Powered by Outside

Official Cut off your finger with Disc Brakes Thread.

PB Forum :: Freeride & Slopestyle
Official Cut off your finger with Disc Brakes Thread.
Posted: Jun 10, 2008 at 13:03 Quote
i ripped the nail off when i was cleaning my disks last summer, not fun, two stitches and even with the freezing crap it still hurt like hell. sorry no pic though

Posted: Jun 10, 2008 at 13:06 Quote
it's actually pretty common. a guy i worked with in calgary had a slightly stubbed finger from it, my boss has sliced it, and i did it two years ago:
i was working on a bike in the shop that was clamped to the stand by the seatpost (common arrangement, obviously). I was centering the caliper, so i gave the front wheel a good hard spin, and the bike's seatpost slipped out of the frame. as the bike was falling to the ground i instinctively reached out for it and grabbed it, managing to pretty much grab a hand full of rotor and spokes. the rotor gave me a nice, deep slice to the knuckle, but the worst part was that the bike kinda flopped around and bounced as it fell all awkwardly, so my finger was being pulled and pushed around in there. i ended up with one deep cut and a few smaller nicks.
sharp little buggers.

Posted: Jun 10, 2008 at 13:11 Quote
i have never cut the whole finger but i have gone through the nail 2 times, it hurts and under you nail bleeds alot

O+
Posted: Jun 10, 2008 at 17:26 Quote
blackXLabel13 wrote:
what happens when you cut your finger off? do they literally sew the other end of your finger back on and just hope u get the use of it back?

i cut my left index finger off with a tablesaw right before the last knuckle to your fingernail. the put pins in your bone and sew the rest up... it sucks! imaginatively i'd much rather have my finger cut off by a table saw than a chainring and chain! that sh!t sounds like it'd fuk'n hurt!

Posted: Jun 10, 2008 at 17:38 Quote
I did the same exact thing but on a dirtbike. I was riding my dirtbike and fell off once. Forgot the bike was in second gear and didn't shift it back. Sat down on the seat, pull the grip back to give it gas and I flew off the back of the bike and my hand went inside the chain and got mangled. Broke all the bones in my first two fingers all the way up past my top knuckles. One finger twisted backwards just about ripped off while the other bleeding badly. Needed 2 surgeries, a pin set in my top knuckle of my first finger and approximately 3 weeks in the hospital. I have some HUGE scars on my left hand that will never disappear now. Only 9 years old sucked hard ass. Only good thing was I got a lot of gift baskets and missed school! =)Please don't ask for pictures we didn't take any because I didn't want to see my hand in that condition ever again.

Posted: Jun 10, 2008 at 17:41 Quote
i nearly did it luckily the wheel wasnt moving very fast so it just hurt and gave me a cut but i have a mate who says his brother has cut some of his finger off in his disc.

O+
Posted: Jun 10, 2008 at 19:08 Quote
nfiorito wrote:
it's actually pretty common. a guy i worked with in calgary had a slightly stubbed finger from it, my boss has sliced it, and i did it two years ago:
i was working on a bike in the shop that was clamped to the stand by the seatpost (common arrangement, obviously). I was centering the caliper, so i gave the front wheel a good hard spin, and the bike's seatpost slipped out of the frame. as the bike was falling to the ground i instinctively reached out for it and grabbed it, managing to pretty much grab a hand full of rotor and spokes. the rotor gave me a nice, deep slice to the knuckle, but the worst part was that the bike kinda flopped around and bounced as it fell all awkwardly, so my finger was being pulled and pushed around in there. i ended up with one deep cut and a few smaller nicks.
sharp little buggers.

I've had a seatpost slip out too . . Not fun at all. Luckily, I had a bash on it, because it didn't have a fork on at the time. It landed on the e.13 bashguard and it's fine!

Posted: Jun 14, 2008 at 9:41 Quote
Yeah i was pulling my bike outta the back of my truck and spun my wheel no knowing about it i grapbed the disc and cut the finger fairly deep

Keep it covered and clean , and keep riding its all good

Posted: Jun 17, 2008 at 11:55 Quote
Just sliced my little finger whislt fixing my disc brake.

Quite deep. duno if i need sticthes or not. :S

Posted: Jul 1, 2008 at 22:14 Quote
I just built my first fixed gear, and as i was tensioning the extremely tight chain, my finger got sucked in between the chain and the teeth of the sprocket, and due to the momentum from the whole wheel, did a full rotation... when it came out the other side, the tip of my finger was severed, and the nail completely demolished i'll get some photos up soon

Posted: Jul 1, 2008 at 22:22 Quote
Joshboy2 wrote:
I just built my first fixed gear, and as i was tensioning the extremely tight chain, my finger got sucked in between the chain and the teeth of the sprocket, and due to the momentum from the whole wheel, did a full rotation... when it came out the other side, the tip of my finger was severed, and the nail completely demolished i'll get some photos up soon
\
lol. way to be bro. "" shiit i cut off my finger......better get my camera so i can upload pics on pb."

I'm the same way, everybody on msn saw my broken leg

O+
Posted: Jul 1, 2008 at 22:25 Quote
Joshboy2 wrote:
haha i love how pinkbike comes before the pain

Posted: Jul 1, 2008 at 22:27 Quote
jeff-hurd wrote:
how the hell do you get ur finger in da disk, wen ur riding? :s
Yep, it usually happens when people try rotor grabs.
Seriously though, READ before you write.

Posted: Jul 1, 2008 at 22:27 Quote
Joshboy2 wrote:

hahahah i did the same thing it sucked but it was winter and about 15 degrees so i couldnt feel it anyways

Posted: Jul 1, 2008 at 22:36 Quote
jeff-hurd wrote:
drew44 wrote:
eurotune2 wrote:

i 2nd that...?

pretty sure the bike was on its side or the wheels werent touching the ground, wheel is sipinning + finger in disk= negative inserted finger
but why the f*ck would you insert ur finger in a spinning disc?

maybe he was doing a tire-touch-table-top

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.017581
Mobile Version of Website