Powered by Outside

Crazy braking idea, but it is possible.

PB Forum :: Bikes, Parts, and Gear
Crazy braking idea, but it is possible.
Posted: Feb 17, 2008 at 12:42 Quote
DaveyLC wrote:
Your rear will always lock up given enough braking force.. Thats the laws of physics I'm afraid Smile Front will only lock up on a lose or very sipery surface, the weight transfer under breaking normally causes a weight transfer and with enough force finally the inevitable endo Smile

Not true. I can lock my front on pavement, it makes me go into the air without my bike. D:

Posted: Feb 17, 2008 at 12:42 Quote
i can't do endos, no matter how fast i go, and how hard i sqeeezze. using breaks alone, haha i can lock the front too, when i lean back, but all it does is skid

Posted: Feb 17, 2008 at 12:43 Quote
Then your brakes need a bleed. Even a properly set up v-brake can send you over the bars.

Posted: Feb 17, 2008 at 12:45 Quote
Wilson4 wrote:
Even a properly set up v-brake can send you over the bars.

Come on Wilson, did you really expect the people on PB to have their brakes properly adjusted?

Posted: Feb 17, 2008 at 12:49 Quote
sherbet wrote:
DaveyLC wrote:
Your rear will always lock up given enough braking force.. Thats the laws of physics I'm afraid Smile Front will only lock up on a lose or very sipery surface, the weight transfer under breaking normally causes a weight transfer and with enough force finally the inevitable endo Smile

Not true. I can lock my front on pavement, it makes me go into the air without my bike. D:

Thats not locked, your wheel is still rolling your bike just happens to be rolling with it.. If it was locked your bike would be level and your front wheel woudl be skiding along.

Posted: Feb 17, 2008 at 12:50 Quote
DaveyLC wrote:
sherbet wrote:
DaveyLC wrote:

Thats not locked, your wheel is still rolling your bike just happens to be rolling with it.. If it was locked your bike would be level and your front wheel woudl be skiding along.

Uhm, no, it's locked, that's why the bike starts to roll forward in relation to the tire. If I really lean back, I can skid the front pretty easily.

Posted: Feb 17, 2008 at 12:52 Quote
Your wheel isnt locked though, its still rolling Smile yes the brake is stuck to the rim but ABS is the subject and ABS is about preventing skid..

Posted: Feb 17, 2008 at 12:53 Quote
breaks are fine, they a praticlly brand new. what i met to really say was, i can skid when i want to , but i can control it so i dont when i don't wanna.

Posted: Feb 17, 2008 at 12:53 Quote
DaveyLC wrote:
Your wheel isnt locked though, its still rolling Smile yes the brake is stuck to the rim but ABS is the subject and ABS is about preventing skid..

I don't think you're getting what I'm saying. I CAN lock it. I HAVE locked it. It CAN be locked. End of discussion.

Posted: Feb 17, 2008 at 12:55 Quote
What im trying to say is.. ABS is designed to stop your wheel from going into a skid and that is really rare on a bike unless conditions are really bad, and in that instance ABS will just unsettle the bike and make you crash anyway.

Posted: Feb 17, 2008 at 12:57 Quote
This is a really clever idea! Should it be made especially for MTB, or both MTB and BMX? MTB'S use to travel in higher speed, and especially in Downhill it's necessary so you can focus more on the riding and doesn't have to worry about sliding out of the track into a tree or something because your braking too hard. For BMX's though I think people would just cut them down, because it's like unnecessary weight etc.

Posted: Feb 17, 2008 at 12:58 Quote
slopestylejunkie wrote:
This is a really clever idea! Should it be made especially for MTB, or both MTB and BMX? MTB'S use to travel in higher speed, and especially in Downhill it's necessary so you can focus more on the riding and doesn't have to worry about sliding out of the track into a tree or something because your braking too hard. For BMX's though I think people would just cut them down, because it's like unnecessary weight etc.

Did you read the first few pages?

Posted: Feb 17, 2008 at 12:59 Quote
DaveyLC wrote:
What im trying to say is.. ABS is designed to stop your wheel from going into a skid and that is really rare on a bike unless conditions are really bad, and in that instance ABS will just unsettle the bike and make you crash anyway.
ABS does not prevent your wheel from locking. the way ABS works is when the wheel locks, ABS kicks in and lets up on the brakes which lets the wheel roll, the brakes then lock the wheel again and ABS lets it roll again. all ABS does is makes the wheel lock, un-lock, lock, un-lock.

Posted: Feb 17, 2008 at 13:02 Quote
sherbet wrote:
slopestylejunkie wrote:

haha no Beer

Posted: Feb 17, 2008 at 13:04 Quote
slopestylejunkie wrote:
sherbet wrote:
slopestylejunkie wrote:

haha no Beer
i'll give you the short version. it was decided that it would be a bad idea because once the wheel locks for ABS to kick in, you would wash out and fall. it would also be heavy and expensive and riders should learn how to modulate on their own.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.018385
Mobile Version of Website