Virginia riders....anyone??

PB Forum :: USA - East
Virginia riders....anyone??
O+ FL
Posted: Mar 21, 2013 at 11:51 Quote
mtbpkdude wrote:
Oh cool, my brother and I were thinking of camping there and riding for a couple days this summer. I only have a hardtail though, don't think 120mm of travel is gonna be enough...

Ive never ridden that trail but if its anything else like trails in the George Washington National forest then its possible to do it on a hardtail. Ive seen some people ride some gnarly trails on them and its definitely possible, you just cant pin it or you might have some troubles haha

if you want to camp, check out todd lake recreation area, a bit southwest of harrisonburg, i think there are about 3 or 4 trails all within ridding distance, you will have to pedal but the downhills are super fun

O+
Posted: Mar 21, 2013 at 13:59 Quote
mtbtacolover wrote:
mtbpkdude wrote:
Oh cool, my brother and I were thinking of camping there and riding for a couple days this summer. I only have a hardtail though, don't think 120mm of travel is gonna be enough...

Ive never ridden that trail but if its anything else like trails in the George Washington National forest then its possible to do it on a hardtail. Ive seen some people ride some gnarly trails on them and its definitely possible, you just cant pin it or you might have some troubles haha

if you want to camp, check out todd lake recreation area, a bit southwest of harrisonburg, i think there are about 3 or 4 trails all within ridding distance, you will have to pedal but the downhills are super fun
Oh ok, I can usually keep up or sometimes beat guys on dual suspensions on our local trails, but the ones up in the Charlottesville area seem a lot more technical. I'll be sure to check out the Todd Lake place too. Oh cool you're in Stafford, do you ride 495 a lot?

O+ FL
Posted: Mar 21, 2013 at 16:50 Quote
mtbpkdude wrote:
mtbtacolover wrote:
mtbpkdude wrote:

Oh ok, I can usually keep up or sometimes beat guys on dual suspensions on our local trails, but the ones up in the Charlottesville area seem a lot more technical. I'll be sure to check out the Todd Lake place too. Oh cool you're in Stafford, do you ride 495 a lot?

yeah out west they are pretty technical.

Yeah im in stafford, i dont usually go to 495, atleast i havent been in a while, I go to school in harrisonburg so i ride more out in the mountains :Cool :

O+
Posted: Mar 21, 2013 at 17:32 Quote
mtbtacolover wrote:
mtbpkdude wrote:
mtbtacolover wrote:

Yeah im in stafford, i dont usually go to 495, atleast i havent been in a while, I go to school in harrisonburg so i ride more out in the mountains :Cool :
Oh gotcha, I'm gonna try to make it up to 495 in the summer sometime as the dirt jumps at Old Coach and Gillies Creek can get old after awhile.

Posted: Mar 21, 2013 at 17:55 Quote
you guys should check out the trails where they host the SM 100 --- that's a sick race --- buddy of mine did it in about 9 hours (l think) what ever it was, it was just a tad behind the pros. there's three down hill sections that are a blast to ride. painful getting to the top --- only one of them you can get there with a vehicle, the other two you gotta get to the tops on your bike. l did these sections a few times during the races through the years --- takes me a looooong time hike-a-biking to the peaks but holy crap, what a fun descent --- it's really really fun. there's a few sections of water bars that you can really get flying on. there's like 10 in a row at one point, each time you're peggin' a at least 30 feet distance before you land. ... camp sites all around -- great place to ride --- kick ass race for those who can pedal 100 miles on a bike.

Posted: Mar 21, 2013 at 17:57 Quote
http://www.mtntouring.com/mountain/htm/home/page_home.htm

O+
Posted: Mar 21, 2013 at 20:26 Quote
That sounds sick, but it doesn't really say where it is on the website? Isn't part of it in the George Washington National Forest?

Posted: Mar 22, 2013 at 4:06 Quote
mtbpkdude wrote:
That sounds sick, but it doesn't really say where it is on the website? Isn't part of it in the George Washington National Forest?

yep --- l have a map someone left behind from the race, they Sharpie'd the actual route --

l'll try to post photos of the map.

FL
Posted: Mar 27, 2013 at 8:37 Quote
Sherando is great for a day trip but the camping is perfect if you are not into the whole primative experience...I've been riding there for years and there are a few options of trail including Kennedy Ridge and Torrey that can be connected to the main run from the top (includes the Slacks and Whiterock Gap...there are some decent maps and info online.

For a real big mountain experience, I suggest spending a few days outside of Harrisonburg in the George Washington National Forest. The folks at SBC http://www.shenandoahbicycle.com/ and the trail advocacy group http://svbcoalition.org/ can point you in the right direction if you haven't ridden up there. My buddy and I get up there 3-5 times a year and spend a couple straight days riding. All trails are good, highlights include; Narrowback North loop, Lynn > Wolf Ridge, Reddish Knob >Timber Ridge >Wolf Ridge, Trimble Mtn, and Braley Pond Loop to name a few! Camping is plentiful (from primative to nice) and shuttling is an option too. However, every run/trail has some saddle work so don't expect all down. Remember, it's important to keep the mountain in mountain biking!

