Powered by Outside

Info on living in Whistler

PB Forum :: Canada - West
Info on living in Whistler
Mod
Posted: Jan 25, 2009 at 12:14 Quote
Yes, but the sheer volume of tourists aren't going because it is too expensive and there is too much uncertainty. These are the people Whistler needs as they spend thousands.

O+
Posted: Jan 25, 2009 at 12:16 Quote
laurie1 wrote:
Yes, but the sheer volume of tourists aren't going because it is too expensive and there is too much uncertainty. These are the people Whistler needs as they spend thousands.
ahhhh i gotcha now. Sorry i totally forgot whistler was a touristy city because once you have been up there 5+times it loses its touristy-ness. But i see what you are saying now. Its the people that go there once or twice in their life and buy those "I 3 Whistler" T-Shirts that spend the real money. Because of their shear volume.
Gotcha now. But by no means is whistler going to shut down, sure the tourist shops might, but the whole thing.

Posted: Feb 15, 2009 at 8:49 Quote
I just happend to come across this site the other day and figured since there were so many other people who wanted info on guiding in Whistler besides me, I'd post it up.
The company is called Peak Leaders, and they offer a course called the Whistler Mountain Bike Instructor Development Camp. Basically, its a month long camp that teaches you all the stuff you need to know to become a guide at Whistler.

http://www.peakleaders.com/instructor_courses/Whistler-Mountain-Bike-Instructor-Development-Camp/19

Its a little pricy, but then end result might be the dream job you've been looking for, for the summer at least.Wink

Mod
Posted: Feb 15, 2009 at 8:58 Quote
A little pricy is a bit of an understatement! That course costs over $5300 Canadian to attend and by the looks of it, doesn’t include anything other than the course itself. I don’t see people flocking to this course at that price. The world is in a recession or a depression and people are saving their money as they are worried to see what else can happen... There was a main page article written about this a little bit ago. Sounds cool and all just out of the reach of many...

Posted: Feb 15, 2009 at 9:05 Quote
actually, they include accomadations, meals, and a season lift pass, as well as a bunch of other things i cant remember off hand. I was also under that impression until I did a little further reading. With all of those things covered, I don't think its a half bad price at all.

check this link for more info.

http://www.peakleaders.com/articles/MTB-Included-in-the-cost/8

Posted: Feb 15, 2009 at 10:15 Quote
Well I got my holiday working permit the other day in the mail so I am for sure moving to whistler. I will probably fly up in may to look for some housing and apply for some jobs then move the the beginning of June.

I was wondering is there any valet parking jobs in Whistler?

Mod
Posted: Feb 15, 2009 at 10:19 Quote
huckingaDemo7 wrote:

At several of the nicer hotels there are valet services. Then again, you more than likely can't do them as their insurance policy won't cover you as you are too young.

Posted: Feb 15, 2009 at 10:33 Quote
laurie1 wrote:
huckingaDemo7 wrote:

At several of the nicer hotels there are valet services. Then again, you more than likely can't do them as their insurance policy won't cover you as you are too young.

Oh ya, Whats the age there? Around here it 20.

I know I would have to take the Canadian written test to get a Canadian licenses.

Mod
Posted: Feb 15, 2009 at 11:01 Quote
You can drive in Canada with an American license without a problem. The issue is your age and the insurance companies here in Canada. To work valet at most places, you have to be at least 25 because of the insurance policy the hotels and restaurants have. There are a lot of nice cars in Whistler so any accident is costly and the clientele at the places with valet aren’t exactly cheap. I would not count on getting a valet job if I were you.

Posted: Feb 15, 2009 at 11:13 Quote
laurie1 wrote:
You can drive in Canada with an American license without a problem. The issue is your age and the insurance companies here in Canada. To work valet at most places, you have to be at least 25 because of the insurance policy the hotels and restaurants have. There are a lot of nice cars in Whistler so any accident is costly and the clientele at the places with valet aren’t exactly cheap. I would not count on getting a valet job if I were you.

Good to know. I guess I will look for other jobs in hotels, maybe a bell boy. Do they get tips?

Im spoiled now, I work valet at a very up scale area and love tips, its more then my check.

Mod
Posted: Feb 15, 2009 at 11:16 Quote
Yeah, they get tips.

O+
Posted: Feb 15, 2009 at 11:56 Quote
That camp looks like a good camp. If you dont want to spend AS much money look into Endless Biking Training Camps Its a two course camp, each one is about a week long. and $400 per course. that other course looks super sick though, and probably 10000xxx better course.

Posted: Feb 15, 2009 at 12:42 Quote
to avoid expensive accomodations you could always buy a cheap winnabago and live in it and find someone there to let you use there mailing addres for job purposes as i think whistler requires you to have a local address and bank account.

Posted: Feb 15, 2009 at 13:37 Quote
Well this course provides the accomadations for the duration of the course, but after that you're on your own i guess. I think they help you out with job placement, but i guess its up to you to find a place to stay while working there. Do the guide companies themselves provide accomadation for the staff?

O+
Posted: Feb 15, 2009 at 13:41 Quote
dobermanntrials wrote:
Well this course provides the accomadations for the duration of the course, but after that you're on your own i guess. I think they help you out with job placement, but i guess its up to you to find a place to stay while working there. Do the guide companies themselves provide accomadation for the staff?
Usually they do not.... Unless it is a summer camp such as SGC or COC in which case they probably do. But normal whistler camps and guides will not. They will more than likely offer staff discounts and re-imbursments, maybe even loans, to you if you need to purchase a house in whistler.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.022317
Mobile Version of Website