Powered by Outside

Ti springs

Posted: Dec 3, 2007 at 10:30 Quote
Go to this page of the RCS site. Look at the chart and tell me what measurement they use for spring rate. Unless I'm blind it says lbs/in. Explain to me what that might mean.

http://www.rentoncoilspring.com/performance/shop/order_mountainbikes.cfm?SID=2&CustomerID=35281&jsessionid=ea30bb78b9bf$F6$E5$B&

O+ FL
Posted: Dec 3, 2007 at 10:34 Quote
pounds per square inch would be a measuer of pressure

lbs per in is the relation between force applied and movement of a spring
usually shown on a graph

If the line is straight with a constant slope the sping is linear (500lbs per in)
if that line is a curve getting steeper towards the end then it is progressive, (This would follow an arc and require an equation to solve at a specific location along its travel)

Posted: Dec 3, 2007 at 10:36 Quote
in context it works - like you have already said dude - that means it takes for example 400lbs to compress the spring 1 inch.

e.g 'oh look at that spring its a 400 pounds per inch spring'

but if you simply say 'whats pounds per inch?' it makes no sense. for there is no numerical value for it to relate to.

Posted: Dec 3, 2007 at 10:41 Quote
listen mate, you know your beat now leave it at that.

Posted: Dec 3, 2007 at 10:44 Quote
One thing's for sure. I am dumber for having participated in this.

O+ FL
Posted: Dec 3, 2007 at 10:46 Quote
i agree with david

Posted: Dec 3, 2007 at 10:47 Quote
lmao you made me laugh outloud then. ah well. basically swap your springs for lumps of rubber - its the way forward

Posted: Dec 3, 2007 at 11:39 Quote
Huckoveraduck, please concede defeat. This thread should close with a clear answer. I think it was supplied, as lbs/in is a valid measure for spring rate.

Posted: Dec 3, 2007 at 11:53 Quote
evan547 wrote:
Huckoveraduck, please concede defeat. This thread should close with a clear answer. I think it was supplied, as lbs/in is a valid measure for spring rate.

you cant come in at the end and say some crap that nobody cares about anymore.
thanks for your input - but take a hike!

Posted: Dec 3, 2007 at 13:29 Quote
Actually I care about it, that's why I posted. I am interested in a Ti spring, so I scrolled to the end of the thread where I found...no clear answer!

I'm glad people debate, as that will lead to better discussion, but you (Huckoveraduck) actually posted at the end to get a last quip in. Sorry to be an ass, but these forums can be a lot better.

Posted: Dec 3, 2007 at 14:52 Quote
Thanks guys that was a good and funny debate although it didnt help much.

Anyway besides all the pounds per inch s*it, one thing u agree on is that ti springs give better performance.

Next time u get a chance talk to RMR we all know he knows his s*it and maybe he can settle it.

By the way he agrees that ti springs have no performance differences to a steel spring, just weight.

Posted: Dec 30, 2008 at 20:29 Quote
I have a fox 2.8 x 500 spring on my Faith. Will an obtainium ti spring 400 x 3 be alright? I think it should be fine...and by the way I'm 150lbs.

Thanks

Posted: Dec 30, 2008 at 21:01 Quote
[Quote="markbatt"]

THis is when you ask for free length measurement. I can double check, but Im 99% sure the RCS and Obtainium ones fit a DHX. Double check though

Posted: Dec 30, 2008 at 21:05 Quote
i have used a ti spring get the exact same lengths and wheight unless you want it stiffer and they are about half the wheight of a steel spring i used to have one on my v10

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.015319
Mobile Version of Website