Older riders, but not "Old School"

PB Forum :: Freeride & Slopestyle
Older riders, but not "Old School"
O+
Posted: Dec 19, 2008 at 21:52 Quote
Old Guy budget studded tire tip:

Get 1/4" (maybe a bit longer depending on yer tire) roundhead wood screws and bang em into the tire from the inside. Finish off with a couple layers of duct tape.

Just don't lean back.

Posted: Dec 19, 2008 at 22:57 Quote
Yeah, 48 and still sendin' it, 5-6 days a week, 4-5 hours a day on weekends, maybe 2-3 on most weekdays... a lot of nice logging roads, trails, no trails, singletrack, been riding and jumpin' over amazing stuff from the Olympic Peninsula to the AK border for 3 decades, since the '70s back east in VT, Maine, and Quebec... I do freelance computer consulting and IT for $300.00 an hour, so I have a 'fluid' (sic) schedule, most weeks =^P

I idolized Eddie Merckx, did a LOT of cyclo cross in the early '70s, ran Zeus and Masi cyclo cross rigs all over Maine, VT, and Quebec... ran toeclips, down-tube levers and side-pull Campy Record brakes... ran an Ossa Motocross bike for all of the 1970s, learned on the Ossa how to REALLY get out of a bike's way while I still had air under me, if I needed to! BMX in the mid-1970s with my little brother... 30' jumps on our shared K-Mart BMX at commercial construction sites in the hills around our nieghborhood, full of plywood sheets and 8' half culvert pipe pieces...Chro-Mo and mild steel monsters in the early 80's, those were my first fat tire, full rigids (47 lbs) around Mt. Tam, West Marin, Santa Cruz mountains, from Pacifica to Monterey, in the late 70s to late '80's (left NorCal after the Loma Prieta Earthquake).. full rigid and hardtail Cannondales in the 90's, then came fs around 2003 or so... wow, awesome, grin city!

Get-offs, I just roll out if I can, used to try and save the bike always, now just most of the time, heh... MotoX and street riding Harleys since 1975 with a LOT of get-offs helps with the reflexes when the dirty side goes up... coming off a full suspension MTB, whether I'm 20 feet in the air or just slid off a log onto rocks 10' below, is still pretty easy! Pins in both legs and slow outta bed to that first mug of Joe's worth it, no doubt...

Ollies, casing and makin' soft drops twice my height, I learn more every day, often bleeding all over my Knolly V-Tach and my Cove Shocker... I can make a 15' jump with a 15' drop-in, most days... jumps, tabletops, squishies, 10', 12' drops to flat all day long, 8.5" of travel and a 650 lb. spring CCDB help, never had THAT stuff back in the day, and STILL did sick stuff all day long, half the day in the air and on logs... jump, plow, tech it out, five years ago, climbed on a fs Stinky and stayed all day, stayed fs, since then, but never used armor or a helmet until I was 43! 48 now, and its armor and FF helmet, all the way. Good insurance and a wife with a trust fund, lol, and 4 kids who can push my wheelchair if need be, probably sooner than later, but every day above ground's the best day I've ever had, lol! Can't wait for my Giant Glory O frame to arrive, got Deity Dirty Thirty, Cane Creek 110, BMW Veggie Burgers, Marz 888 ATA WC with DM Marz stem, and some Hope V2s to slap on... I've ALWAYS used the most HD stuff I can, do all my own wrenching, always have... at 6'4" and 235 lbs., I run wheelsets like Arrow Racing 36 hole DHX rims, DT Swiss Alpine spokes, brass nipples, Hadley FR 20mm and 12mm thru hubs, Arrow ramped Bite 2.5 tires with DH tubes... THAT's my 'light duty' wheelset! Hope Moto V2s w/203mm vented rotors ONLY, better than my old Mono Ti M6 203mm rotor brakes... way back, Kool-Stop pads were my saviors, and I can't believe I rode cotton SEW-UP cyclo-cross tires with Hi-E hubs and Fiamme Red rims... Jeez, between the BMX and the Chro-Mo stuff, I look at the Hydro-form CAD induced aluminum sculpture I ride now and just shake my scarred head, lol!

