Powered by Outside

As a bicycle mechanic what is your most hated job?

PB Forum :: Mechanics' Lounge
As a bicycle mechanic what is your most hated job?
Posted: Jan 28, 2009 at 12:29 Quote
not really a hated job, but i love/hate when people come in and tell me about the trails they just rode or something that involves biking that they did that day and im stuck at work wanting to go ride.

Posted: Feb 26, 2009 at 6:09 Quote
whats a bicycle mechanic make an hour? roughly.

Posted: Feb 26, 2009 at 6:45 Quote
bloodbrother wrote:
whats a bicycle mechanic make an hour? roughly.

depends on where you're at, the shop, and your level of experience.... starting out with no experience I wouldn't expect anymore than 8 an hour. The highest skilled mechanics with the most experience can make up to about 20 an hour or more, once again, this highly depends on the shop.

Posted: Feb 26, 2009 at 6:50 Quote
was just wondering. thanks. gonna ask the lbs too.

Posted: Feb 26, 2009 at 7:10 Quote
I hate:
f*cking around with hubs (can be fun though)
trying to remove shit that is stripped/stuck
trying to tell people that a part they bough does not fit
and screwing with forks

Posted: Feb 26, 2009 at 7:31 Quote
Hate....dirty bikes, ignorant customers, chainstore bikes, winter, people who know it all, and the list goes on!!

Love...riding after hours, customers who pay the price and don't get all bent out of shape, installing real cool shit, summer, kids who buy their first good bike and the list goes on!!

Posted: Feb 26, 2009 at 7:44 Quote
The things I hate are the following:

The people that think they know everything about fixing bikes,

The people that bring thier bikes in for stupid stuff

anything else retardted.

Posted: Feb 26, 2009 at 7:59 Quote
You know, this thread really reaffirms why I am NOT a bike mechanic anymore. I have worked for both Toys R Us and a "real shop", and both sucked ass. Toys R Us sucked because every third bike I build would have a bent fork (and I tend to put the front tire on towards the end). The real shop just sucked for me because I hated that the love of my life (biking) had now become my job. I can't mix business and pleasure like that, so, respect to those of you that do. I used to love it when people would come in with a bike with a really bent in fork. "Ummmm it bent" ....."So stop riding it into walls, your warranty doesn't cover that."

Too many stupid people come into the bike shop. If there were a "cool, knowledgeable, adults only, no crap bikes" bike store, I would love to work there. Until then, good luck you guys. Salute

Posted: Feb 26, 2009 at 8:04 Quote
typecaRl wrote:
Just thought of another really annoying job. Building those bloody kids bikes and having to put handle bar tassells on and dolly seat and stabilizers, and little handle bar bags, and fluffy seat covers etc etc all while trying not to get your oily hands all over it lol.

Sorry for another post, but at Toys R Crappy, this was the ultimate struggle for me. Do you know how many WHITE parts come on a little girl's bike? My dirty hands used to leave sooooo many smudges and shit. It is so nice to know that somebody somewhere feels my pain. Thanks!!!! Beer

Posted: Feb 26, 2009 at 8:09 Quote
i love it all, except pickin dog shit out of tire treads with an old tire lever haha. ... not fun.

Posted: Feb 26, 2009 at 8:13 Quote
I used to hate anything to do with bikes that cost under £70.
Everything about them was rubbish. Dead Horse

Posted: Feb 28, 2009 at 16:48 Quote
when you get some ignorant shit who comes in the shop wanting a warranty done on his bike and says my son never jumped his bike after his son obviously jumped and abused the f*ck out of his bike im mean seriously how do you f*cking bend bars on a mountain bike and say oh he fell......... DOING WHAT!!!

seised shifters are a bitch
fixing bikes that shouldnt even be fixed
cheap bikes that need replacement parts and then people freak out after they find out how much it is to be fixed and then dont want to pay that much
showing people bikes that you know will never buy the parts but constantly boor you with what they think they know about bikes

Posted: Mar 3, 2009 at 9:28 Quote
I must say I do dislike some (take note SOME!) engineers who come in to the workshop and think they know everything. They know it all on paper but nothing in real life.

But there is one cool engineer who comes in a bit, and I chat to him a bit about cool solutions that hes found to make servicing/cleaning bikes easier.

Posted: Mar 3, 2009 at 9:50 Quote
Changing a flat, telling them to put a tire liner in, they say no thanks, they come back again the next day with another flat, you suggest a tire liner, they thankfully decline saying they'll be more careful, they come in the next day with a flat, you propsose using a tire liner to avoid a flat, they say they're good without, they come in the next day with a flat........... on and on and on....

Posted: Mar 3, 2009 at 10:11 Quote
MUnibiker wrote:
I must say I do dislike some (take note SOME!) engineers who come in to the workshop and think they know everything. They know it all on paper but nothing in real life.

But there is one cool engineer who comes in a bit, and I chat to him a bit about cool solutions that hes found to make servicing/cleaning bikes easier.

Engineer types are the ones who often bring stuff back f**cked up after claiming "I'm an engineer, I'll fit it".

Seen that happen sooo many times...

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.028128
Mobile Version of Website