Kona Vs. Specialized The ultimate showdown

PB Forum :: Freeride & Slopestyle
Kona Vs. Specialized The ultimate showdown
Posted: Apr 6, 2009 at 22:22 Quote
pake wrote:
well that bike is 5 years old now. i can say that my sx trail has minimal to zero brakjack.

take your coil off and take a vid.... when i see no brakejack ill believe you

Posted: Apr 6, 2009 at 22:26 Quote
Cliff-Huxtable wrote:
morshutheshopkeep wrote:
Cliff-Huxtable wrote:

dont need it? apparently all the money specialized puts into marketing there FSR suspension should have been put into developing it further. No brake jack you say? i disagree.... watch this video before calling me out https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GGznEH-Atb0

thats alot of brake jack.... about the same as kona
no, its not alot of brake jack seeing as there is no coil
\

well on the kona site.... they have the coil off as well and it has the same amount of jack... then with the dope bar on there is absolutely no brake jack....

http://konaworld.com/dope.htm watch for yourself
without the dope system the demo wins, with the dope system the demo loses....BUT that demo is almost 6 years old

Posted: Apr 6, 2009 at 22:29 Quote
morshutheshopkeep wrote:
Cliff-Huxtable wrote:
morshutheshopkeep wrote:

\

well on the kona site.... they have the coil off as well and it has the same amount of jack... then with the dope bar on there is absolutely no brake jack....

http://konaworld.com/dope.htm watch for yourself
without the dope system the demo wins, with the dope system the demo loses....BUT that demo is almost 6 years old

well seeing how when that six year old fsr big hit came out, they said the fsr system eliminates break jack.... but clearly didnt, you cant really blame me for being skeptical now

Posted: Apr 6, 2009 at 22:45 Quote
Brake Jack = Suspension extending when brakes are applied

Brake Squat = Suspension compressing when brakes are applied

The video is of brake squat and is labeled as the same thing as brake jack which is wrong and is the reason for this confusion.

Specialized said FSR eliminated brake jack, not squat. Most dually's have brake squat and for good reason: It shifts the rider weight to the back the rider can gain more control. It also helps shift weight back on super steep sections.

Posted: Apr 6, 2009 at 22:53 Quote
lafalot wrote:

The video is of brake squat and is labeled as the same thing as brake jack which is wrong and is the reason for this confusion.

Specialized said FSR eliminated brake jack, not squat. Most dually's have brake squat and for good reason: It shifts the rider weight to the back the rider can gain more control. It also helps shift weight back on super steep sections.

i think you have it mixed up here bud. Brake jack is when you apply the brakes and the brake forces are transferred into the suspension, causing it to go thru its travel. Causing wheel hop, brakes locking, non active suspension.

Posted: Apr 6, 2009 at 22:55 Quote
Cliff-Huxtable wrote:
lafalot wrote:

i think you have it mixed up here bud. Brake jack is when you apply the brakes and the brake forces are transferred into the suspension, causing it to go thru its travel. Causing wheel hop, brakes locking, non active suspension.

I didn't mess it up. If brake jack is causing suspension to compress, then brake squat is causing suspension to extend, then it doesn't match the definition of "jack" and "squat" Jack means to raise something or to extend something, squat means to compress, decrease in profile, shrink?

Posted: Apr 6, 2009 at 23:01 Quote
lafalot wrote:
Cliff-Huxtable wrote:
lafalot wrote:

I didn't mess it up. If brake jack is causing suspension to compress, then brake squat is causing suspension to extend, then it doesn't match the definition of "jack" and "squat" Jack means to raise something or to extend something, squat means to compress, decrease in profile, shrink?

when you have brake jack your tire moves up causing the suspension to compress and your bike to squat.

Posted: Apr 6, 2009 at 23:12 Quote
by your definition, "brake jack" means the tire moves up - suspension is compressing, and "brake squat" means your bike is now squatting? That doesn't make any sense. Anyways, "jack" and "squat" are not the same meaning, in fact they are opposites...even if you knew nothing about bikes, you would not say "brake jack" = "brake squat"

Posted: Apr 6, 2009 at 23:21 Quote
Here is Specialized

And Kona is...

Some where down here

Posted: Apr 6, 2009 at 23:43 Quote
steve695 wrote:
Here is Specialized

And Kona is...

Some where down here

So true

Posted: Apr 7, 2009 at 0:00 Quote
how is this even a thread? if you want a cheap bike get a kona or get a good bike=demo. people are saying that it depends on price but its about which one is better not which one is cheapest.

Posted: Apr 7, 2009 at 0:07 Quote
[Quote="lafalot"]by your definition, "brake jack" means the tire moves up - suspension is compressing, and "brake squat" means your bike is now squatting? That doesn't make any sense. Anyways, "jack" and "squat" are not the same meaning, in fact they are opposites...even if you knew nothing about bikes, you would not say "brake jack" = "brake squat"

thats pretty sad. i cant help you if simple things like this are beyond your comprehension. when your tire goes up and your suspension compresses the bike lowers. sit on your bike the rear tire goes up and the bike goes down. pretty simple

Posted: Apr 7, 2009 at 0:09 Quote
Cliff-Huxtable wrote:
lafalot wrote:
Cliff-Huxtable wrote:

when you have brake jack your tire moves up causing the suspension to compress and your bike to squat.

watch this and learn something https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xxts1S3Qxao

Posted: Apr 7, 2009 at 1:23 Quote
morshutheshopkeep wrote:
Cliff-Huxtable wrote:
poozank wrote:
the fact that kona specs a floating brake tells you alot about the preformance of the bike spesh doesnt because they have much better performance and dont need it

dont need it? apparently all the money specialized puts into marketing there FSR suspension should have been put into developing it further. No brake jack you say? i disagree.... watch this video before calling me out https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GGznEH-Atb0

thats alot of brake jack.... about the same as kona

THATS HOW THEY TEST IT, SAME AS KONA..... DUMBASS!!!

Posted: Apr 7, 2009 at 11:38 Quote
Cliff-Huxtable wrote:
Cliff-Huxtable wrote:
lafalot wrote:

watch this and learn something https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xxts1S3Qxao

That must be the most informative video I've seen yet Facepalm Seriously, if you are still saying "brake jack" is the same thing as "brake squat" then you are ignoring the English language, because those two phrases do not mean the same thing.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.011678
Mobile Version of Website