Why did they stop making the OLD JACKALS!

PB Forum :: Santa Cruz
Why did they stop making the OLD JACKALS!
Posted: Dec 9, 2008 at 14:30 Quote
mattdgray wrote:
Why did they stop i have just got the money to get one know i cant find a new one any were (the frame only)

because it was ugly as hell

Posted: Dec 9, 2008 at 14:32 Quote
vincentallard wrote:
mattdgray wrote:
Why did they stop i have just got the money to get one know i cant find a new one any were (the frame only)

their pro riders wouldn't even ride the old jackals even while they were still out. Kirt Voreis (the guy behind the Jackal) and Jamie Goldman had revised jackals for the last two years that were much lighter and tighter and allowed them to do better tricks easier.

Posted: Dec 9, 2008 at 14:36 Quote
jv86416 wrote:
vincentallard wrote:
mattdgray wrote:

their pro riders wouldn't even ride the old jackals even while they were still out. Kirt Voreis (the guy behind the Jackal) and Jamie Goldman had revised jackals for the last two years that were much lighter and tighter and allowed them to do better tricks easier.
Prototyping is pretty common for a bike company that does not revise their frame models yearly. The old Jackal is almost 4 years old, so this makes sense. Has nothing to do with the aesthetic.

Posted: Dec 9, 2008 at 14:40 Quote
b0cephus wrote:
jv86416 wrote:
vincentallard wrote:

Prototyping is pretty common for a bike company that does not revise their frame models yearly. The old Jackal is almost 4 years old, so this makes sense. Has nothing to do with the aesthetic.

i never said it had anything to do with aesthetics. santa cruz knew that their jackal actually wasn't built to be competitive with other DJ/street frames and they needed to fix that. I was just trying to say that even santa cruz's own riders didn't like the jackal. so much in fact that they convinced santa cruz to make them a different hardtail.

O+
Posted: Dec 9, 2008 at 16:32 Quote
jv86416 wrote:
the weight is going to be more than one pound. you could notice the old jackals weight so much. the old jackals rode really nicely but it was way to overbuilt unless you are a hacker. weight to a dirt jumper is just as important as weight to XC rider. the less weight, the easier it is to throw around and to tricks especially like tailwhips.

well put... my STP is somewhere around the 27 pound mark... just because one rides hard, doesn't mean they should settle for a bike that handles like a shopping cart cause of weight restrictions...

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.012515
Mobile Version of Website