fork offset is 46).
You seem to be off with your travel adjustment for geo:
A 190 Zeb is 596mm
A 180 Fox38 is 594mm

And a Fox40 or Boxxer in 200mm is 602. So you average delta is only 7mm, So everything below 190 (-10m) is overcompensating and making bike steeper.

Above are for 29" forks, but same relationship holds for 27,5": the crown on a regular fork is pretty tall and arched, while on a triple clamp the bottom crowns is way thinner and almost straight. So a 180mm triple clamp builds lower then a single crown 180mm fork.

Posted: Apr 9, 2023 at 0:49 Quote
Grumposaur wrote:
You seem to be off with your travel adjustment for geo:

Yes you are correct when comparing single to dual crown forks off the bike and if using a 29er, but according to the Propain geo chart, the Spindrift 29er is 598mm axle to crown fork length (with a 23mm BB drop) and the 27.5 is 577mm axle to crown (with a 10mm BB drop), so your numbers work great on 29. I am running 27.5 wheels which I now went back and added to the post above to help clarify.

Posted: May 18, 2023 at 14:56 Quote
Yo does anybody know what parts I will need to put a dual crown on my Spindrift AL Mullet? Like hub spacers and crown/headset parts, I also wouldn't mind putting a 27.5 wheel in the front to keep same geo.

Posted: Jun 3, 2023 at 12:08 Quote
I'm looking to try a medium spindrift frame, used. Can't find one anywhere. (Except new) please help. Anyone looking to part with their medium spindrift? Any thoughts would be appreciated

Posted: Jun 3, 2023 at 16:47 Quote
Marinsend wrote:
I'm looking to try a medium spindrift frame, used. Can't find one anywhere. (Except new) please help. Anyone looking to part with their medium spindrift? Any thoughts would be appreciated

I don't have one but propain has a app called Propain Friends were you can try other peoples Propain bikes in your area, hope that helped.

Posted: Jun 5, 2023 at 16:05 Quote
@SHRDDR thanks for the idea. If anyone here wants to unload a medium frame of any description, HMU.
Apparently in October the demo bikes will go on sale from the season. Thought I'd share that with everyone. They'll put you on the list for what bike you're be interested in and follow up with you around that time! I'm down for a medium ebike.

Posted: Jul 10, 2023 at 11:19 Quote
I have a question for all Spindrift 27.5 owners:

I am looking to possibly buy a Spindrift CF 27.5 frame for my next build. I like setting up my suspension to be super active as I like to jump and pop off everything I can in the trail. Do the new Spindrifts suit this type of riding style well?

Posted: Jul 11, 2023 at 8:06 Quote
speedy-toast wrote:

I am looking to possibly buy a Spindrift CF 27.5 frame for my next build. I like setting up my suspension to be super active as I like to jump and pop off everything I can in the trail. Do the new Spindrifts suit this type of riding style well?

Yes very supportive and poppy.

Posted: Jul 11, 2023 at 14:53 Quote
Dini2k wrote:
speedy-toast wrote:

Yes very supportive and poppy.

Right on. I just ordered one up and I’m stoked lol

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.012048
Mobile Version of Website