Powered by Outside

Giant trance?

PB Forum :: Giant
Giant trance?
Posted: Apr 13, 2011 at 7:29 Quote
nwmlarge wrote:
no clear coat just rawed.

RLRG is that a single speed?

yea it is. i did it to save weight and the day before i took this pic i snapped the chain tensioner so i found an old derailer and put it on with a ton of zapstraps

Posted: Apr 14, 2011 at 1:19 Quote
ride-life-ride-giant wrote:
nwmlarge wrote:

yea it is. i did it to save weight and the day before i took this pic i snapped the chain tensioner so i found an old derailer and put it on with a ton of zapstraps

does it work well with the suspension moving ?

i was considering it for mine

Posted: Apr 14, 2011 at 7:23 Quote
nwmlarge wrote:
ride-life-ride-giant wrote:
nwmlarge wrote:

does it work well with the suspension moving ?

i was considering it for mine
yes it works perfect. just make sure your chain is long enough cause if its too short your chaintensioner will hit your chainstay and you wont be using your full rear wheel travel

Posted: Sep 27, 2011 at 16:58 Quote
Sorry to be a grave digger again but I'm eyeing an 05 Reign 2 on Ebay, plan to using it for freeride and light DH, im not all that confident a rider and the biggest jump ive ever done was less than 20ft. Would this frame be ok for me? Im on a tight budget. Other issue is its an 18" frame and Im 5'11.......

Posted: Sep 27, 2011 at 23:21 Quote
it would be ideal to get the frame inspected prior to jumping as it is a 6 year old frame.
no more than 140mm forks

Posted: Nov 11, 2011 at 22:25 Quote
I'm into AM and XC. Was looking at the Anthem X 29er, BUT the single track and trails I do are a bit tight so I'm not sure if the Anthem X 29ers would be apt.

I use a GIANT Yukon hardtail, an XC bike i use to ride both XC and AM. HAHA. I love bombing downhill at our local track, but I always feel the consequences right after. My shoulder muscles get stiff or tight.

Used my 31 bars for the first time. My bike actually looks better with them on. HAHA.

Mud looks good on an MTB.

Anyways, wanted to ask you guys, TRANCE X3/2 OR REIGN 2 as my next bike? Sometimes I feel like the REIGN is a good option since it's burly AND it has 6" of travel, better components and it's better downhill. However, I kinda feel the REIGN might be a handful uphill, might be a bit on the weighty side and would 6" be a bit too much travel for someone who'll own a full-squish for the first time?

The TRANCE is a bit more of an all-arounder right? My fear is that I'll end up busting it or bottoming out a lot (I'm not that bi though, 5'10, 180lbs.) the rear shock a lot.

Any Pro's and Con's? What are your experiences with these bikes? What do these bikes typically weigh? My bike's kinda heavy 30++ pounds for an XC hardtail.

Posted: Nov 19, 2011 at 20:05 Quote
prancisfena wrote:
I'm into AM and XC. Was looking at the Anthem X 29er, BUT the single track and trails I do are a bit tight so I'm not sure if the Anthem X 29ers would be apt.

I use a GIANT Yukon hardtail, an XC bike i use to ride both XC and AM. HAHA. I love bombing downhill at our local track, but I always feel the consequences right after. My shoulder muscles get stiff or tight.

Used my 31 bars for the first time. My bike actually looks better with them on. HAHA.

Anyways, wanted to ask you guys, TRANCE X3/2 OR REIGN 2 as my next bike? Sometimes I feel like the REIGN is a good option since it's burly AND it has 6" of travel, better components and it's better downhill. However, I kinda feel the REIGN might be a handful uphill, might be a bit on the weighty side and would 6" be a bit too much travel for someone who'll own a full-squish for the first time?

The TRANCE is a bit more of an all-arounder right? My fear is that I'll end up busting it or bottoming out a lot (I'm not that bi though, 5'10, 180lbs.) the rear shock a lot.

Any Pro's and Con's? What are your experiences with these bikes? What do these bikes typically weigh? My bike's kinda heavy 30++ pounds for an XC hardtail.

I have a 2010 Trance X2, and find the 5" travel enough unless I start doing bigger drops. What I would like on it rather than more travel, is slacker geometry. I find the steep head angle makes the front end feel sketchy on steep terrain.

If I had to choose now, it would be the Reign. I just don't like the straight top tube on the new Trances. But overall, other than the extra inch of travel, there isn't a whole lot of difference between the Trance and Reign. The weight difference is not much more than a pound. The frames are comparable in terms of sturdiness; neither looks significantly burlier than the other. The geometry is almost the same -- the head angle difference is about 1 degree.

You won't notice the extra inch of travel pedaling if you sit and spin; but you will if you stand and pump. Going downhill, the extra inch of travel on the Reign will let you be a bit more aggressive.

Myself, I find neither the Trance or the Reign would be good for DH for me. I ended up getting a Faith for my DH bike. It's slacker, and burlier (I fall a lot). The extra travel is nice, but I never find myself thinking, "I'm sure glad I have 7" of travel." But, the Faith is a pig to climb on.

