Powered by Outside

Newmarket (And surrounding area)

PB Forum :: Canada - East
Newmarket (And surrounding area)
O+ FL
Posted: Apr 22, 2010 at 16:24 Quote
newmarket-rider wrote:
any secret to finding the entrance. I was lookin on google street view, I'm guessing the entrance is somewhere around where that forest picks up, behind the guardrail, but I can't really see an entrance in.

Im heading out in like 10 minutes, just lookin for some pointers so I don't miss it.

Trevor

Yeah that is where the entrance is. Its kind of easy to miss looking from the road, but once you drop down into the ditch the trail opens up right away.

Went for a quick ride today, didn't see anyone though.

Is Jokers hill north or south of highway 9?

Posted: Apr 22, 2010 at 16:32 Quote
ya I found it, pretty decent ride. Probably the best trails in Newmarket! Im deffinitly down for building when you need a hand.

also jokers hill is south of davis. behind the Good Times Bar and Grill (previously cafe) behind that subdivision, and just follow trails in the general direction of west, but most of them go to the hill anyways. Its sandy, so its nasty for building. we kinda tried but its not great. At the top of the hill is a planted forest so its kinda dull for trails but there are a couple.

It is quite a vast area, a decent trail could be laid out but its reasonably high foot traffic, and lots of dogs.

Not a great place for riding, but the top of the hill is a wonderful place for a wee bonfire at night.

Trevor

O+ FL
Posted: Apr 22, 2010 at 16:37 Quote
Ah ok, I've ridden Jokers then. Definitely did not have too much fun back there with all the dead end trails and sand haha

What part of the trail did you ride today? Did you get all the way to the back near Bathurst?

O+ FL
Posted: Apr 25, 2010 at 12:57 Quote
There is now a little tracked digger thing sitting beside the parking lot at the park by the trails.

I am praying that it doesn't go into the forest. Confused

Posted: Apr 25, 2010 at 16:53 Quote
nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo, dammit. the town has made notice of putting trails in there. I was hoping we had another year or two though before they destroy it.

I wonder if it would be worth it to approach the town to do things collaboratively so that they have some input from real trail users rather thab decisions made by stroller pushers and retards from the parks and rec dept.

O+
Posted: Apr 25, 2010 at 17:58 Quote
no way!!! I just went there and it's soo sick! Thats super lame, when do they plan on starting that?

O+ FL
Posted: Apr 25, 2010 at 18:02 Quote
Ah shit. Where is this notice?

If they are going to make new paved stroller paths, then I don't think we have anything to lose by approaching the town. Perhaps if we present something professional looking to the town parks department about how many people bike on these trails and how they are 100% taken care of by volunteers, then perhaps some sort of agreement can be made to at least not have the trails destroyed (or allow us to make a new network of trails after). Although I realize if they have already surveyed where the trail will go, then there is probably nothing we can do to stop it.

But anyways. I think I'll just ignore this news for now haha. I'll be out riding like usual tomorrow at 5:30. I don't know if anyone noticed, but someone either tried to move one of the bridges or it started to shift. So on Saturday I completely removed the bridge and made new rock beds for it to sit on. I also fixed its alignment with the trail, it flows a lot better now and shouldn't move at all over the summer.

Posted: Apr 25, 2010 at 18:19 Quote
If you're going to talk to the town, do it asap. The town of Aurora is very, very good about things like that, not too sure about Newmarket.

Posted: Apr 25, 2010 at 18:19 Quote
ouch sucks guys,
what type of trails are these anyways?

O+ FL
Posted: Apr 25, 2010 at 18:32 Quote
I would describe the trails as mostly XC like (maybe all mountain type riding even?), with some free ride sections tossed in for good measure. There are some hills that are super fun to blast down, a few log rides and ladder bridges etc etc. The trails aren't the most technical, but they are super fun to ride and very well taken care of.

photoguy9 wrote:
If you're going to talk to the town, do it asap. The town of Aurora is very, very good about things like that, not too sure about Newmarket.

So I assume you have approached Aurora about a similar situation? Have any tips? Did you write a letter to the parks department, ward leader etc? Or did you just simply call them up?

Posted: Apr 25, 2010 at 18:37 Quote
Canadmos wrote:
photoguy9 wrote:

So I assume you have approached Aurora about a similar situation? Have any tips? Did you write a letter to the parks department, ward leader etc? Or did you just simple call them up?

Called the head of the Parks and Rec' department about getting them to help us fix up the Aurora skatepark, and they were more then willing to do so. So we've ended up adopting the skatepark, and are working alongside the Parks and Recreation to keep it in good shape.

Posted: Apr 25, 2010 at 18:42 Quote
i'd love to come out for a ride if you wouldn't mind showing me around!(In a few weeks when my ankle recovers. Is a hardtail alright?
the first step is figuring out what ward you are in/ who your representative is, next you can contact them and wait for their response. Make sure you factor in that youre not asking for funding as thats a plus, and that people wear helmets, theyre maintained etc for the safety aspect. Theyll likely tell you the steps you need to take, whether it be contacting parks and rec, or going to a meeting.

Posted: Apr 25, 2010 at 18:43 Quote
I'd be game to come out and ride/dig sometime too if I can get a ride up there.

Posted: Apr 25, 2010 at 18:43 Quote
Im sensing a roadtrip!

Posted: Apr 25, 2010 at 18:44 Quote
It's 10min tops for me though Razz

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.030789
Mobile Version of Website