Powered by Outside

Are Hydro Brakes Good For DJ/Street?

PB Forum :: Dirt Jumping & Street
Are Hydro Brakes Good For DJ/Street?
Posted: Jul 15, 2009 at 16:27 Quote
[Quote="foxmtbing"]
atomic-angel wrote:
but if you bending rims often maybe you need to get your spoke tensioned more often, might need better spokes or even stronger rims or your wheel might not be build properly

Uh not really, V-Brake rims aren't as strong as disk rims. And not only that, I have never seen/ridden or heard of a DJ bike with a perfectly trued and tensioned rear wheel. Street and dirt jumping is abusive, wheels don't stay trued very long.[/Quote
V-Brakes are stronger by the way. You can't compare Hydraulic Disk brakes with Cable V's. Street and Dirt jumping IS Abusive, but you shouldn't even be running hydro with street. I can see why you'd use them for Jumping, but for street... I don't know why. Disk brakes are usually heavier and less powerful than V-brakes. And V-brakes are so much cheaper to maintain and replace than disk brakes. Why not save your money?

Looking at your Rim issue, I agree. However, in MY opinion, if you're going to ride street or dirt jump, you should LEARN how to true a wheel, because you're going to be bending a lot of wheels.

Posted: Jul 15, 2009 at 16:42 Quote
[Quote="chillined"]
foxmtbing wrote:
atomic-angel wrote:
but if you bending rims often maybe you need to get your spoke tensioned more often, might need better spokes or even stronger rims or your wheel might not be build properly

Uh not really, V-Brake rims aren't as strong as disk rims. And not only that, I have never seen/ridden or heard of a DJ bike with a perfectly trued and tensioned rear wheel. Street and dirt jumping is abusive, wheels don't stay trued very long.[/Quote
V-Brakes are stronger by the way. You can't compare Hydraulic Disk brakes with Cable V's. Street and Dirt jumping IS Abusive, but you shouldn't even be running hydro with street. I can see why you'd use them for Jumping, but for street... I don't know why. Disk brakes are usually heavier and less powerful than V-brakes. And V-brakes are so much cheaper to maintain and replace than disk brakes. Why not save your money?

Looking at your Rim issue, I agree. However, in MY opinion, if you're going to ride street or dirt jump, you should LEARN how to true a wheel, because you're going to be bending a lot of wheels.

V-Brakes are not as powerful as disk brakes. its not that I can't true wheels, its just not a very reliable way to do things. Most pros and people I know run disk brakes, very few guys are still on Vs...

Posted: Jul 15, 2009 at 16:46 Quote
chillined wrote:
Disk brakes are usually heavier and less powerful than V-brakes.

Yea disk brakes have way less power thats why downhillers run V brakes.

Posted: Jul 15, 2009 at 16:52 Quote
WOW there is some BS on this thread. Rims with a brakeing surface are not as strong as those without???? Where did you get that info, a box of shreddies? That is definatly in the top 100 for silly comments. Then the comparison of V's to running brakeless? That made even less sence and I read it 3 times. There was even something about logic in there that was just plain sad. As for the V's being a pain with less than true rims,, come on. I have been riding V's for,, well since they came out and have not had to care about true rims ever. That being said I do like to build wheels and my wheels are nevre horrible, but rarely true. As for disks, a bent disk ends your ride on the spot (unless you have the tools to remove it and ride brakeless). I have trashed a rear wheel and just dissconnected my V's, stomped on the wheel and rode home. Thy that with a disk. Sa for comparing a damaged hub flange to a damaged disk, your kidding right? I have killed a disk, but not once have I ever even scratched a hub flange. The hub flange is actually protected by a number of spokes and is maybe 3" in diameter.. A disk is lets go with 6" (that's twice as big for those counting) it is also about an 1/2" farther from center than the flange... Yup sounds close... Disks were invented because guys in BC were melting their V pads on DH runs. I have yet to see that happen on a DJ or street bike. BMXers use U brakes which are the worst of the 3 but they seem to work. There is absolutely no reason to run disks on a DJ, park or street frame other then show. Unless you ride in the rain alot, they are better in the wet.

Posted: Jul 15, 2009 at 16:59 Quote
definately no, my friend bought some juicy three for his dj bike and it was bad, dont do it unless yourwilling to beat them up and have cracked cables with laking fluid. you cant go wrong with easy to tune cables.Wink

Posted: Jul 15, 2009 at 17:04 Quote
ok so waht puts more strain on the frame, a disc brake or v-brake?