A Reign X would have worked for me, as well. But, I got a killer deal on the Faith. If you spring for the Reign X0, it would be less than 2 lbs heavier than your current bike. There seem to be a lot of guys who use it for trail riding. It won't climb like a Trance or Reign, but it should be better than my Faith (40 lbs.)

Posted: Nov 19, 2011 at 23:14 Quote
hmhcho wrote:
prancisfena wrote:

I have a 2010 Trance X2, and find the 5" travel enough unless I start doing bigger drops. What I would like on it rather than more travel, is slacker geometry. I find the steep head angle makes the front end feel sketchy on steep terrain.

If I had to choose now, it would be the Reign. I just don't like the straight top tube on the new Trances. But overall, other than the extra inch of travel, there isn't a whole lot of difference between the Trance and Reign. The weight difference is not much more than a pound. The frames are comparable in terms of sturdiness; neither looks significantly burlier than the other. The geometry is almost the same -- the head angle difference is about 1 degree.

You won't notice the extra inch of travel pedaling if you sit and spin; but you will if you stand and pump. Going downhill, the extra inch of travel on the Reign will let you be a bit more aggressive.

Myself, I find neither the Trance or the Reign would be good for DH for me. I ended up getting a Faith for my DH bike. It's slacker, and burlier (I fall a lot). The extra travel is nice, but I never find myself thinking, "I'm sure glad I have 7" of travel." But, the Faith is a pig to climb on.

A Reign X would have worked for me, as well. But, I got a killer deal on the Faith. If you spring for the Reign X0, it would be less than 2 lbs heavier than your current bike. There seem to be a lot of guys who use it for trail riding. It won't climb like a Trance or Reign, but it should be better than my Faith (40 lbs.)

Thanks for the feedback. The Trance is 1* slacker than my current bike so I think I wouldn't mind that. My 'home trails' are 50% up and 50% down so I don't mind the geometry. Been thinking about it and I think the 6" might be a bit too much for me - ALTHOUGH if i end up being able to afford a REIGN then I'd go for it. If not, then I'd be as happy with a Trance.

thanks for the feedback bro! I guess it's a confirmation that I'm a winner no matter what bike i get. HAHA Salute

Posted: Nov 19, 2011 at 23:42 Quote
prancisfena wrote:
hmhcho wrote:
prancisfena wrote:

Thanks for the feedback. The Trance is 1* slacker than my current bike so I think I wouldn't mind that. My 'home trails' are 50% up and 50% down so I don't mind the geometry. Been thinking about it and I think the 6" might be a bit too much for me - ALTHOUGH if i end up being able to afford a REIGN then I'd go for it. If not, then I'd be as happy with a Trance.

thanks for the feedback bro! I guess it's a confirmation that I'm a winner no matter what bike i get. HAHA Salute

You might want to keep your options open, and consider other brands. I like Giant -- I own two of them. There is no denying that they offer great bang for your buck, probably better than any other manufacturer.

Also, I like their Maestro suspension. It works well. But, there are things that I don't like about Giants. Primarily, the interrupted seat tube on their full suspension bikes really restrict the adjustment range on seat height. (I would reallt like to run a Reverb seatpost on my bikes, but the seat tube insertion range won't allow it for me.) Also, the cable routing on some of their bikes leaves a lot to be desired. Finally, the geometry of their bikes is quite steep compared to equivalent bikes from their competitors.

So, keep an open mind. Try lots of bikes. At the prices we are paying, you don't want to be stuck with a bike you don't love.

For me, price kept bringing me back to Giant. In the end, I decided I could live with their shortcomings. But, if money was no object, I doubt I would be buying a Giant.

Posted: Nov 20, 2011 at 0:46 Quote
[/Quote]

You might want to keep your options open, and consider other brands. I like Giant -- I own two of them. There is no denying that they offer great bang for your buck, probably better than any other manufacturer.

Also, I like their Maestro suspension. It works well. But, there are things that I don't like about Giants. Primarily, the interrupted seat tube on their full suspension bikes really restrict the adjustment range on seat height. (I would reallt like to run a Reverb seatpost on my bikes, but the seat tube insertion range won't allow it for me.) Also, the cable routing on some of their bikes leaves a lot to be desired. Finally, the geometry of their bikes is quite steep compared to equivalent bikes from their competitors.

So, keep an open mind. Try lots of bikes. At the prices we are paying, you don't want to be stuck with a bike you don't love.

For me, price kept bringing me back to Giant. In the end, I decided I could live with their shortcomings. But, if money was no object, I doubt I would be buying a Giant.[/Quote]

Well the reason why I was looking at GIANT was because 1) affordability, 2) availability and 3) durability. They, as you mentioned, have the best band for one's buck. AND they're not that hard to find. PLUS the MAESTRO suspension comes highly recommended. Spez bikes are available here but they're WAY, WAY out of my price range. Sta Cruz bikes here are in Frames ONLY and cost as much as a built GIANT. KONA has pulled out distribution here in Manila (they're selling 2010 or older bikes at really high prices). Treks are available and recommended as well, but I'd get a lower speced bike for the same price vs. Giant. Jamis is available but I'm not keen on getting a Jamis. FUJI have good looking bikes with good specs BUT they're not available until (March 2012 as far as I know). hahaha.

