Ti springs

Posted: Dec 30, 2008 at 21:14 Quote
[Quote="Hummeroid"]
markbatt wrote:

THis is when you ask for free length measurement. I can double check, but Im 99% sure the RCS and Obtainium ones fit a DHX. Double check though

holy cow its not that complicated if it says there should be two sets of numbers a three digit one meaning wheight in pounds and another in stroke if the numbers are 2.75x 400 it means its for a shock with 2.75stroke and takes 400 pounds to fully compress

the only thing you have to worry about is getting the same brand as they have different circumferences

Posted: Dec 30, 2008 at 21:16 Quote
huckoveraduck wrote:
in context it works - like you have already said dude - that means it takes for example 400lbs to compress the spring 1 inch.

e.g 'oh look at that spring its a 400 pounds per inch spring'

but if you simply say 'whats pounds per inch?' it makes no sense. for there is no numerical value for it to relate to.
pounds per square inch is with pressure and has nothing to do with springs

Posted: Dec 31, 2008 at 8:23 Quote
faith1rider wrote:
I have a fox 2.8 x 500 spring on my Faith. Will an obtainium ti spring 400 x 3 be alright? I think it should be fine...and by the way I'm 150lbs.

Thanks

Can someone give me a clear answer to this?Rolleyes

Posted: Dec 31, 2008 at 8:26 Quote
freeride5 wrote:
huckoveraduck wrote:
that means it takes for example 400lbs to compress the spring 1 inch.

You're retarded.

Posted: Dec 31, 2008 at 8:50 Quote
there was a thread on this a while back.

anyway i could not get an answer on why there is a performance difference (other than weight), eventually someone answered my question. basically because there is less mass in a Ti spring it is able to accelerate and deccelerate faster as it travels through its stroke. this will make it morre responsive.

However, and this is a big however, lets say for example the spring has a stroke of 3 inches, pretty typical of a MTB. this means the the average distance travelled by the material is 1.5 inches. therefore there wil be f*ck all momentum in the spring as it goes through its travel so this argument, although it is technically correct, will fall flat on its face.

the only real benifits in a ti spring is the weight you will save, which can actually be a fair bit if you have a long stroke spring.

to answer your question though a Ti spring weighs about 40% less than a steel spring, (same spring rate and length) oh and like was said earlier use the same spring rate

PS huckoveraduck you are an idiot, you clearly know nothing about the things you are talking about, learn when to admit when you are wrong or f*ck off, people dont want to listen to posts like yours.

Posted: Dec 31, 2008 at 12:16 Quote
JokerMachine wrote:
freeride5 wrote:
huckoveraduck wrote:
that means it takes for example 400lbs to compress the spring 1 inch.

You're retarded.
are you kidding pounds per square inch is psi
this is the dictionary definition

Pressure a gas or liquid exerts on the walls of its container. Also called PSIG for pounds per square inch gauge. See also bar.

Posted: Dec 31, 2008 at 12:18 Quote
freeride5 wrote:
are you kidding pounds per square inch is psi
this is the dictionary definition

In the part you quoted, he didn't mention anything about PSI. Or pounds per square inch. He said it takes 400 lbs to compress the spring one inch.

O+
Posted: Dec 31, 2008 at 14:00 Quote
Ill fill my 36 Talas with helium and get back to you guys.

Ive spent enough time on audio forums and wasting my money on a hobby where placebo's are rampant. I backed out of that hobby due to its money sucking black hole that gives you no real sense of that is awesome.

Ill file TI spring under placebo performance gains. Though the weight reduction sounds attractive

Posted: Dec 31, 2008 at 14:14 Quote
Cata1yst wrote:
No.

Posted: Dec 31, 2008 at 14:17 Quote
igz- wrote:
Cata1yst wrote:
No.

Theres nothing with doing it, it wont damage anything. Just might leak it out easier, but its not going to lose any weight

O+
Posted: Dec 31, 2008 at 14:19 Quote
I was sarcastic.
Its kind of the same thing minus the bigger weight reductions. The whole idea that one spring (Helium in this case) could perform better by not "ramping up"

Posted: Dec 31, 2008 at 14:23 Quote
Cata1yst wrote:
I was sarcastic.
Its kind of the same thing minus the bigger weight reductions. The whole idea that one spring (Helium in this case) could perform better by not "ramping up"

Youre still going to have a pressure/density increase when the volume inside decreases. Itll still ramp up.

O+
Posted: Dec 31, 2008 at 14:32 Quote
Hummeroid wrote:
Cata1yst wrote:
I was sarcastic.

Youre still going to have a pressure/density increase when the volume inside decreases. Itll still ramp up.

I know its Air sprung. with the Fox damper thats usually a good thing because id like to avoid bottom outs as much as i can.

Again what i previously said was A JOKE lol

Posted: Dec 31, 2008 at 14:36 Quote
I have a fox 2.8 x 500 spring on my Faith. Will an obtainium ti spring 3 x 400 be alright? I think it should be fine...and by the way I'm 150lbs.

Thanks

O+
Posted: Dec 31, 2008 at 14:37 Quote
You might be able to get away with a smaller spring...but i doubt a larger....
Im no expert but im pretty sure im correct

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.021841
Mobile Version of Website