Posted: Jul 15, 2009 at 17:13 Quote
neither, v-brakes just wear down faster and are much weaker.

Posted: Jul 15, 2009 at 17:25 Quote
i run a Hayes nine hfx xc and ill like them the liquid can be expensive but you should change it once a year i paid 150$ and hell cant go wrong

Posted: Jul 15, 2009 at 17:27 Quote
Come on. Much weaker??? Define weaker..Wear down faster? My disk pads were pretty much toast and I used them maybe a season. I've had V pads last years. As for stress on a frame, Ive seen frames crack from disks, never seen one crack from V's. (that's why all theese frames with disk mounts have a brace on them)

Posted: Jul 15, 2009 at 17:31 Quote
okay, i dont want vee brakes!
my frame dooesnt take Vee brakes

Posted: Jul 15, 2009 at 17:38 Quote
Hey Adamrock14, You already have a juicy 7 installed on to your bike...
Just throwing that out there...

Posted: Jul 15, 2009 at 17:51 Quote
TheBigEarl wrote:
definately no, my friend bought some juicy three for his dj bike and it was bad, dont do it unless yourwilling to beat them up and have cracked cables with laking fluid. you cant go wrong with easy to tune cables.Wink

your missing a key point
the fact that your friend bought a juicy 3
the SHITTIEST hydro ever made by humans
and i dont know what type of shit youre doing that you crack hydro cables, unless your a tool

Posted: Jul 15, 2009 at 18:11 Quote
ricar wrote:
WOW there is some BS on this thread. Rims with a brakeing surface are not as strong as those without???? Where did you get that info, a box of shreddies? That is definatly in the top 100 for silly comments. Then the comparison of V's to running brakeless? That made even less sence and I read it 3 times. There was even something about logic in there that was just plain sad. As for the V's being a pain with less than true rims,, come on. I have been riding V's for,, well since they came out and have not had to care about true rims ever. That being said I do like to build wheels and my wheels are nevre horrible, but rarely true. As for disks, a bent disk ends your ride on the spot (unless you have the tools to remove it and ride brakeless). I have trashed a rear wheel and just dissconnected my V's, stomped on the wheel and rode home. Thy that with a disk. Sa for comparing a damaged hub flange to a damaged disk, your kidding right? I have killed a disk, but not once have I ever even scratched a hub flange. The hub flange is actually protected by a number of spokes and is maybe 3" in diameter.. A disk is lets go with 6" (that's twice as big for those counting) it is also about an 1/2" farther from center than the flange... Yup sounds close... Disks were invented because guys in BC were melting their V pads on DH runs. I have yet to see that happen on a DJ or street bike. BMXers use U brakes which are the worst of the 3 but they seem to work. There is absolutely no reason to run disks on a DJ, park or street frame other then show. Unless you ride in the rain alot, they are better in the wet.

excuse me but are you living in the 90's still? pretty much every bike made for freeride/dh/dirtjump/park today has disk brakes. they are affordable and they work way better than v-brakes, so why in the world would you want to ride v-brakes?

Posted: Jul 15, 2009 at 18:22 Quote
Stoked-Commencal wrote:
If your talking about the way he's saying to use a V-brake instead of a Disc then I still don't get you? A V-brake has plenty of power to lock a wheel. Even more so than a disc, Why do you think trials bikes use V's in the back?
in case you didnt know most trials riders who run a v-rear use a hydro rim brake Razz

Posted: Jul 15, 2009 at 18:47 Quote
MartinMassel wrote:
they are affordable and they work way better than v-brakes, so why in the world would you want to ride v-brakes?

My guess is that you haven't spent a decent amount of time on a good, properly setup vee brake system (pads,cables,levers).

All this talk of stronger/better is crap, both will lock a wheel and both have their respective places in the cycling world. A good quality vee brake setup with a bit of grind on the rim will hold you just as well as a top of the line disc brake will. When it comes to down to which is better, that all depends on how the brake is going to be used.

If you're constantly riding your brake on a trail then obviously a disc brake is going to be the better choice. The same goes for if you regularly ride in wet weather, a disc brake will perform better under that circumstance. However if you're just an average street/dj rider who goes out on nice days, a vee brake is plenty fine. That way you don't have to worry about hitting your disc on anything and you don't have to worry as much about breaking a line. Even the occasional sloppy day on a vee brake isn't bad with a good brake pad, I still use the same set of vees on my XC bike that I have for many years and they haven't let me down once.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.025318
Mobile Version of Website