The only other recommended bike brand I'm looking at here in Manila is a KHS XCT 556. From what I've read and heard they're a good, reliable brand. It's kinda frustrating how limited one's options can be here. haha.

Posted: Nov 27, 2011 at 7:42 Quote
I've ridden my Trance X2 2008 since April 2008. I've done XC, I've done DJ, I've done DH, and I've done some small FR. This bike is the shit. Although the only thing I'm concerned of now is age. The bike has no dents, but has always been ridden pretty hard. I think the only things I've replaced are the wheels, BB, Derailleur hanger, brake cables, and tires/tubes, all of those got replaces when they broke. The stem and seat were changed for preference.

Should I be worried about the frame breaking one day??? Or the fork/shock??? I think the largest drops I do are around 8ft and they have smooth transitions...This wouldn't necessarily beat the bike up right? It's not like I'm dropping 4 ft to flat concrete or something...And jumps like 10-15ft long with decent transitions as well would not totally ruin the bike...I have bottomed out (CLACK) the shock a few times. Then when I ride some DH I usually beat her up pretty good, I don't fall often though.

I want a reign, but some of the comments on here make me feel like I could move right past it and get a new glory(dreams!), and that a Reign would just be very similar to my Trance. What do you think...?

photo

Posted: Nov 27, 2011 at 13:03 Quote
Thrillride wrote:
I've ridden my Trance X2 2008 since April 2008. I've done XC, I've done DJ, I've done DH, and I've done some small FR. This bike is the shit. Although the only thing I'm concerned of now is age. The bike has no dents, but has always been ridden pretty hard. I think the only things I've replaced are the wheels, BB, Derailleur hanger, brake cables, and tires/tubes, all of those got replaces when they broke. The stem and seat were changed for preference.

Should I be worried about the frame breaking one day??? Or the fork/shock??? I think the largest drops I do are around 8ft and they have smooth transitions...This wouldn't necessarily beat the bike up right? It's not like I'm dropping 4 ft to flat concrete or something...And jumps like 10-15ft long with decent transitions as well would not totally ruin the bike...I have bottomed out (CLACK) the shock a few times. Then when I ride some DH I usually beat her up pretty good, I don't fall often though.

I want a reign, but some of the comments on here make me feel like I could move right past it and get a new glory(dreams!), and that a Reign would just be very similar to my Trance. What do you think...?

photo

be sure to check for stress marks and cracks before and after your rides and ride it until it breaks! if you are the original owner, Giant has a lifetime warranty. Just be sure to not tell them you use the bike as aggressively as you tell us here. The reign is a step up from the trance and I too want to eventually get one myself. for your needs, I would look past the reign and go for the reign x or reign sx.

nice bike by the way!

Posted: Nov 27, 2011 at 13:32 Quote
Thrillride wrote:

Aluminum is not a very resilient material. Any frame made of aluminum will fail eventually if you beat on it hard enough and long enough. That said, though, Giant has a very good warranty. If your frame breaks from daily wear and tear (not a crash), you should have no problem getting a new one from Giant (assuming you are the original owner). If it breaks from a crash, replacement will be at Giant's discretion. So, don't replace your bike simply because of age. Ride it till it breaks, then get a new frame from Giant.

If you find yourself bottoming out on drops, just pump up the pressure in your shock/fork. You sacrifice a little suppleness in the suspension for the ability to handle bigger hits.

Reign's are nice. But, like you say, they are very similar to the Trance. Personally, I don't think it is worth the money to replace your Trance with a Reign. A Reign X, however, would be another story. It could handle just about anything you could throw at it. But, it is quite a bit heavier, and won't be as good a climber as your Trance.

A Glory would suck as an only bike, unless you live at the Bike Park. They are just to focused in purpose to serve as an all-around bike. A Glory would be a great second bike, though, if you are keeping your Trance.

Keep your Trance. If you have money burning a hole in your pocket, or really want to get a new bike (I can relate to that), get a another, burlier bike for FR/DH.

Posted: Nov 29, 2011 at 18:05 Quote
thanks guys thats pretty much what I thought I'd hear. Yes I am the original owner, and the thing is I love this bike and my dad got TWO at the same time...One for me, one for him, but he never rides and I think I will eventually take it over!

So ride it til it breaks huh....What kind of break are we talking here? I don't wanna hit a 7 ft drop and have the frame buckle under me...I'll keep an eye out for cracks and stuff. Thanks again.

Oh oh! Would a coil shock be at all possible on a trance? Do I want to upgrade my fork at all? Thanks!

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.042432
Mobile Version of Website