need help to manual

PB Forum :: Freeride & Slopestyle
need help to manual
Posted: Mar 16, 2008 at 16:13 Quote
creamsoda89 wrote:
then he's not lifting and shifting his weight back properly.

i'm a skinny chinese dude, i'm 5'9" and weigh 125, i can pull up almost any bike into a manual on flat. p2s? check. cross-country hardtails with long chainstays? check. that was my last bike. friends' downhill bikes? check. even my friend's (skinna) little brother's norco six with 24 inch double tracks and shocks set up for a little 80 pound kid... check.

incidentally, the hardest bike i've ever attempted to manual is my friend's medium hardrock with a 120mm stem, the long stem really screws you up. so if you have a long stem, get a short stubby one and it'll help.
you forgot to say (check).
anyways I think what everyone has said just practice that balance point and you will get it down.
it has taken me about two months of trying to find my balance pionte on a my FS,I also think it helped allot to ride my b-laws uni but keep it going and you'll achieve.

Posted: Mar 17, 2008 at 7:27 Quote
get really good at catwalks/wheelies. while you're doing one, stand up and try manual for as long as you can. it's easier to manual out of a wheelie cuz you're already at a good point of balance. i found this helped a lot. also, getting good at catwalks and stuff teaches you how to use your brakes for balance.

Posted: Mar 17, 2008 at 8:26 Quote
i have a 35mm racface stem

Posted: Mar 17, 2008 at 8:31 Quote
codyloveskona wrote:
well how nice but whats that got to do with manuals

Posted: Mar 17, 2008 at 8:32 Quote
hendu wrote:
codyloveskona wrote:
well how nice but whats that got to do with manuals

a shorter stem helps for manuals, at least in my experience with 40-odd bikes.

Posted: Mar 17, 2008 at 8:38 Quote
well iv had 40 odd stesm and i dont find that unless you have like a extemded like xc stem then it dont matter

Posted: Mar 19, 2008 at 9:16 Quote
I need help to manual

Ive been trying for about 2 weeks now, i can get to sort of the right position i think but 50% of the time i loop out, and the other 50% i try to keep the manual, pull the brake very slightly and the front comes down. I dunno what it is, my brakes not even strong and i tell myself not to pull too hard!

Im tempted to make a video to get tips but i cant be arsed if ppl are gonna take the piss lol, just wanna get my skills up. Sort of been riding on and off for about 4 years but want to get into it properly now!

Posted: Mar 19, 2008 at 9:35 Quote
hendu wrote:
well iv had 40 odd stesm and i dont find that unless you have like a extemded like xc stem then it dont matter

i said 40-odd *different* bikes, not ~40mm stems.

longest stem i rode was 120mm, shortest was around 38mm. one interesting setup was my friend's little bro's norco six with 24" doubletracks and a truvativ XR XC stem.

one of the hardest bikes to pull up into a manual so far was an old fully supercycle with a ridiculously soft back with no rebound... once i got it up there i just flipped over because i put so much effort into getting the front end up. it was a long bike so i had almost no room for pumping.

Posted: Mar 19, 2008 at 9:35 Quote
ReubenUK- wrote:
I need help to manual

Ive been trying for about 2 weeks now, i can get to sort of the right position i think but 50% of the time i loop out, and the other 50% i try to keep the manual, pull the brake very slightly and the front comes down. I dunno what it is, my brakes not even strong and i tell myself not to pull too hard!

Im tempted to make a video to get tips but i cant be arsed if ppl are gonna take the piss lol, just wanna get my skills up. Sort of been riding on and off for about 4 years but want to get into it properly now!

practice. and watch lots of videos with manuals... as well as beginners in various stages of manualing skill. also, try to find a lower balance point, put your arms straight out and butt as far back as you can... low manuals are more stable than high manuals.

edit: 2 weeks... is not much time at all. give it more time. i've found that practicing in the dark and on a flat grass field helps take away inhibitions, mindblocks and such because 1) you can't see the ground very well, giving you a sense of vertigo (kind of a distorted perception of balance) and 2) you're not nearly as afraid to fall on your back into grass than pavement.

Posted: Mar 19, 2008 at 10:20 Quote
i can get my wheel up and am gettin there but my main problem is my bike has a habit of going off to the left?? any ideas? thanks

Posted: Mar 19, 2008 at 11:47 Quote
Cool thanks for the tips! I shot a clip of myself on my driveway earlier as i was just curious of the angles i was getting when trying to manual:

http://s17.photobucket.com/albums/b85/Rich1275/?action=view&current=DSCN2590.flv

Ive done alot better ones but its interetsting for me to watch. Ive realised that i need to put my ass alot further down to the wheel, so tried it but wasnt paying attention and ran in to my car haha!

I think id be alot happier if my rear brake wasnt so shit, ill keep practiceing anyways!1Book

Posted: Mar 19, 2008 at 12:03 Quote
ReubenUK- wrote:
Cool thanks for the tips! I shot a clip of myself on my driveway earlier as i was just curious of the angles i was getting when trying to manual:

http://s17.photobucket.com/albums/b85/Rich1275/?action=view&current=DSCN2590.flv

Ive done alot better ones but its interetsting for me to watch. Ive realised that i need to put my ass alot further down to the wheel, so tried it but wasnt paying attention and ran in to my car haha!

I think id be alot happier if my rear brake wasnt so shit, ill keep practiceing anyways!1Book
your pulling your rear brake FAR to much let off it and get your ass over the rear axel more and youll be set Smile just get to know your balance point Smile
sorry for the slow come back im re-building a wheel lol Big Grin

Posted: Mar 19, 2008 at 12:08 Quote
Ha i built the wheels up for that bike last week, was my first time took me ages lol!

I dont get my back brake, i hardly pull it at all, yet it just bites and scews me up. I might try and give it a bleed and some new pads as I need to be able to feather it really and cant get that out of how it is atm!

Posted: Mar 19, 2008 at 12:32 Quote
ReubenUK- wrote:
Ha i built the wheels up for that bike last week, was my first time took me ages lol!

I dont get my back brake, i hardly pull it at all, yet it just bites and scews me up. I might try and give it a bleed and some new pads as I need to be able to feather it really and cant get that out of how it is atm!
lol dont use it Smile use your weight, so instead of brakeing hump the bar (shuffle your weight forward)

Posted: Apr 14, 2008 at 10:36 Quote
Here's a "how to manual" video that might help you

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.023735
Mobile Version of Website