Powered by Outside

silent or clicky hubs, what do you ride?

PB Forum :: Dirt Jumping & Street
silent or clicky hubs, what do you ride?
Posted: Nov 3, 2007 at 16:07 Quote
Wow, I'm suprised how many tools have posted loud is good because it eqauls better engagement. The amount of engagement is what affecfts HOW MANY clicks the are in 1 revolution. How LOUD it is depends on how hard the pawls are hitting the hub body. For ex. A white industries 36 point engagement freewheel is way louder than a Try-all 108 point engagement freewheel, however, due to the amount of clicks in the Try-all, it just sounds like a hum since you can't hear each distinct click and the white industry is many distinct clicks.

Posted: Nov 3, 2007 at 16:14 Quote
there we go

i9's are still sex to the eyes, hands, ears, and maybe tongue if you like them enough

Posted: Nov 3, 2007 at 16:21 Quote
i have a ringle dj hub. people say its loud but the hub on the rear i used to have was just as loud. it was an unnamed 15 point engagement hub that i degreased and re lubed with wd40

Posted: Nov 3, 2007 at 16:28 Quote
ryanblunt wrote:
i have a ringle dj hub. people say its loud but the hub on the rear i used to have was just as loud. it was an unnamed 15 point engagement hub that i degreased and re lubed with wd40

I love how you degreased your hub than lubed it with a degreaser! what did you use to degrease it?

Posted: Nov 3, 2007 at 16:33 Quote
CoasterAddict wrote:
ryanblunt wrote:

I love how you degreased your hub than lubed it with a degreaser! what did you use to degrease it?

huh? i stripped it and degreased the pawls etc then lubed with wd40. ye its weird though. wd40 is non polar so will degrease. i used it to lubricate hub again to prevent rusting etc. check the wd40 website

Posted: Nov 3, 2007 at 16:33 Quote
CoasterAddict wrote:
ryanblunt wrote:

i used white spirit to degrease

Posted: Nov 3, 2007 at 16:40 Quote
Hi,this may sound really dumb,but can someone explain to me what the clicks actually are and what pawls are?I have ridden bikes all my life and have often wondered what the hell that clicky noise is in the hub,and have noticed that some bikes are louder than others,also what are the points of engagement?

Posted: Nov 3, 2007 at 18:49 Quote
i too am running a hadley and i love the loud clicky sound

Posted: Nov 3, 2007 at 19:20 Quote
kizame wrote:
Hi,this may sound really dumb,but can someone explain to me what the clicks actually are and what pawls are?I have ridden bikes all my life and have often wondered what the hell that clicky noise is in the hub,and have noticed that some bikes are louder than others,also what are the points of engagement?

if you've ever used a rathcekt, the clickign soudn is the same sound. a wheel with teeth and an arm to engage is the basic mechanism, but mroe complex with a hub

Posted: Nov 3, 2007 at 20:25 Quote
freestylerider19 wrote:
wow you kids are dumb, the louder the hub the more points of engagement which makes it a better hub, you shouldnt have a preference of loud or silent, it should be good or bad

you realize that you can make a deore louder then a king just my putting a lighter weight grease into it?

and you can make a king quieter then an old deore by putting super heavy grease in it...

sure the more times it clicks, the more points of engagement it has, but not the louder it clicks Rolleyes .

think before you talk next time and maybe you won't look like such a douche bag.

Posted: Nov 3, 2007 at 20:39 Quote
fluder wrote:
freestylerider19 wrote:
wow you kids are dumb, the louder the hub the more points of engagement which makes it a better hub, you shouldnt have a preference of loud or silent, it should be good or bad

you realize that you can make a deore louder then a king just my putting a lighter weight grease into it?

and you can make a king quieter then an old deore by putting super heavy grease in it...

sure the more times it clicks, the more points of engagement it has, but not the louder it clicks Rolleyes .

think before you talk next time and maybe you won't look like such a douche bag.

you wouldn't want to take that to the extreme, though, if you run too lightweight of a grease in your hub, you'll burn it up and could do damage to your hub doing dh and higher-speed stuff -> coming from my lbs owner/bike mechanic

Posted: Nov 3, 2007 at 20:41 Quote
I would have to agree with the last post this is a really stupid topic with silent and loud hubs. This is nonsense.

Posted: Nov 3, 2007 at 20:52 Quote
just because it clicks more doesnt mean it has more engagement points. the companies choose how many eng. points they want and make the hub that way. the more eng. points the hub has, the faster it will respond and hook up when you start pedaling. and when you put a heavier grease in, it takes more time for the pawls to get to the point where they are fully engaged. so the pawl isnt moving as fast and when it stops it doesnt make as loud of a click, and when its a light grease, they move really quickly into engagement, so it "clicks" into position really fast.

Posted: Nov 6, 2007 at 14:59 Quote
4mr2thc0 wrote:
Mostly Heard, Rarely Seen Wink

ya the have ot be the silentest hub iv eeva ridden

Posted: Nov 6, 2007 at 15:02 Quote
i have a silent one but would prefer a clicky one because i love the sound they make in the airBeer

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.016718
Mobile Version of Website