Powered by Outside

Santa cruz v10, commencal supreme dh, session 88, m6, 951, or shocker?

PB Forum :: Downhill
Santa cruz v10, commencal supreme dh, session 88, m6, 951, or shocker?
Posted: Nov 19, 2009 at 12:15 Quote
Hmmm... Demo 9 has no similarities to the newer 8's really. The 7 has difference geo and the Pitch has absolutely nothing in common with anything.

But yeah, I'm saying you ride them over the back of the bike instead of having your weight more front-oriented.

Posted: Nov 19, 2009 at 12:31 Quote
Interesting

When i tried them i was over the back at first and the back felt lazy and unresponsive (just a bit). Riding with my weight more in the middle and letting the rear wheel follow the front made things better and more controlled IMO, although it took more time to adopt to this style of riding.

This is what the bikes designer Jason Chamberlain said in the NSMB interview:

nsmb: Obviously Sam is looking to go as fast as possible but can you tell me what sort of handling characteristics he was out to acheive?

JC: He wanted a bike that best fits his style. He rides a little more over the bars and steers the corners from the front. Short chainstays compliment that weight balance very well. Cornering is critical in racing, so the low BB and short chainstays make the bike turn like it’s on rails. And the pedaling independence keeps the wheel in contact with the ground when sprinting. It’s the perfect recipe for going fast and maintaining control.

Posted: Nov 19, 2009 at 13:46 Quote
Corners from the front....

sensible stuff when designing a bike.

O+
Posted: Nov 20, 2009 at 3:20 Quote
bigquotesThe Shocker is obviously not a good jump bike, it wants to stick to the ground! It's not going to feel to nice in the air but sticks to the ground like glue

Most downhill machines are designed with 8-10" of travel and most glue to the ground. However it is a common myth that the Shocker does not jump well, on the contrary it jumps very well and floats very nicely with a great neutral balance point where nose dive or high nose is not experienced.

Of course any bike is rider dependant.

Posted: Nov 22, 2009 at 19:54 Quote
so i heard 88's get dents and chips really easy

Posted: Nov 22, 2009 at 19:55 Quote
mxrider1993 wrote:
so i heard 88's get dents and chips really easy
Only if you're a hackshow.

Posted: Nov 22, 2009 at 19:58 Quote
Not really...

The downtube is thin... dent-prone

Posted: Nov 22, 2009 at 19:59 Quote
bigquotesSanta cruz v10, commencal supreme dh, session 88, m6, 951, or shocker?
How I hate these threads.
Just get the one you like most.

Posted: Nov 22, 2009 at 19:59 Quote
yeah thats what ive heard and trek wont warrenty?

Posted: Nov 22, 2009 at 20:12 Quote
Trek has fixed all the problems for next years version of the frame.

I have owned a shocker for two seasons and it has been a great bike, its a little on the heavy side but still an amazing bike, it jumps well corners like its on rails and gets through the rough stuff with ease. If your looking at getting a bike that will last days in the bike park and still be able to go "huck" some gnar drops while at the same time ripping up a dh course then get a shocker!

For next year my choice is between a new shocker or a new 951, im leaning towards the 951 as I want to try something new and try to build up a very light dh bike. Any of these bikes will be amazing so pick one that fits your budget and go with it and rip it apart.

And just a reminder how good you are all depends on you so if by getting one of these high end dh rigs you think your going to get faster than on your demo then think again.

90% RIDER 10% BIKE

Posted: Nov 22, 2009 at 20:15 Quote
75% Rider

25% Bike

Posted: Nov 22, 2009 at 20:21 Quote
I would say:

If you'r a pro:

90% rider
10% bike

If you'r a regular weekend rider:

75% rider
25% bike

thomasz wrote:
Trek has fixed all the problems for next years version of the frame.

I have owned a shocker for two seasons and it has been a great bike, its a little on the heavy side but still an amazing bike, it jumps well corners like its on rails and gets through the rough stuff with ease. If your looking at getting a bike that will last days in the bike park and still be able to go "huck" some gnar drops while at the same time ripping up a dh course then get a shocker!

For next year my choice is between a new shocker or a new 951, im leaning towards the 951 as I want to try something new and try to build up a very light dh bike. Any of these bikes will be amazing so pick one that fits your budget and go with it and rip it apart.

And just a reminder how good you are all depends on you so if by getting one of these high end dh rigs you think your going to get faster than on your demo then think again.

90% RIDER 10% BIKE
Not really, I've taken my XC bike down a DH trail and it took me like 5 minutes longer...

lol

for pro's the bike makes even more of a difference hahahah

Posted: Nov 22, 2009 at 21:45 Quote
iggz wrote:
lol

for pro's the bike makes even more of a difference hahahah

Give Minaar a Demo 8, ask him to ride a trail.

Give him then a 951.

I bet time difference is less than 5 seconds. Why? Because he is a GOOD rider, he knows how to ride a different bike from almost the very first time. He is gonna ride them both to the limit.

Is the same in motorsports, and in almost every single sport. The better the rider, the less difference the machine makes (but the most importance). Give me a 100hp car and after that the same car with 200 hp. I will probably go much much faster with the second version. Why? Probably because in the stright line I will run quicker. But if you give those cars to a pro racer, time difference wont be so huge, since speed wont be determined so much by power but for physics.

At least thats my theory, and what I've seen in some friends/riders who ride pro and have riden with different bikes the same trails, and the difference wasnt huge.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.020764
Mobile Version of Website