Powered by Outside

Hayes HFX 9 or Avid Juicy 5s?

PB Forum :: Bikes, Parts, and Gear
Hayes HFX 9 or Avid Juicy 5s?
Posted: Oct 28, 2007 at 14:35 Quote
Ive ran both for awhile now, And I cant really say alot of bad things about the Hayes. As in they felt the same for the 2 years I rode them. Before I had HFXs on my last bike, on had them on the bike before that. The only problem with those I had was that I accidentally broke the little plastic tab on the bottom of the reservoir, so they bled them selves when I hit the brakes, but that was my fault. Other wise I had no problems.
I no have Juicy 5s, and they feel a lot stronger, but the modulation sometimes just doesnt feel consistent. So I feel that Ill need to bleed them soon. So get the HFXs if you want a little weaker, but more reliable, and get the Juicys if you want stronger, but require a bit more work.

Posted: Nov 1, 2007 at 10:54 Quote
JUICY SEVENS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! haha. now THATS a brake

Posted: Nov 1, 2007 at 11:04 Quote
Working at a shop i have seen a lot more Hayes in with problems then Avids. leaky cylinders, calipers, and what not. Hayes also have a habbit of dialing them selves out. (the leaver reach adjustment screw). I haven't seen a pair of avids in with said problems. The Juicy Five is the same brake as the 7 just with out the adjustment dial. So it's a killer brake. Tones of power, great modulation.

Posted: Nov 1, 2007 at 11:05 Quote
Well both of the companies are good, Hayes and Avid!I'm using Hayes 9 currently, and they are all that i need for my riding, that's DH, they brake very good, they don't overheat...But in future i'm looking to buy Juicy 7 carbon Smile .Cheers

FL
Posted: Nov 5, 2007 at 10:09 Quote
trekrules wrote:
Hayes is a motocycle company and they do mtb disc brakes for 10 years.Also for the ones that say Hayes is crap or suck.Before Avid or other disc brakes where for bringing there disc brakes,you could not get better than a set off hayes hfx9 disc brakes.Also say that to Sam hill or other riders that are sponsord by hayes.Not to mention that the hayes brakes has more World and world cup titles under it's belt than any disc brake.Hayes maybe a old company but they still compete with other brands with no problem.

Avid is a young company for Disc brakes and make good disc brakes both for Mechanic and hydraulic.

sam hill is sponsored by avid... not many DH racers ride hayes anymore... its all avid, magura and shimano... the hayes mag is out dated, im eager to see what the stroker is like though.

Posted: Nov 5, 2007 at 11:28 Quote
orangepatriot66 wrote:
Sorry for my dumbassness in saying formulas. Go for the Avids, if they're good enough for Peaty, they're good enough for you. Big Grin

Lol, Peaty ran hope minis when he was riding for orange and said he only broke once in the 2005wc in Fort William.

Posted: Nov 5, 2007 at 11:33 Quote
avid juicy 7s f*ck 5s

Posted: Nov 5, 2007 at 11:42 Quote
dylaine420 wrote:
avid juicy 7s f*ck 5s

Theres no difference between the two, the juicy seven has a red lever reach adjustment knob which can also be adjusted as a standard barrel adjuster and an allen key, the five has the same barrel adjuster minus the flashy knob....

Both calipers are the same and also the master cyclinders.

Posted: Nov 5, 2007 at 11:44 Quote
hayes 9s. ive ridden both and hayes are more powerful, reliable and easier to set up.

Posted: Nov 5, 2007 at 11:47 Quote
rottenpeach wrote:
dylaine420 wrote:
avid juicy 7s f*ck 5s

Theres no difference between the two, the juicy seven has a red lever reach adjustment knob which can also be adjusted as a standard barrel adjuster and an allen key, the five has the same barrel adjuster minus the flashy knob....

u gota have flashyness mann

Posted: Nov 5, 2007 at 11:48 Quote
go for the juicy 5s ... actually, go for MY juicy 5s! i've had both and am a shop mech and i think i can say that the feel of a well setup hayes 9 is nicer, but they do tend to require more maintenance on average than the avids. that being said i have had a set of hayes 9s that i haven't touched other than pads for 3 years that still feel good. maybe it's inconsistency in manufacturing? some pairs of brakes (any brand) just seem to be cursed with problems no matter what you do.

Posted: Nov 5, 2007 at 12:02 Quote
dylaine420 wrote:
rottenpeach wrote:
dylaine420 wrote:
avid juicy 7s f*ck 5s

u gota have flashyness mann

lol I know my mates just had a pair, I said to him put the adjuster on the bottom of the lever so it doesnt break during a crash(and so it doesn't put my plastic crappy mechanical lever to shame whilst I wait for my new juicy 5 to arrive as I popped my old front diatech=[ ), the rear a has more of a lever pull than the front the adjuster does nothing, just makes the lever go further out.

Posted: Nov 9, 2007 at 9:20 Quote
ok people hope are better than all they have made breaks for ages and they are good at it did some body say hayes have more world cups under there belt dont hope or as most pros run avid or hope there are not other good once

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.028599
Mobile Version of Website