Goggles???

Posted: Jul 4, 2009 at 13:46 Quote
heard good things about giros actually but wat i would do is wait for a big event and get goggles then i got a limted edition set of spys for 20 quid

Posted: Jul 21, 2009 at 19:27 Quote
im thinking of getting giro goggles too cuz the site says they have almost no distortion, a problem i have found with my ski goggles. how are oakley crobars as far as distortion and what do outriggers do? (i appoligize if this is a stupid question)

Posted: Jul 21, 2009 at 19:31 Quote
oakley or spy optics

Posted: Jul 27, 2009 at 11:37 Quote
bighit777 wrote:
im thinking of getting giro goggles too cuz the site says they have almost no distortion, a problem i have found with my ski goggles. how are oakley crobars as far as distortion and what do outriggers do? (i appoligize if this is a stupid question)

Outriggers are so the strap fits around the face of the helmet better while keeping optimum pressure of the lens frame to your face...my Fox main pros' have 'em they're an Oakley product tho.

Posted: Jul 29, 2009 at 19:53 Quote
Goggles are goggles. About the only difference is the lens. Make sure to get a thermal lens to avoid fogging and you're good to go.

A $150 set of goggles isn't going to outperform a $50 set of goggles (providing they both have thermal lenses).

O+
Posted: Aug 5, 2009 at 17:52 Quote
I'm looking for some goggles and I need some suggestions... I'd prefer them to be orange as well and I can't find anything that looks half bad... I'm trying to match something up with my helmet which is a Bell Drop (second one from the bottom) which is orange, white, brown, and a hint of blue. I'd like to keep the cost under $120 as well (no more then $150).

Thanks

Posted: Aug 5, 2009 at 18:09 Quote
take a look at smith optics intakes.
http://www.smithoptics.com/Intake_16_694.html?fl=flase

Posted: Aug 5, 2009 at 18:33 Quote
Okay, here's the down-lo on goggles:

Scott are the best value for money. The face foam on Oakleys will last longer and feel plusher and the lenses are better quality, but they are more expensive. Crowbars do feel nice but the O frames are still a good solid performer.
Spy make amazing looking goggles, but the face foam is quite a bit firmer and tends to come apart. They have also had some problems in the past with their lenses de-laminating.

Fox are made under license by Oakley, and are also good value for money, (don't get confused here, Oakley is still the premium product) but the shape of the frame may restrict them from fitting your helmet eye port.

Always take your helmet and make sure the goggles you are looking at will fit in the eye port, and locate comfortably on your face, particularly your nose. This is a common problem.

With regards to lenses:
The 'rainbow' or iridium lens is very pretty, and does help with visual clarity in high glare conditions. It also scratches easily which is a nuisance to look through as it distracts your vision.

Different coloured clear lenses are designed to work differently in specific light conditions by enhancing certain colours and creating greater contrast between light and dark.
For example, yellow lenses will work well in foggy or very low light ie cloudy conditions.
Blue and rose lenses are good all round, especially where the light is changeable like dappled sun/shade or the scenery is very monotone.

Go for a single layer, anti-fog treated lens. Dual layer lenses achieve better anti-fog properties but will usually distort your vision. Only clean anti-fog treated lenses with water and then a soft cloth as anything else may affect the coating.

To remove a lens, pull the frame away from it, starting at the top centre. You will notice little lugs where it clips in. To replace, it it usually easiest to start at the nose arch as this area is stiffer an the lugs located closest together.

Hope this helps.

O+
Posted: Aug 5, 2009 at 19:30 Quote
em-j wrote:
Okay, here's the down-lo on goggles:

Scott are the best value for money. The face foam on Oakleys will last longer and feel plusher and the lenses are better quality, but they are more expensive. Crowbars do feel nice but the O frames are still a good solid performer.
Spy make amazing looking goggles, but the face foam is quite a bit firmer and tends to come apart. They have also had some problems in the past with their lenses de-laminating.

Fox are made under license by Oakley, and are also good value for money, (don't get confused here, Oakley is still the premium product) but the shape of the frame may restrict them from fitting your helmet eye port.

Always take your helmet and make sure the goggles you are looking at will fit in the eye port, and locate comfortably on your face, particularly your nose. This is a common problem.

With regards to lenses:
The 'rainbow' or iridium lens is very pretty, and does help with visual clarity in high glare conditions. It also scratches easily which is a nuisance to look through as it distracts your vision.

Different coloured clear lenses are designed to work differently in specific light conditions by enhancing certain colours and creating greater contrast between light and dark.
For example, yellow lenses will work well in foggy or very low light ie cloudy conditions.
Blue and rose lenses are good all round, especially where the light is changeable like dappled sun/shade or the scenery is very monotone.

Go for a single layer, anti-fog treated lens. Dual layer lenses achieve better anti-fog properties but will usually distort your vision. Only clean anti-fog treated lenses with water and then a soft cloth as anything else may affect the coating.

To remove a lens, pull the frame away from it, starting at the top centre. You will notice little lugs where it clips in. To replace, it it usually easiest to start at the nose arch as this area is stiffer an the lugs located closest together.

Hope this helps.

That's awesome! Now I can make a much better, informed decision in getting myself some goggles!

O+
Posted: Aug 5, 2009 at 19:32 Quote
jbloch37 wrote:
take a look at smith optics intakes.
http://www.smithoptics.com/Intake_16_694.html?fl=flase

I'm liking those a lot! Beer

Posted: Aug 6, 2009 at 7:38 Quote
ive tried oakley crowbars... love em.
and blur (o'neal) B1s.. u know what the difference is? the air flow...
my head gets dam hot nowadays.. oakleys rule...

Posted: Aug 6, 2009 at 7:50 Quote
http://dragonalliance.com/products/view/dx-powder_blueion

i have these dragon goggles i love them so comfy and dont fog up at all just maybe get a different lense

Posted: Aug 6, 2009 at 14:39 Quote
Pitcrew wrote:
Fox is owned by oakley. SO anything fox has oakley quality. I bought the fox main goggles at a atv dealer for like $40.

Beer

ya, they're basically 25$ pair of crowbars, manufactured by oakley, full range of interchangeable lenses, HDO like oakleys, oakley tearoffs even work no problem with the fox goggles. Pimp

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.019652
Mobile Version of Website