'Brakes Only Slow You Down!"

Posted: Dec 19, 2008 at 23:00 Quote
charleshiggins wrote:
Yeah, 48 and still sendin' it, 5-6 days a week, 4-5 hours a day on weekends, maybe 2-3 on most weekdays... a lot of nice logging roads, trails, no trails, singletrack, been riding and jumpin' over amazing stuff from the Olympic Peninsula to the AK border for 3 decades, since the '70s back east in VT, Maine, and Quebec... I do freelance computer consulting and IT for $300.00 an hour, so I have a 'fluid' (sic) schedule, most weeks =^P

I idolized Eddie Merckx, did a LOT of cyclo cross in the early '70s, ran Zeus and Masi cyclo cross rigs all over Maine, VT, and Quebec... ran an Ossa Motocross bike for all of the 1970s, learned on the Ossa how to REALLY get out of a bike's way while I still had air under me, if I needed to! BMX in the mid-1970s with my little brother... 30' jumps on our shared K-Mart BMX at commercial construction sites in the hills around our nieghborhood, full of plywood sheets and 8' half culvert pipe pieces...Chro-Mo and mild steel monsters in the early 80's, those were my first fat tire, full rigids (47 lbs) around Mt. Tam, West Marin to West Marin, Santa Cruz mountains, from Pacifica to Monterey, in the late 70s to late '80's (Loma Prieta Earthquake.. full rigid and hardtail Cannondales in the 90's,

Get-offs, I just roll out if I can, used to try and save the bike always, now just most of the time, heh... MotoX and street riding Harleys since 1975 with a LOT of get-offs helps with the reflexes when the dirty side goes up... coming off a full suspension MTB, whether I'm 20 feet in the air or just slid off a log onto rocks 10' below, is still pretty easy! Pins in both legs and slow outta bed to that first mug of Joe's worth it, no doubt...

Ollies, casing and makin' soft drops twice my height, I learn more every day, often bleeding all over my Knolly V-Tach and my Cove Shocker... I can make a 15' jump with a 15' drop-in, most days... jumps, tabletops, squishies, 10', 12' drops to flat all day long, 8.5" of travel and a 650 lb. spring CCDB help, never had THAT stuff back in the day, and STILL did sick stuff all day long, half the day in the air and on logs... jump, plow, tech it out, five years ago, climbed on a fs Stinky and stayed all day, stayed fs, since then, but never used armor or a helmet until I was 43! 48 now, and its armor and FF helmet, all the way. Good insurance and a wife with a trust fund, lol, and 4 kids who can push my wheelchair if need be, probably sooner than later, but every day above ground's the best day I've ever had, lol! Can't wait for my Giant Glory O frame to arrive, got some Deity Dirty Thirties, Marz 888 ATA WCs, and some Hope V2s to slap on... I've ALWAYS used the most HD stuff I can, do all my own wrenching, always have... at 6'4" and 235 lbs., I run wheelsets like Arrow Racing 36 hole DHX rims, DT Swiss Alpine spokes, brass nipples, Hadley FR 20mm and 12mm thru hubs, Arrow ramped Bite 2.5 tires with DH tubes... THAT's my 'light duty' wheelset! Hope Moto V2s w/203mm vented rotors ONLY, better than my old Mono Ti M6 203mm rotor brakes... way back, Kool-Stop pads were my saviors, and I can't believe I rode cotton SEW-UP cyclo-cross tires with Hi-E hubs and Fiamme Red rims... Jeez, between the BMX and the Chro-Mo stuff, I look at the Hydro-form CAD induced aluminum sculpture I ride now and just shake my scarred head, lol!

My new hero.

