Duthie Hill

PB Forum :: USA - West
Duthie Hill
Posted: Aug 31, 2012 at 22:40 Quote
I'll be on a yeti colored big hit with a guy on another big hit

O+
Posted: Oct 9, 2012 at 17:48 Quote
Hey everybody,

King County Parks found some unauthorized freeride trails at Raven Hill near Soaring Eagle Park in Sammamish a few weeks ago. Lots of jumps and structures -- with a few nailed to live trees. They were pretty upset because this is a reserved natural area next to a retention pond system and it was pretty heavily impacted. They started tearing everything down right away and because of the estimated cost to repair the damage, at least $10,000, they filed a case with the King County Sheriff's department. A deputy came onsite, assessed the situation and took all the tools into evidence.

At that point King County Parks approached Evergreen about the incident and we recommended a solution that would avoid involving the legal system. The county agreed so we'd like to see if the builders will come forward, work with us to clean up the mess, and do some legitimate trail work at Duthie (or Tiger, Soaring Eagle, Grand Ridge). This is a good solution to an unfortunate situation and will help show that mountain bikers support legitimate trails and are trustworthy partners.

Builders: Please contact me and let's get started. Evergreen wants to help and by working together we can build more legitimate trails that will last forever! That includes freeride stuff and some serious elevation drop. There’s opportunity out there and lots more on the horizon, but rogue building really does jeopardize that.

Everybody: if you know anyone who used to ride or build there, please forward this message on to them. Urge them to contact me.

No judgement or hand slapping. Let's just clean up the area and do some legitimate trail work at Duthie... it's really going to need it after that record dry spell... and rain is coming!!

Thanks,
Mike Westra
Evergreen Mountain Bike Alliance
cell: 425-241-7806
email: mwestra@evergreenmtb.org

Posted: Oct 9, 2012 at 18:33 Quote
more freeride/downhill!! good downhill too not 30seconds of a bumpy trail. 1 thing that i would like to see is some actual intense challenging trails, stuff like up on garbo at whistler.

Posted: Oct 24, 2012 at 15:41 Quote
I5-Troll wrote:
King County Parks found some unauthorized freeride trails at Raven Hill near Soaring Eagle Park in Sammamish a few weeks ago

Dude, that's a bummer that it got found & destroyed. Never been there, but I do ride some unauthorized jumps in a different county. I like it there because I don't have to drive 45 min to the closest authorized trail system. If more cities / counties would designate dirt jumps like they do with tennis courts / basketball courts / skateparks then we wouldn't have this kind of problem. Plus... have you seen the parking lot at Duthie? Can it really hold the additional traffic of everybody in King County trying to ride there?

Posted: Oct 24, 2012 at 15:48 Quote
KingsgateDirtJumper wrote:
I5-Troll wrote:
King County Parks found some unauthorized freeride trails at Raven Hill near Soaring Eagle Park in Sammamish a few weeks ago

Dude, that's a bummer that it got found & destroyed. Never been there, but I do ride some unauthorized jumps in a different county. I like it there because I don't have to drive 45 min to the closest authorized trail system. If more cities / counties would designate dirt jumps like they do with tennis courts / basketball courts / skateparks then we wouldn't have this kind of problem. Plus... have you seen the parking lot at Duthie? Can it really hold the additional traffic of everybody in King County trying to ride there?
Yes it most definitely can as the kids that built the illegal jumps can ride their bikes to duthie in under five minutes. Also read this,
"Hey Duthie riders,

King County Parks found some unauthorized freeride trails at Raven Hill near Soaring Eagle Park in Sammamish a few weeks ago. Lots of jumps and structures -- with a few nailed to live trees. They were pretty upset because this is a reserved natural area next to a retention pond system and it was pretty heavily impacted. They started tearing everything down right away and because of the estimated cost to repair the damage, at least $10,000, they filed a case with the King County Sheriff's department. A deputy came onsite, assessed the situation and took all the tools into evidence.

At that point King County Parks approached Evergreen about the incident and we recommended a solution that would avoid involving the legal system. The county agreed so we'd like to see if the builders will come forward, work with us to clean up the mess, and do some legitimate trail work at Duthie (or Tiger, Soaring Eagle, Grand Ridge). This is a go..."
there is also plenty of unauthorized freeride around that is better built and much more sustainable

Posted: Nov 28, 2012 at 18:46 Quote
So on the more advanced trails, what would be the order of difficulty?

I know that 2HI, Ryan's flow,rehab, and Voodoo, are all mediumish difficulty (kinda listed in order) but what comes next?

HLC is a good next step, But the wet+wood makes it less appetizing this time of year. Is Gravy train(or others near it) close to this? or are they much harder? What would be the best next step after VooDoo?

Dirt corps seems a little to difficult coming from voodoo.... and i haven't gotten to walk the trails by Ryan's (to busy ridding!)

Thanks!

-Levi

Posted: Dec 6, 2012 at 14:37 Quote
saber63 wrote:
HLC is a good next step, But the wet+wood makes it less appetizing this time of year.

I agree.... F riding HLC when the conditions are not perfect.

Gravy Train is the next in progression after Voodoo. Then comes Semper Dirticus and HLC. Good Luck!

Posted: Dec 11, 2012 at 12:24 Quote
Levi,
Our crew is right with you. We started HLC before it was so wet. Then we found Gravy Train and that boosted us into working on Dirticus. I also started working the 2 lines next to gravy, double trouble and guy line. Seems to be working out for us.

Posted: Jan 8, 2013 at 16:38 Quote
Thanks for the advice!

We haven't made it back out to Duthie do to ski season (Other then a work party, cleaned up moving on)

Once we make it back out there I'll be sure to go scope out Gravy train!

Thanks!

-Levi

Posted: Jun 14, 2013 at 21:59 Quote
Did any one get pictures and/or video of the "Go huck your self" comp held at Duthie last saturday as part of the summer fest? Or any of the comps for that matter!

I was unable to attend, but did make it out on Sunday. Dirt was perfect and weather was nice!

Posted: Jul 11, 2013 at 13:33 Quote
hey guys,

Im gonna be in seattle in a couple weeks and I'm gonna bring my shoes, pedals, all that good stuff. Is there anywhere nearby Duthie to rent a bike for a day or demo one (with no intention to buy) for a day?

I was hoping either in seattle, or close to the trails? I was reading stuff on other forums that wasn't particularly helpful...someone tossed out big tree bikes

any input would be great

Posted: Sep 8, 2013 at 15:05 Quote
I'm traveling through Seattle and was wondering about duthie hill? What kind of trails and do you shuttle the trails or hike a bike? I like trails like Aline dirt merchant is it worth a stop thanks

O+
Posted: Oct 8, 2013 at 19:00 Quote
I'm gonna make a trip over the mountains to ride Duthie for a couple days, just wondering what the best trails would be for an 8in DH bike? My FR/All Mtn. bike is in the shop for warranty issues so that will be my only bike available.

I've looked through a few pages of the thread but got impatient and figured I would just ask.

Thanks!

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.019853
Mobile Version of Website