Powered by Outside

how close have you been to giving up

PB Forum :: Freeride & Slopestyle
how close have you been to giving up
Posted: Jan 10, 2008 at 13:39 Quote
Nah didn't care, I'm actually glad I went to bmxing cause I got way better in less then three weeks of ridin' and I only ride bmx brakless.

Posted: Jan 10, 2008 at 13:40 Quote
snoppy647 wrote:
Nah didn't care, I'm actually glad I went to bmxing cause I got way better in less then three weeks of ridin' and I only ride bmx brakless.

i switched from bmx to mtb cause i hated bmxing

O+
Posted: Jan 10, 2008 at 13:44 Quote
mgriley wrote:
hey

There was 1 time where i was ready to just go home and put my bike on ebay, i got so anoyed i keeped on crashing every think i tryed to do i just failed.
its like your my cl0ne

Posted: Jan 10, 2008 at 13:45 Quote
well my bmx weighs at 22 pounds considering my mountain bike weighed 38 pounds, so you can imaginehow much easier it was for me to do more things than mtbing. You can see whta my mtb looked like in my profile...

Posted: Jan 10, 2008 at 13:46 Quote
dirtjumper51 wrote:
snoppy647 wrote:

i switched from bmx to mtb cause i hated bmxing

Think its different for different people i changed from bmx to 24 inch found it so much easier and three years on im now riding downhill freeride-----------yet one of my old friends that i dont see asnymore went from mtb to bmx Confused

Posted: Jan 10, 2008 at 13:55 Quote
broke my collar bone at the start of summer 06. it totally sucked because i had everything planned. was gonna ride park and street almost everyday and maybe head out to the trails once or twice. what annoyed me even more was that i couldnt afford to replace the parts on my bike so i had t sell it and settle for something a little cheaper.

also happened to a friend (kinda). he face planted a 10ft drop and ripped the lower inside part of his jaw (where your front teeth and jaw line meet) open. he was out for a couple of weeks and is pretty scared t do anything like that again which is kinda holding him back.

my 3rd one is my friend who started driving. the hassle wasnt that he got a car, more he got a car..crashed it..then tried to fix it in the most complicated and expensive way possible. due to this he had t sell his bike for more than half of what it was worth and continue to fix the car..which to this day is still not in full working order.

dont give up just because you crash. yes, we all understand that people get seriously injured, but thats all part of the risk, isnt it? thats what we were in this sport for..the feel of the trees flying past as you get closer and closer on a bit of track that isnt much more than 5 inchs wide at times!

yours sinscerly, a blithering idiot...Big Grin

Posted: Jan 10, 2008 at 14:13 Quote
I've been in and out of bicycling for years now. The one thing that has kept me involved with the sport is my job at a local bike shop. Its a frecking awesome job. I've tried other work, but its just not as fun.

The first time I had serious doubts about riding was back in my BMX days. I had a really sweet DK General Lee which I loved to ride. I had only a rear brake on it but one day the brake stopped working, so like any fundamentalist bike mechanic, I rode brakeless. One day while riding at the dirt jumps, I landed a bit squirrly and smashed into a tree. I tried to ditch the bike right before, but it just bounced back and hit me on the knee cap. I couldn't walk for a few months, and riding has never been the same since. For one thing, I don't ride bmx anymore. That doesn't stop me from doing extreme shit on a MTB though.

Another weird experience is that in '06 I was really into biking and rode to work rather than drive. At the end of the year I was so pumped about riding that I bought a Foes FXR. This year though, I have barely touched it and drive everywhere. I just hope that its a passing phase so I can get back on a bike and ride my worries away.

Posted: Jan 10, 2008 at 18:12 Quote
during the summer i tore every ligament in my lnee and the doctor person said i wont be able to bike for the rest of the year and i was souposed to get surgery close to the summer so i would be able to bike than so i was about to seel my bike my mom said no just wait it out and just wait it out so about a month later i was bikeing than snow came and i got surgery 8 months earlyer so i can bike again

Posted: Jan 10, 2008 at 18:19 Quote
Well, I basically quit biking every year from December to June/July. I play abseball and that's my real passion (goign to play in college) so biking comes in second to that.

Posted: Jan 10, 2008 at 19:27 Quote
dirtjumper51 wrote:
during the summer i tore every ligament in my lnee and the doctor person said i wont be able to bike for the rest of the year and i was souposed to get surgery close to the summer so i would be able to bike than so i was about to seel my bike my mom said no just wait it out and just wait it out so about a month later i was bikeing than snow came and i got surgery 8 months earlyer so i can bike again

knee*
doctor is a title, not a prefix for lack of name
supposed*
sell*
just wait it out only needs to be used once
biking*
i had surgery*
earlier*
could bike again*

O+
Posted: Jan 10, 2008 at 19:37 Quote
I was so close to giving up on my singlespeed rig when I stripped the brake mounts in the fork, and the mechanic at the shop heli-coil didn't quite have enough material, not to mention the fact that the brake wouldn't mount right after that, and the chain was skipping for no reason, the cranks were squeaking, and my rear brake had to be completely re-set. I even derailed (before I had a little chainwatcher) and my right foot went in front of my studded DJ pedal, and it hit the ground and dragged. I had fat gashes from my ankle to the back of my knee from every stud. It was pretty bad, but I got it ALL figured out somehow.

Posted: Jan 13, 2008 at 0:17 Quote
1 time I was close to fully dedicate to windsurf, when i just couldn't notice there is no good wind conditions here in my town very often Blank Stare . But i can tell that shit is alot a fun. I ended up switching from a DH bike to a Hardtail and i couldnt be happier right now Big Grin Moon

Posted: Jan 13, 2008 at 0:27 Quote
When i was a little younger i tryed a 30-40 gap and came up short Madder .I ended up in hospital with crushed vertibria t2 t3 t4 t5 Nurse waited for 3 years and now i am back.DH FR never meant so much just rememberSalute it will all come back.be strong and never give up. even if you have had the ride from hell and back things will always get better..Big Grin Moon

Posted: Jan 13, 2008 at 1:00 Quote
I dont think i can ever give it all up.
wouldnt feel right.

Posted: Mar 30, 2008 at 2:56 Quote
dude i totally agree, i dont do anything but ride , work and hang with my girl, and if it wasnt for riding id go crazy. but i can see why some dudes throw in the towl. at the end of the day what we do is pretty dangerous and you dont realise this until you have a major stack and really hurt yourself or your best mate really hurts himself.
for me tho ive been over 3 bonnets put my head thru a windscreen, had 2 times where ive broken vertabrae in my neck, dont know how many times ive scorpianed off my face and endless grazes and tree hits, but i love it and i never go riding with the intention of hurting myself, just wana have fun aye.
watchmefly wrote:
there are some sad stories here but the fact is, for many people riding is life, without it they have nothing. when everything else is f*cking up it can be all youve got. just gotta stick with it through the hard times

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 1.083402
Mobile Version of Website