Posted: Dec 19, 2008 at 23:26 Quote
Hey, '09 Shocker plus skilled Clyde equals bugs in the teeth grin! I'm sure you already know this, but I'll say it anyway... you are in for an AWESOME spring on that ride, my friend... and it RAILS picnic tables! =^D

Posted: Dec 20, 2008 at 0:30 Quote
northwestdhdad wrote:
charleshiggins wrote:

I idolized Eddie Merckx, did a LOT of cyclo cross in the early '70s, ran Zeus and Masi cyclo cross rigs all over Maine, VT, and Quebec... ran an Ossa Motocross bike for all of the 1970s, learned on the Ossa how to REALLY get out of a bike's way while I still had air under me, if I needed to! BMX in the mid-1970s with my little brother... 30' jumps on our shared K-Mart BMX at commercial construction sites in the hills around our nieghborhood, full of plywood sheets and 8' half culvert pipe pieces...Chro-Mo and mild steel monsters in the early 80's, those were my first fat tire, full rigids (47 lbs) around Mt. Tam, West Marin to West Marin, Santa Cruz mountains, from Pacifica to Monterey, in the late 70s to late '80's (Loma Prieta Earthquake.. full rigid and hardtail Cannondales in the 90's,

Ollies, casing and makin' soft drops twice my height, I learn more every day, often bleeding all over my Knolly V-Tach and my Cove Shocker... I can make a 15' jump with a 15' drop-in, most days... jumps, tabletops, squishies, 10', 12' drops to flat all day long, 8.5" of travel and a 650 lb. spring CCDB help, never had THAT stuff back in the day, and STILL did sick stuff all day long, half the day in the air and on logs... jump, plow, tech it out, five years ago, climbed on a fs Stinky and stayed all day, stayed fs, since then, but never used armor or a helmet until I was 43! 48 now, and its armor and FF helmet, all the way. Good insurance and a wife with a trust fund, lol, and 4 kids who can push my wheelchair if need be, probably sooner than later, but every day above ground's the best day I've ever had, lol! Can't wait for my Giant Glory O frame to arrive, got some Deity Dirty Thirties, Marz 888 ATA WCs, and some Hope V2s to slap on... I've ALWAYS used the most HD stuff I can, do all my own wrenching, always have... at 6'4" and 235 lbs., I run wheelsets like Arrow Racing 36 hole DHX rims, DT Swiss Alpine spokes, brass nipples, Hadley FR 20mm and 12mm thru hubs, Arrow ramped Bite 2.5 tires with DH tubes... THAT's my 'light duty' wheelset! Hope Moto V2s w/203mm vented rotors ONLY, better than my old Mono Ti M6 203mm rotor brakes... way back, Kool-Stop pads were my saviors, and I can't believe I rode cotton SEW-UP cyclo-cross tires with Hi-E hubs and Fiamme Red rims... Jeez, between the BMX and the Chro-Mo stuff, I look at the Hydro-form CAD induced aluminum sculpture I ride now and just shake my scarred head, lol!

My new hero.

I second that motion. Carried.

Posted: Dec 20, 2008 at 3:27 Quote
Oh yeah, almost forgot this one. Two 40 year-olds go for a bike ride...

Views: 6,800    Faves: 23    Comments: 22

Posted: Dec 20, 2008 at 6:13 Quote
You guys are all lucky skiing. I gots to go to Specialized Univ. and drink their kool-aid in Cali. It's one of their fit courses so it should be all right. Too bad I gotta get smoked by those guys that still get to ride. We're looking at -50 wind chill and a high of -15 tomorrow. And yes I am being a baby I know you guys way up north got it rough to but I am not used to this crap.

Posted: Dec 20, 2008 at 6:16 Quote
robholio wrote:

Salute

Posted: Dec 20, 2008 at 6:25 Quote
shondo wrote:
robbie7127 wrote:
Jay came for a demo day and even he couldn't pull huge tricks off them.

Aw man, that's been hashed over and over.... Those jumps at Rabbit were built to be lame and safe to keep the grommatrons from launching themselves into the abyss. Liability issues......

Sorry dude, I haven't commented on them, or in fact seen any comments on them..but I don't tend to lurk in the "grom" areas of the forum lol

If that is the reason I apologise to Mr Hoots.