FL
Posted: Mar 27, 2013 at 8:42 Quote
mtbpkdude wrote:
Smurphey wrote:
mtbpkdude wrote:
Has anyone ridden Poor Farm Park lately? Looks like someone's been doing some maintenance out there, Hanover County doesn't maintain them anymore.

I live about a mile away from poor farm and rode it over my winter break.....some local riders get together and do some trail maintenance every once in a while.
Oh cool, then was it them who took out the fallen trees blocking some of the trails on the flats? If so, tell them thanks, their work is greatly appreciated.

Richmond MORE has been in talks with Hanover county to improve the trails out there to make them more sustainable. I don't know where things stand currently with the work as MORE has been busy out at Camp Brady Saunders and on the JRPS trails.

O+
Posted: Mar 27, 2013 at 9:00 Quote
dkernrva wrote:
mtbpkdude wrote:
Smurphey wrote:

I live about a mile away from poor farm and rode it over my winter break.....some local riders get together and do some trail maintenance every once in a while.
Oh cool, then was it them who took out the fallen trees blocking some of the trails on the flats? If so, tell them thanks, their work is greatly appreciated.

Richmond MORE has been in talks with Hanover county to improve the trails out there to make them more sustainable. I don't know where things stand currently with the work as MORE has been busy out at Camp Brady Saunders and on the JRPS trails.
Awesome, that's what I've been waiting to hear for a long time. My buddies and I have been riding at Poor Farm Park for years, it's where we got started riding and we still ride there a lot, if they want volunteers to come out and help with trail work I'd be happy to.

O+
Posted: Mar 27, 2013 at 9:01 Quote
dkernrva wrote:
Sherando is great for a day trip but the camping is perfect if you are not into the whole primative experience...I've been riding there for years and there are a few options of trail including Kennedy Ridge and Torrey that can be connected to the main run from the top (includes the Slacks and Whiterock Gap...there are some decent maps and info online.

For a real big mountain experience, I suggest spending a few days outside of Harrisonburg in the George Washington National Forest. The folks at SBC http://www.shenandoahbicycle.com/ and the trail advocacy group http://svbcoalition.org/ can point you in the right direction if you haven't ridden up there. My buddy and I get up there 3-5 times a year and spend a couple straight days riding. All trails are good, highlights include; Narrowback North loop, Lynn > Wolf Ridge, Reddish Knob >Timber Ridge >Wolf Ridge, Trimble Mtn, and Braley Pond Loop to name a few! Camping is plentiful (from primative to nice) and shuttling is an option too. However, every run/trail has some saddle work so don't expect all down. Remember, it's important to keep the mountain in mountain biking!
That sounds sweet, would those trails be ridable on a hardtail?

FL
Posted: Mar 27, 2013 at 12:29 Quote
mtbpkdude wrote:
dkernrva wrote:
mtbpkdude wrote:

Awesome, that's what I've been waiting to hear for a long time. My buddies and I have been riding at Poor Farm Park for years, it's where we got started riding and we still ride there a lot, if they want volunteers to come out and help with trail work I'd be happy to.

I would advise going to Richmond MORE website, sign up to be a member, and then sign up for their newsletter and email alerts. You will get notifications when they do trail work. The trail work season is always in the late fall through winter. They have a few more weeks of scheduled work days left this season with sporadic work days throughout the spring and summer.

FL
Posted: Mar 27, 2013 at 12:33 Quote
mtbpkdude wrote:
dkernrva wrote:

That sounds sweet, would those trails be ridable on a hardtail?

Oh, they are rideable on a hardtail. My buddy Ryan and I had one of the most epic trips in recent memory up there on hardtails a few years back! Bring lots of extra tubes, patch kits, zip ties, and duct tape though Smile I will warn you that this type of riding is not for the average rider or someone used to shuttling all the time...there is level of technicality that is unrivaled in the state (outside of maybe Douthat State Park) and a lot of pedaling involved. Be ready for an adventure!

O+ FL
Posted: Mar 27, 2013 at 18:13 Quote
mtbpkdude wrote:
mtbtacolover wrote:
mtbpkdude wrote:

Oh gotcha, I'm gonna try to make it up to 495 in the summer sometime as the dirt jumps at Old Coach and Gillies Creek can get old after awhile.

yeah dude its pretty legit, they have been putting a ton of work in atleast last summer, im sure they have done a lot more, i wish i could get out to help but im never even up there anymore. my friend used to help out every now and then but hes been pretty busy with work and school...hes actually in this thread somewhere haha

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.031863
Mobile Version of Website