Pinkbike will be undergoing scheduled maintenance on May 29 at 9pm PST for up to 6 hours. We apologize for any inconvenience caused during this time.
Powered by Outside

Hope Pro 2 Hubs

PB Forum :: Dirt Jumping & Street
Hope Pro 2 Hubs
Posted: Sep 3, 2008 at 12:38 Quote
melonhead1145 wrote:
right i need some help. im going to buy a hope pro 2 hub for my rear, i know the measurements i need, 150mmX12mm but on chainreactioncycles.com there are numbers with h's after them 36h or 32h. what do they mean?
heres a link to the page http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=7568
many thanks
spokes, 36h = 36 holes for spokes, same applies for 32h.

Posted: Jan 1, 2009 at 14:47 Quote
just taken mine of my bike and ordered some new 2009 saints
the frount 20mms are ok but i would not get another as thy cost far to much for a lump of aluminim 2 cheap bearings and a set of spacers wiht retaining rings
list of probelems had primarily with the rear
bearings broken
pawls broken
pawl springs broken
freewheel twisted
adapters stuck in hub
end section of freewheel totlay stripped of casset groves now only allowing use of single speed
free wheel locking up causing a painfull injury involving pedal studs my knee and my crouch (make what you will of this)
as result freehub twisted
as result bits that pawls fit into misshapen and pawls sometimes fail to return to original position preventing hub from engaging
axle potentchialy bent the 10mm bolt in on rear hub after hub failign to engage and casing lip on small dirt jump
in total the cost of replacing all of this lot got rediculous as you can gess
do not get a hope pro 2 if you have a powerfull pedal stroke or have aggresive riding style
id personaly from now on avoid them as ive trashed mine in a year
thoguh ive had a mono xc hub for over 3 years now and not had a single probelm with it and th bulb ive been using on my downhill bike has been brillant just recon hope have cut back on the pro 2's and as a result there quality has dropped

Posted: Jan 1, 2009 at 15:01 Quote
large-ugly-greeny wrote:
just taken mine of my bike and ordered some new 2009 saints
the frount 20mms are ok but i would not get another as thy cost far to much for a lump of aluminim 2 cheap bearings and a set of spacers wiht retaining rings
list of probelems had primarily with the rear
bearings broken
pawls broken
pawl springs broken
freewheel twisted
adapters stuck in hub
end section of freewheel totlay stripped of casset groves now only allowing use of single speed
free wheel locking up causing a painfull injury involving pedal studs my knee and my crouch (make what you will of this)
as result freehub twisted
as result bits that pawls fit into misshapen and pawls sometimes fail to return to original position preventing hub from engaging
axle potentchialy bent the 10mm bolt in on rear hub after hub failign to engage and casing lip on small dirt jump
in total the cost of replacing all of this lot got rediculous as you can gess
do not get a hope pro 2 if you have a powerfull pedal stroke or have aggresive riding style
id personaly from now on avoid them as ive trashed mine in a year
thoguh ive had a mono xc hub for over 3 years now and not had a single probelm with it and th bulb ive been using on my downhill bike has been brillant just recon hope have cut back on the pro 2's and as a result there quality has dropped

WOWEek that almost sounds too bad to be true... did that much actualy go wrong?

Posted: Jan 1, 2009 at 15:07 Quote
well, as bad as that is. i wouldnt say dont buy them if youre powerful?? i run them, along with four of my friends, and as much as im not the most powerful rider out there, one of my friends is unbelievably powerful! he has been running the hub for two years now and no problems. MANY snapped chains (even brand new ones Big Grin ) but no problems with the hub (as of now) youve had some rotten luck!! hope the saints run better for you.

Posted: Jan 1, 2009 at 15:28 Quote
i wouldn't say im the most powerfull rider eithr but having twisted the freewheel and stripped the end of the freehub off there not storng enough for aggressive riding
but i suppose its peoples riding style and realy it up to you though if anyone is going to get one now at least please get a steel freewheel as trust m whn th aluminum one givs up the ghost its a apserlute bitch to get the casset of specialy if lik i did you have a shimano carrier style casset

Posted: Jan 1, 2009 at 15:32 Quote
WOWEek that almost sounds too bad to be true... did that much actualy go wrong?[/Quote]

im affraid it did im relay disapointed if im honest as ive got hope brakes and there brillant jsut a shame they did not build these hubs to the same standard
theamoutn fo things wrong now and the amount of time i would have to spend in rebuilding the hubs i saw it as cheaper to get a new saint reduced for £88 than fork out that huch trying to get it fixxed
ive apporched hope asking about warranty as i do not see the hub as fit for purpose so i will try aqnd gt thm fixxed or repalced throguh the warrnty scheme btu if they do the normal thing of well it was you i will probebly jsut bin the rar as its completly f**ked now

Posted: Jan 2, 2009 at 11:01 Quote
large-ugly-greeny wrote:
WOWEek that almost sounds too bad to be true... did that much actualy go wrong?

im affraid it did im relay disapointed if im honest as ive got hope brakes and there brillant jsut a shame they did not build these hubs to the same standard
theamoutn fo things wrong now and the amount of time i would have to spend in rebuilding the hubs i saw it as cheaper to get a new saint reduced for £88 than fork out that huch trying to get it fixxed
ive apporched hope asking about warranty as i do not see the hub as fit for purpose so i will try aqnd gt thm fixxed or repalced throguh the warrnty scheme btu if they do the normal thing of well it was you i will probebly jsut bin the rar as its completly f**ked now[/Quote]

do you think its possible that you got a unusualy messed up hub, because every company is goona have somthing every once in a while that goes wrong. not every single hub is going to be pirfict. do you think you just got hopes one in a million messed up hub?

Posted: Jan 2, 2009 at 11:05 Quote
building wheels seems hard..... i cant do it Cry i need to pay someone

Posted: Jan 2, 2009 at 11:07 Quote
if the hope pre 2 were quiet no one would have one

Posted: Jan 2, 2009 at 11:14 Quote
azonicryder55555 wrote:
building wheels seems hard..... i cant do it Cry i need to pay someone

its not particulaly challenging you just need a technique to doing it and a way of knowing were each spoke goes unfortuatly though you need to build a few wheels before that will start to come to you and untill then the best technique i found was alot of swearing and cursing the bas*er fu*cker but its worth the try as it saves a fair bit of money and is a usefull skill

Posted: Jan 2, 2009 at 11:20 Quote
azonicryder55555 wrote:
thats not true. They have great craftsmen ship, great bearings, they come in beautiful colors, and their are light weight. The noise is just a plus.

O+
Posted: Jan 2, 2009 at 11:28 Quote
too many people here worry about the sound. sure its cool. but id rather have something durable and light (especially light) over something thats just loud (aka flea jumper)

Posted: Jan 2, 2009 at 11:30 Quote
if peopel realy want a loud hub i will sell them a shimano deore with attached air horn £120 same cost as a pro 2 but a hell of a lot louder Smile

Posted: Jan 2, 2009 at 11:38 Quote
suckafreedmr wrote:
azonicryder55555 wrote:
thats not true. They have great craftsmen ship, great bearings, they come in beautiful colors, and their are light weight. The noise is just a plus.
not from what i hear

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.020432
Mobile Version of Website