Powered by Outside

Marzocchi 08 DJ1 - only go down an inch!

PB Forum :: Dirt Jumping & Street
Marzocchi 08 DJ1 - only go down an inch!
Posted: Oct 10, 2009 at 16:32 Quote
oh right thanks alot i will do it soon Big Grin

Posted: Oct 18, 2009 at 15:36 Quote
umm i got that problem for my 08 dj2's ive read everything and still dont really understand it could some one give me a little bit better explanation on the drilling and everything? ThanksSmile

Posted: Oct 19, 2009 at 9:50 Quote
Folzy wrote:
umm i got that problem for my 08 dj2's ive read everything and still dont really understand it could some one give me a little bit better explanation on the drilling and everything? ThanksSmile

« The mechanic at my LBS did the Nova66's tutorial with a few changes and it worked great ! See below how that went:

Tools needed:

» Drill
» 1.5mm drill bit
» Fork oil (160-180 cc of 7.5w)
» A paper clip

Step One = Drill a 1.5 mm hole 21mm from the bottom of the hexagon nut.

The cartridge will loose pressure. Dont expect a huge BANG ... It only did a quiet psssssssssss. At the end of the cartridge there is a seal. If you do here the first drill only the nitrogen will get out. This is why this step is very important... If you drill somewhere else the pressure will push the oil and the result is a huge mess.

Step Two = Make a 1.5mm hole at 35mm from the bottom of the cartridge (make the operation very slowly).

The oil will begin to leak so get something to put it.

Step Three = Make a 1.5mm hole at 12mm from the top of the tube. Depth of drilling max 4mm.

Now The oil will leak with ease and you will be able to cycle the rod trough all the travel. Make shure the respect the 4 mm (the clip with a mark will help) otherwise you can damage the rod.

Step Four = Make sure the cartridge has no oil in it and then re-assemble the cartridge in the fork. Get rid of the oil from the cartridge.

Step Five = Fill back up with 7.5w suspension oil (quantity varies from 160 cc to 180cc)

This was done to a Dirtjumper 2 from 2009.»

It was in page 3 ... I cant do better than this.

Posted: Oct 19, 2009 at 14:05 Quote
ok but do you fill the holes that you drill up with something or what? because you cant just leave the holes how they are, can u?

Posted: Oct 19, 2009 at 14:13 Quote
Folzy wrote:
ok but do you fill the holes that you drill up with something or what? because you cant just leave the holes how they are, can u?

Your coverting from a cartrige system to an open bathe damper, so you leave the holes as they are. (correct me if im wrong)

Posted: Oct 19, 2009 at 15:27 Quote
yes you leave the holes as they are thats how it becomes an openbath systems

Posted: Oct 19, 2009 at 15:33 Quote
if i take my fork apart soon ill post up pictures i need to replace somethign in mine anyways but mines all drilled

Posted: Oct 19, 2009 at 16:52 Quote
k kool then ill understand it a little more Smile

Posted: Oct 29, 2009 at 6:16 Quote
I have the official Powerpoint with pictures and word document from Marz for this procedure. I called them about my fork yesterday and they recomended anyone doing this procedure. it is easy if you measure, and it will save lots of down time. if anyone wants the Marz approved doc's PM me and I will send them to you when I get a free second.

Dan

Posted: Nov 1, 2009 at 13:00 Quote
sacredG wrote:
I have the official Powerpoint with pictures and word document from Marz for this procedure. I called them about my fork yesterday and they recomended anyone doing this procedure. it is easy if you measure, and it will save lots of down time. if anyone wants the Marz approved doc's PM me and I will send them to you when I get a free second.

Dan

Thanks for this file, it helps me so much. But I've got some questions.
Why step 3 is important ? 160cc means 160 cubic centimeter ?

Thanks again !

Posted: Nov 1, 2009 at 13:04 Quote
xzof wrote:
sacredG wrote:

Dan

Thanks for this file, it helps me so much. But I've got some questions.
Why step 3 is important ? 160cc means 160 cubic centimeter ?

Thanks again !

CC is the same as ML. 1cc = 1ml

Posted: Nov 1, 2009 at 15:39 Quote
No problem, I am not sure. I used just a tad over 160cc's as my fork still felt a little to soft. Everything worked perfectly. Except that when I drilled the first hole I must have missed the oil and nitrogen chamber because the shock did not lose pressure. so I skipped step 2 and went to step 3 and drilled the hole at 35mm's the cartridge lost pressure and blew oil 30ft in the air! it was crazy! then I just drilled the last hole punched the tube and added the oil. it all works great now!

Posted: Nov 1, 2009 at 15:42 Quote
sacredG wrote:
No problem, I am not sure. I used just a tad over 160cc's as my fork still felt a little to soft. Everything worked perfectly. Except that when I drilled the first hole I must have missed the oil and nitrogen chamber because the shock did not lose pressure. so I skipped step 2 and went to step 3 and drilled the hole at 35mm's the cartridge lost pressure and blew oil 30ft in the air! it was crazy! then I just drilled the last hole punched the tube and added the oil. it all works great now!
haha yeah man when i drilled the 35mm hole oil went nearly all over my face but on my t-shirt and then ceiling as well!

Posted: Nov 1, 2009 at 23:50 Quote
Haha the same happens to me ! Another thing, is that I didn't have a 1.5mm drill but a 2mm. Anyway, I didn't put oil in yet. Do you think I've got to put more oil or put a thicker oil like 10w ?

Posted: Nov 2, 2009 at 4:28 Quote
xzof wrote:
Haha the same happens to me ! Another thing, is that I didn't have a 1.5mm drill but a 2mm. Anyway, I didn't put oil in yet. Do you think I've got to put more oil or put a thicker oil like 10w ?
yes a bigger hole will enable quicker flow so you use thicker oil to eliminate this

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.028855
Mobile Version of Website