Posted: Dec 20, 2008 at 6:28 Quote
robholio wrote:

"That sir was sick".....perfect

O+
Posted: Dec 20, 2008 at 8:06 Quote
Here's another thought. Jay Hoots, Wade Simmons, Richie Schley, Elladee Brown, Leslie Tomlinson, Bruce Spicer, Dave Norona. Let's see. The fastest people ever are our age now. Nick Vouilloz(sp?), John Tomac, Tinker, Ned overend, Lance Armstrong for heck's sake.

Heck, I'd say that Tomac, Overend, and Tinker are probably my seniors. I'd say that I will never ride down a hill like Tomac, or up one like the other 2. I'll endeavor to do so, but I'll never get old enough to be that fast.

Posted: Dec 20, 2008 at 8:44 Quote
Hi 37 here.... But I'm on a different end of the spectrum. You couldn't call me an oldschooler because I wasn't around for the old school. I am just getting into freeride mountain biking this year as another activity to do with my grom (13) of a son. So I guess I could be classified (though I hate classification) as an old-newbie-newschool rider. Why didn't anyone tell me mountain biking was so much fun?!?! Last time I tried it was around 1991, hauling my 200lb arse UP rock faces on a 40 lb hardtail in QE park at night with a flashlight taped to my helmet with the snow flying, was NOT my idea of fun!

On the oldschool note, I've been a skateboarder on and off for 30 years... I'm definitely an oldschooler in that department:
Unsecure image, only https images allowed: http://members.shaw.ca/christophish/layback.JPG
As for the holidays??? I'll be hitting Silverstar on the snowboard next week, and picking up some more parts (Juicy 7's most likely) and putting them on my winter build. Happy Holidays everyone!

Posted: Dec 20, 2008 at 8:45 Quote
Nice to see this! Thought I was the only one getting ragged on by the wife daily for being "mentally challenged" and trying to intentionally rack up the medical bills..hehehe!
Grew up old school. Robinson BMX bike on the track and in the streets. Once I hit 21, rode the bar stools instead. The younger guys at work told me about mtn biking and showed up with these wild bikes. I laughed! Then they took me out...wow! Great fun and felt like being "back in the saddle again". Got a Wade Simmons RM7 and hit the ski resorts. That was 2 years ago. Now I run with the 25 year olds and really enjoy it. This gonna sound a bit sappy, but it is literally a new lease on life--NEVER been in better shape and had so much to look forward to after a long day at the shop. Big drops, nasty DH, gaps, flowy single track--I'll do it all as long as it scares me a bitSmile
Would be cool to meet up with anyone in Fernie or further north for a ride. I also wanna try out Tammerack in Boise sometime. Anyone with some time in around those areas that could tolerate to babysit me would be welcome to find me here and make a date. Or if you are intersted what Montana has to offer...I'll lead you around, but you are not allowed to show me up in my backyardWink

Posted: Dec 20, 2008 at 8:50 Quote
OG4LIFE wrote:
Nice to see this! Thought I was the only one getting ragged on by the wife daily for being "mentally challenged" and trying to intentionally rack up the medical bills..hehehe!
Grew up old school. Robinson BMX bike on the track and in the streets. Once I hit 21, rode the bar stools instead. The younger guys at work told me about mtn biking and showed up with these wild bikes. I laughed! Then they took me out...wow! Great fun and felt like being "back in the saddle again". Got a Wade Simmons RM7 and hit the ski resorts. That was 2 years ago. Now I run with the 25 year olds and really enjoy it. This gonna sound a bit sappy, but it is literally a new lease on life--NEVER been in better shape and had so much to look forward to after a long day at the shop. Big drops, nasty DH, gaps, flowy single track--I'll do it all as long as it scares me a bitSmile
Would be cool to meet up with anyone in Fernie or further north for a ride. I also wanna try out Tammerack in Boise sometime. Anyone with some time in around those areas that could tolerate to babysit me would be welcome to find me here and make a date. Or if you are intersted what Montana has to offer...I'll lead you around, but you are not allowed to show me up in my backyardWink

BMX!!! I forgot about that... I did race a little bit as a grom around 1981 on my Factory Kuwahara at the Steveston BMX Track in Richmond, BC. Anyone else race there around then???

I plan on hiting Fernie at least once next summer.... Maybe we can make it work!

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.021625
Mobile Version of Website