Pinkbike will be undergoing scheduled maintenance on May 29 at 9pm PST for up to 6 hours. We apologize for any inconvenience caused during this time.
Powered by Outside

Does stripping paint take off weight

PB Forum :: Dirt Jumping & Street
Does stripping paint take off weight
Posted: Jun 11, 2009 at 10:01 Quote
joshdavies wrote:
Did you know that the distance an object travels off a jump is independent of it's mass? Wink
lol, so you've done science class heh??? gravitaional acceleration equals 9.81m/s/s e.t.c. e.t.c.Geek

doesn't take into account that you roll slower/impact harder into bumps on the run up and have more friction/rolling resistance on a heavier bike, heavier bikes also require more force to control/lever meaning you are likely to hit the jump slower and not launch with such refinement.... = jumping less distance!
Whip

Posted: Jun 11, 2009 at 23:54 Quote
joshdavies wrote:
Did you know that the distance an object travels off a jump is independent of it's mass? Wink
in my opinion weight is more relatet to how easy the bike is to move around

Posted: Jun 12, 2009 at 2:30 Quote
yonsu wrote:
joshdavies wrote:
in my opinion weight is more relatet to how easy the bike is to move around

Yes this is true. Also how easy it is to bunnyhop etc will affect how far you go off a jump.

But I don't think stripping the paint will make a noticeable difference.

and ctd07: everything you have said there has been to do with hitting the jump slower in some way or another, so of COURSE you will not travel as far. And congratulations on remembering the value for g. You are clearly well versed in GCSE physics also Big Grin

Posted: Oct 18, 2009 at 14:16 Quote
rawing is cool but should not be in any way connected to losing weight.

Posted: Oct 18, 2009 at 14:49 Quote
joshdavies wrote:
Yes this is true. Also how easy it is to bunnyhop etc will affect how far you go off a jump.

But I don't think stripping the paint will make a noticeable difference.

and ctd07: everything you have said there has been to do with hitting the jump slower in some way or another, so of COURSE you will not travel as far. And congratulations on remembering the value for g. You are clearly well versed in GCSE physics also Big Grin

Stripping paint is somewhat valuable because it offers nothing other than a look.

You have to remember that even if it's a few grams - It's only an appearance.

Posted: Nov 1, 2009 at 6:21 Quote
thanks everyone for all the answers Smile

Posted: Nov 1, 2009 at 6:27 Quote
Yes but only by 80-100g variable on how many coats and whatever mood the spray painter was in that day.

On bikes the difference would be minimal.

However on larger things like cars and airplanes then the paint weight can be upto 200kg if its had a few resprays in its time.

Posted: Nov 1, 2009 at 7:18 Quote
johanwetwilly wrote:
I was just wondering, about how much weight does stripping a frame take off.

About the same amount as peeling the skin off of one of your arms. And it's about the same amount of usefulness, both pretty much accomplish nothing except removing the protective covering.

Posted: Dec 12, 2009 at 13:42 Quote
i lost .5 of a pound off of my vps aline.... it looks so sexy but it wouldint be worth it if it was a smaller frame like an stp or a p2. clear coat it a must tho even from touthcing the bare alluminum it leave a finger print mark. this is what it looks like https://www.pinkbike.com/photo/4366290/ https://www.pinkbike.com/photo/4360747/and before https://www.pinkbike.com/photo/3543501/

Posted: Dec 12, 2009 at 13:48 Quote
if you ate a biscuit before riding raw frame weight savingd would be lost!

Posted: Dec 12, 2009 at 13:51 Quote
true but its the looks that i like... did you take a look at the pictures?

Posted: Dec 12, 2009 at 13:59 Quote
shiny, have rawed crankarms etc, but not a whole frame, was tempted with my new gt, but the whotes pimp and raw polished up is even harder to keep clean!

Posted: Dec 12, 2009 at 14:03 Quote
if you spray some clear coat it makes it so its just like paint to clean and plus it makes it really durable

Posted: Dec 12, 2009 at 14:04 Quote
Will obviously take off weight. If you notice it is a different matter however.

Posted: Dec 14, 2009 at 9:31 Quote
stripped the 3 thick coats of rattle can plus the factory paint and the extra ferrels and chopped my seat tube down,frame weighed 4.5 lbs before that and 3.9 after all that work, its free so it was well worth it in my eyes, i'll post some pics soon, i'm new here and a major weight weenie.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.023730
Mobile Version of Website