Powered by Outside

how to remove a crank without a crank puller??

PB Forum :: Mechanics' Lounge
how to remove a crank without a crank puller??
Posted: Jan 22, 2009 at 8:47 Quote
i am looking to change to single speed and i was wondering if i took my old chain ring off ( 3 plate) could i put a standard bmx one back on ( would it matter bout BB size?) Thanks oh and btw i used a hammer once and it didnt damage my crank at all

Posted: Apr 16, 2009 at 15:58 Quote
WasabiJim wrote:
its a valid question. its only held on by a single bolt so you'd think un-screw it, give it a wiggle and disco!

i have self-extracting bolts on one bike - nice!
on the other bike i use foot long lump of 4x2 and a hummer

now im sure theres more conventional ways of getting cranks out than using big 4x4's Razz
i used an hour of time half a can of wd40 hot water hammer wood tryed to compress over side to move it and still isnt out Madder but im sure ill get there

Posted: Apr 17, 2009 at 6:04 Quote
The last crank puller I purchased was something like $12.00...........sounds easier than the mess you're going through.

Posted: Apr 17, 2009 at 6:06 Quote
give it loads of verbal abuse and make it feel very small and it will come off all by itself.

let me quote a Scotsman on a silly spaceship: you have to use the right tool for the right job

Posted: Apr 17, 2009 at 6:07 Quote
i jsut undo all the bolts and go for a slow litle ride around the road till the fall off easy as

Posted: Apr 17, 2009 at 6:08 Quote
well when i use to be stupid and did not know they needed one i just took the bolt out and kinda wiggled it off

Posted: Apr 17, 2009 at 6:27 Quote
WasabiJim wrote:
and a hummer

I don't know what "hummer" means in Australia, but using one to get something off is a whole different kind of website in North America...

Posted: Apr 17, 2009 at 6:48 Quote
Ox-Bikes wrote:
WasabiJim wrote:
and a hummer

I don't know what "hummer" means in Australia, but using one to get something off is a whole different kind of website in North America...
LOLBeer

Posted: Apr 17, 2009 at 6:52 Quote
you can use a ti rod puller it is a big fork about 1 1/2 feet long you put it in between the bb and crank arm and push down that is how we do it at the shop if the crank arm is striped

Posted: Apr 17, 2009 at 7:22 Quote
e-gage wrote:
WasabiJim wrote:
its a valid question. its only held on by a single bolt so you'd think un-screw it, give it a wiggle and disco!

now im sure theres more conventional ways of getting cranks out than using big 4x4's Razz
i used an hour of time half a can of wd40 hot water hammer wood tryed to compress over side to move it and still isnt out Madder but im sure ill get there
how hard is it to jst buy a puller?
lidl is shit yeh, but i sawin paper a cycle kit for £25, it comes in box has everything puller chain whip and tool, i paid like 23 for a tool and whip alone.
its not worth f*ckin up ur crankset for like £8

Posted: Apr 17, 2009 at 7:24 Quote
you could use a rubber mallet

Posted: Apr 17, 2009 at 7:44 Quote
on my old POS bike before i had self extracting bolts, not saying yours is a POS just that mine was, i used a tire iron and a cloth to pry it off slowly and not scratch the frame or crank, just got to go around and around on the pry points, try not to pry on the BB if you can help it, a rubber mallet is the only other suggestion, but blunt objects are a little to neanderthalish and you have more control if you just pry at it

Posted: Apr 20, 2009 at 0:53 Quote
devon2493 wrote:
e-gage wrote:
WasabiJim wrote:

how hard is it to jst buy a puller?
lidl is shit yeh, but i sawin paper a cycle kit for £25, it comes in box has everything puller chain whip and tool, i paid like 23 for a tool and whip alone.
its not worth f*ckin up ur crankset for like £8

a crank puller wouldnt of work because of the alloy spacer and the cromo spindle had elctrolysis corosion which ment it had stuck to the tube spacer so couldnt get it out but i soaked it in some chemical which loosened it but was my fault coz when put it back in the case hardening at slightly worn so now there is bit on spindle where there is no case hardningFrown

Posted: Apr 20, 2009 at 3:01 Quote
Grab a Jeremy Salute

... sorry Grab a rubber mallet...

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.021976
Mobile Version of Website