Powered by Outside

Hugene.......any good?

PB Forum :: Propain Bikes
Hugene.......any good?
Posted: Jun 20, 2022 at 3:49 Quote
Got the Hugene on my short list for my next bike. What sort of clearance is there for the shock? Would a Cane Creek DB Air IL fit?

Posted: Jun 20, 2022 at 20:07 Quote
Unlikely. Float X is cutting it close, and the DB air is larger.

Got the bike pretty locked down now and loving it. Might try a 160mm airshaft, but to be fair 150mm is basically perfect.

Posted: Jul 18, 2022 at 6:28 Quote
Hey all been reading the comments and the bike seems really good! Does anyone have any first hand experience with the hugene and an ibis ripley or ripmo? I’ve ridden those but not the propain. Wondering which would be better for me. Lots of climbing with single track or flow trails with some tech. Live in Northern California. Also any common issues with the bike to be wary of? And what spec is best for the money and for a semi noob rider that wants to progress. Start or performance Looking for that one bike to do it all and keep forever. Thanks!

O+ FL
Posted: Jul 19, 2022 at 22:48 Quote
chrsjavr wrote:
Hey all been reading the comments and the bike seems really good! Does anyone have any first hand experience with the hugene and an ibis ripley or ripmo? I’ve ridden those but not the propain. Wondering which would be better for me. Lots of climbing with single track or flow trails with some tech. Live in Northern California. Also any common issues with the bike to be wary of? And what spec is best for the money and for a semi noob rider that wants to progress. Start or performance Looking for that one bike to do it all and keep forever. Thanks!

Having lived in the Bay myself I would say the Hugene is a pretty ideal bike for riding there.

Posted: Jul 20, 2022 at 22:31 Quote
chrsjavr wrote:

Ripley is a better climber in my opinion, but Hugene handles speed better. Haven't ridden a Ripmo so I can't comment. I live in the Bay Area and the Hugene is more than enough bike for what we have around here (like @PhoS said).

Start vs Performance: I'd go with Performance since you get RS Ultimates vs Select +. GX vs X01 drivetrain is somewhat moot. That said, seems like Start is priced better... not sure you're getting $1300 more bike w/ Performance over Start.

Let us know what you finally decide!

Posted: Jul 21, 2022 at 7:03 Quote
daxbox wrote:
chrsjavr wrote:

Ripley is a better climber in my opinion, but Hugene handles speed better. Haven't ridden a Ripmo so I can't comment. I live in the Bay Area and the Hugene is more than enough bike for what we have around here (like @PhoS said).

Start vs Performance: I'd go with Performance since you get RS Ultimates vs Select +. GX vs X01 drivetrain is somewhat moot. That said, seems like Start is priced better... not sure you're getting $1300 more bike w/ Performance over Start.

Do you know anything about the wheels and brakes? I’ve never personally heard of them until I looked at the hugene, I ordered the start as I feel it was best value, not sure if I should ask for performance…. Thinking if it’s that big of a difference

Posted: Jul 21, 2022 at 19:44 Quote
chrsjavr wrote:
daxbox wrote:
chrsjavr wrote:

Do you know anything about the wheels and brakes? I’ve never personally heard of them until I looked at the hugene, I ordered the start as I feel it was best value, not sure if I should ask for performance…. Thinking if it’s that big of a difference

I don't have direct experience with Magura MT5 or Formula Cura 4. I have experience with Magura MT7; they're really strong, not much modulation, took some time in getting used to them to prevent lock-ups. From what I understand, many of MT5 parts are shared with MT7. To me, brakes are really dependent on rider preference. I'm probably in the minority in that I prefer SRAM over Shimano. I bought the Highend spec and they came with G2 Ultimates back then.

Posted: Jul 21, 2022 at 20:13 Quote
daxbox wrote:
chrsjavr wrote:
daxbox wrote:

I don't have direct experience with Magura MT5 or Formula Cura 4. I have experience with Magura MT7; they're really strong, not much modulation, took some time in getting used to them to prevent lock-ups. From what I understand, many of MT5 parts are shared with MT7. To me, brakes are really dependent on rider preference. I'm probably in the minority in that I prefer SRAM over Shimano. I bought the Highend spec and they came with G2 Ultimates back then.

Ohhh I see, how about the pro10 suspension on the propain? pedal bob, pedal efficiency, etc. I don't have much experience with other rear suspensions but curious about how it feels on fast small bumps and bigger drops, or if it goes through the travel fast etc.

Posted: Jul 21, 2022 at 20:25 Quote
chrsjavr wrote:
daxbox wrote:
chrsjavr wrote:

Ohhh I see, how about the pro10 suspension on the propain? pedal bob, pedal efficiency, etc. I don't have much experience with other rear suspensions but curious about how it feels on fast small bumps and bigger drops, or if it goes through the travel fast etc.

My experience has been exactly the same as Pinkbike's review - https://www.pinkbike.com/news/field-test-review-2022-propain-hugene-is-the-definition-of-balanced.html

O+ FL
Posted: Jul 21, 2022 at 20:45 Quote
daxbox wrote:
chrsjavr wrote:
daxbox wrote:

My experience has been exactly the same as Pinkbike's review - https://www.pinkbike.com/news/field-test-review-2022-propain-hugene-is-the-definition-of-balanced.html

The Newman wheels are quality. As I said before I mostly agree with the review, I don't think the small bump is as big of a deal for me but it's definitely not the plushest bike out there.

Posted: Jul 25, 2022 at 3:48 Quote
I have a set of newmen evolution sl on a different bike and they are great. Not the highest degrees of engagement if that's your thing but other than that they're light, accelerate quickly and have been durable so far. Good investment 9/10 would recommend

Posted: Sep 9, 2022 at 7:22 Quote
Since framesets just became available I've got one on the way. Unfortunately the wait delivery date with the rear shock is the beginning of Nov. Without the shock was quoting 2 weeks.

Posted: Sep 21, 2022 at 16:30 Quote
Looks like quoted delivery dates are conservative. I just got shipping info, frame and shock should be delivered in about a week, a little more than a month ahead of quoted delivery times.

FL
Posted: Sep 30, 2022 at 8:38 Quote
Good to hear that the dates are conservative. I ordered a high-end build a week or so ago and the projected date is late November. I'm hoping to have at least a month on it before ski season starts.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.045807
Mobile Version of Website