Powered by Outside

Diabetic Riders

Posted: Aug 4, 2017 at 13:47 Quote
The tube will be fine, don't worry about that. If you're still worried about it though, just carry a spare in your camelbak/pocket/whatever. The only times I've broken a tube was when I used it for a solid 6 months and it got caught on a doorknob and got pulled as I was walking by or something. I promise, riding ain't gonna hurt shit.

Basically, I squeeze my butt cheek with my glutes flexed. Wherever seems to be the most fat is where my catheter goes. Generally, for me, it's towards the outside middle.

And butt cheek, not check. My bad.

One issue to beware of when using the belly is that wherever the insulin is injected will cause a small amount of fat gain. My stomach is flat as the earth was in the 5th century, so it looks weird when there's a random lump of fat there. I can't see my butt though, so I dgaf lol.

Posted: Aug 4, 2017 at 19:26 Quote
therealtylerdurden wrote:
The tube will be fine, don't worry about that. If you're still worried about it though, just carry a spare in your camelbak/pocket/whatever. The only times I've broken a tube was when I used it for a solid 6 months and it got caught on a doorknob and got pulled as I was walking by or something. I promise, riding ain't gonna hurt shit.

Basically, I squeeze my butt cheek with my glutes flexed. Wherever seems to be the most fat is where my catheter goes. Generally, for me, it's towards the outside middle.

And butt cheek, not check. My bad.

One issue to beware of when using the belly is that wherever the insulin is injected will cause a small amount of fat gain. My stomach is flat as the earth was in the 5th century, so it looks weird when there's a random lump of fat there. I can't see my butt though, so I dgaf lol.
You're right on the belly fat - that's been my favorite injection site for years and I have a pocket of fat mid-belly, even though I gave it a 1-year break when it got scarred/lumpy. I'll try other sites to see what works.

One thing - what type of infusion set do you use for the butt? I'm liking the Sillouette on my torso but I also have some Mio and Mio30s.

Posted: Aug 4, 2017 at 21:19 Quote
I use an old stockpile of Quicksets. They're functionally very similar to the Mio, 90° insertion angle, 6 or 9mm canula, etc, just a slightly different connection. Basically, the Mio is a new version of the Quickset in my eyes.

I use the Silhouette in the rare case that I want to use my thigh. I have precisely zero fat on my legs (or stomach hence my use of my butt), and that's a problem for the Quickset because the cannula goes straight into my muscle, and the pump doesn't have enough power to push it into the dense muscle. Not to mention that intramuscular injections only need about half the insulin that subcutaneous injects need...

But I digress. The silloutte, being that it can be inserted at nearly any angle, can glide in directly between the muscle and skin. The reason I don't use them almost ever is that the needle on those bastards is HUGE! Shit hurts to put in, and is sore for at least a day afterwards. It also tends to cause scar tissue build up, which isn't a good thing when you will be spending your life needing insulin injections one way or another...

Definitely love the Quicksets for my butt. Just make sure you've got some fat back there. Doesn't have to be much at all, but at least some needs to be there.

Posted: Aug 5, 2017 at 16:43 Quote
I go for high butt, higher than you would usually inject into, 90 degree inset 6mm, I check the spot by bending my leg and seeing where it will not deform or flex, the idea is you want a place that is least affected by movement, so there are places on the butt when it will be subject to more pulling and shifting of your skin under,..... definitely do NOT insert it in the anus...... Big Grin I had too... lolz.

I use an animus pump and CGM, and I use the auto injectors cause trying to twist and accurately insert a manual one into my rear is a recipie for rage..

Salute

Posted: Aug 5, 2017 at 18:31 Quote
lol Agreed. Never really thought about it, but I go a bit higher too. Sitting on the catheter jams the cannula into your glutes, and that hurts lol. Can also f*ck up your dosing.

Posted: Aug 5, 2017 at 19:59 Quote
lol Agreed. Never really thought about it, but I go a bit higher too. Sitting on the catheter jams the cannula into your glutes, and that hurts lol. Can also f*ck up your dosing.
yeah that's what I was wondering about, thanks.

Posted: Aug 6, 2017 at 12:14 Quote
lol, my first attempt at an insertion was a manual insertion, it took me 20 mins at least and my wife was angry at me after for bursing so much and being so angry at it.. then I sat down, right on it like you say.. and was like "f*ck"!!! ( i t stabbed me internally at that point ) and then she want for a "walk" ( that a bad thing ) lol how have you been tyler ?? we have made the move to bc, and there are some pretty rad trails where I live that get little traffic as its anunknown area, though I have to work 3 hours away, so im 4 on 3 off.... b.c. has many frusterations but its pretty rad.. also is hot as f*ck for the last few weeks, so les biking and more guitar playing near the lake .

Posted: Aug 6, 2017 at 16:14 Quote
Lol! I always do manual insertions. But yeah, that sitting on it thing is enough to make ya punch the guy sitting next to ya!

I'm doing alright. Still 0 heat tolerance after the heat stroke/sepsis episode. Royal pain in the f*ckin ass!

f*ckin a, that doesn't sound too bad! Glad you're diggin it! tup

Posted: Aug 6, 2017 at 20:58 Quote
this is literally all around me now .
Views: 163    Faves: 0    Comments: 0

Posted: Aug 6, 2017 at 21:00 Quote
Views: 28    Faves: 0    Comments: 0

All filmed in 1090 p...

Posted: Aug 6, 2017 at 21:02 Quote
That's sick!!! You ride moto at all, dmad?

Posted: Aug 7, 2017 at 10:23 Quote
I would if I had one Smile also due to the fire danger offroad vehicles with combustion engines are not currentlly allowed anywhere, this is where My E bike moto will be born, im working on sourcing battery cells now, when i get it running it will have a top speed of 50 KMH adn go around 70 Kilometers, its built on an old shit wallmart dual suspension frame somebody left in my shed. no combustion engine = no fire = no fires = Ride the shit out of it... Smile

Posted: Aug 7, 2017 at 10:45 Quote
Lol! I always do manual insertions. But yeah, that sitting on it thing is enough to make ya punch the guy sitting next to ya!

I'm doing alright. Still 0 heat tolerance after the heat stroke/sepsis episode. Royal pain in the f*ckin ass!

f*ckin a, that doesn't sound too bad! Glad you're diggin it! tup
Time to change sets today so I'm trying upper butt (just behind hip and below waistline). I was using that spot for Lantus injections and it didn't usually bleed much. I used a MIO (6mm vertical) which comes with an integrated spring-loaded inserter which made it easy one-handed. Since I hardly feel it in that spot I'll have to be conscious not to catch it when changing etc.

I'm still really slow changing sets since I still have to follow the guide (fill reservoir etc). Start to finish around half hour...

Posted: Aug 7, 2017 at 10:57 Quote
Accuracy = more important than speed. Just like riding, the speed will come!

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.045401
Mobile Version of Website